Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done K, look forward to seeing you smash that pb in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Izoard wrote: »
    I spotted the Oylgate t-shirt on Sat while corralling the kids into Rathfarnham Church for Communion mass - easy 8, followed by a 5 mile PB - nice work!

With the easy run, I figured the cotton tshirt would do! :)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Thrilled for you K, a very well deserved result..... Cork here she comes:D:D:D
    You also forgot to mention that you looked cool, calm, collected and cute on the finishing straight:)

A fly went into my eye before the finish line and I had to stop myself trying to get him out of there - there was a video on the finish line last year - not sure if there was one there yesterday, but I didn't want to look too demented crossing the line!! :cool:
    Great running on a hot day

Looking very good for cork. Whats the target?

sub 3:30. Fingers and toes crossed for a good 'on the day' experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Congrats on the PB K. Looks like its all coming together and shaping up nicely for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

jcsmum wrote: »

sub 3:30. Fingers and toes crossed for a good 'on the day' experience.

You def have the speed for it. Good pacing and decent weather are all thats required I reckon.

Monday May 20
    Extra rest day

Tuesday May 21
    Fartlek session with the club. The little man cycled down to training so I jogged along beside him (in a semi nervous protective state, he rarely if ever cycles). The adult group all set off to the starting point on the Firhouse road - 300 meters at pace, 100 meter recovery for 30 minutes.
    The two people in my group that I normally tag on to weren't at training so I ended up in a group of 4 which became 3, then 2 and I did the last few minutes on my own. I wasn't sure it I was running faster (it didn't feel like it) or that other people were taking it easier. Anyway, it all felt pretty okay, I worked hard and finished strong.
    c/d back to training field and then back home with my little cyclist.
    6 miles covered

Wednesday May 22
    5 easy miles this morning. Legs were tired, so they were happy with the pace, 8:58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I ended up in a group of 4 which became 3, then 2 and I did the last few minutes on my own.

That had to boost the confidence :)

Have you seen what that sunflower one has been doing lately? :eek:

On fire, the bitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

On fire, the bitch!

Don't ya just hate people that have no training log on here:D:D

As for K, i'm guessing the taper is going well and that you haven't started going stir crazy just yet? Mind how you go and be sensible

chinguetti wrote: »

As for K, i'm guessing the taper is going well and that you haven't started going stir crazy just yet? Mind how you go and be sensible

I don't need her to have one, I just have to look at my elbow now.

Last Saturday I was looking longingly into the distance :(

On fire, the bitch!

She is SO on fire. Plus a team gold medal in the M&T. Delighted for her.
    We'll all be watching our elbows or her back or her dust....... :)

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »

Am doing what I'm told by the powers that be and doing as little as possible. Suits me just fine! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Am doing what I'm told by the powers that be and doing as little as possible. Suits me just fine! :)

Time to resurrect this log as things are quiet around here! Does doing as little as possible mean nothing?? :D

Even though you are from Kerry we will grant you a temporary Cork visa for the weekend that's in it. :p

Are ya all set?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck in Cork, hope it goes all to plan and remember your 5 mile race, it will give you confidence.

blockic wrote: »
    Time to resurrect this log as things are quiet around here! Does doing as little as possible mean nothing?? :D

Even though you are from Kerry we will grant you a temporary Cork visa for the weekend that's in it. :p

Are ya all set?

I'm not worthy! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm not worthy! :rolleyes:
    Don't worry, as a fellow blow in, i'll look after you!

Are you able to come for a few drinks after the race?

Not an awful lot to report on over the last week or so, I think I've taken the rest part of taper to a whole new level. I've never ran so little in the 2 weeks before a marathon - but the boss advised it and who am I to argue!

Thursday May 23
    Rest day. Had planned on doing the club session but was absolutely shattered so I gave it a miss.

Friday May 24
    Planned rest day

Saturday May 25
    Was only 'allowed' to do 5 miles so met coach, TBB and 2 other club mates in Marlay for a magical mystery tour of the trails and fields there - some of these fields I never knew existed. Really enjoyed this run, great company and while the legs were a bit sluggish I was enjoying the challenge of running with the fast guys.

Sunday May 26
    Rest day (another one :rolleyes:)

Monday May 27
    3 miles around the block - no garmin, haven't a clue of pace, but it was s-l-o-w. The legs were like 2 lumps of lead, awful run. Glad it was only 3 miles - a bit worrying though.

Tuesday May 28
    Ladder session with the club. 1 field, 2 fields, 3 fields, 3, 2, 1. (90 second recovery) Didn't bother with the garmin, so no idea of exact distance or pace. I dropped down a group for this one but probably ran a bit faster than I intended to. It's a tough session, but it was nice to semi enjoy it for a change.
    5-6 miles covered

Wednesday may 29
    Rest day - physio session. Thought the legs were fine just needing a bit of TLC. Turns out they were quite tight, especially in the lower leg.

Thursday May 30
    3.5 miles this morning. Beautiful morning and really could have kept on running.

Will do another 2-3 miles tomorrow and then that's me done. Am super excited and have no nerves at all (so far). Taper has been okay, not used to all this non-running though. My head hasn't always been in the right space (non-running related) over the last while but I'm trying to focus on the positive. Training, bar one LSR has been really good, training with the club has been very consistent and the Terenure 5 mile was huge for my confidence.
    Hopefully all going well on the day, sub 3:30 should be mine. :)

ncmc wrote: »
    Don't worry, as a fellow blow in, i'll look after you!

Are you able to come for a few drinks after the race?

I'll have the family with me and I'm heading straight back to Dublin Monday evening. I'll have to go and stalk you now so that I can spot you at the start line. I'll be in my green/gold singlet hovering around the 3.30 pacers! :cool::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You might want to do another couple of slow miles Sunday morning, just to keep your legs loose. You'll smash the 3.30 anyway

I'll have the family with me and I'm heading straight back to Dublin Monday evening. I'll have to go and stalk you now so that I can spot you at the start line. I'll be in my green/gold singlet hovering around the 3.30 pacers! :cool::D
    Well I'll be about 15 minutes behind you with the 3:45 pacers :D I'll be dressed head to two in pink and black Nike, complete with a white Nike baseball cap (my husband has taken to calling me Rory since he saw my race get up :pac:)

I'll keep an eye out for you... best of luck!

RayCun wrote: »
    You might want to do another couple of slow miles Sunday morning, just to keep your legs loose. You'll smash the 3.30 anyway

Duly noted Ray, but logistically that may not be possible.

• Advertisement

No pressure, but your next post is your 3000th! Better make it epic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hopefully all going well on the day, sub 3:30 should be mine. :)

No doubt about that, you've put in the work and are in flying form! Looking foward to reading all about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck K...you will reap the rewards of the fab training you have done....looking forward to hearing all about it....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of luck on Monday and you will smash 3:30 I have no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'll be in my green/gold singlet hovering around the 3.30 pacers! :cool::D
    Will that be the Bros Pearse singlet or the County jersey??:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

belcarra wrote: »
    Will that be the Bros Pearse singlet or the County jersey??:p

They both run on grass anyway! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Go K go. All the best on Monday, bring it home in sub 3.30 and show them Cork people that Kerry know a thing or two about running too:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Best of luck at the weekend. No fear you'll have a great race
    Fingers crossed for a nice mild day and you can keep out of the wheelchairs!!

Best of luck Karen, 3:30 just a formality at this stage. You'll smash it.

You bitch :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Best of luck k, hope the run goes well, and have a great weekend.

Advertisement