Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Very well done you!! Super report too - loved the honesty....many things we all have thought and can relate to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Congrats K. Great running. You obviously left it all out there so you should be really proud!
    ...and some of us will only ever dream of a time like that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Well done on the super time and I enjoyed your race report. I'm really glad you got the reward that your training deserved. You have been so consistent and you keep delivering the progress.
    I'm seriously impressed at your ability to push through the pain to the point that you are pretty much out on your feet.
    Just one question, do you indulge in gels on the way around?

Enjoy the post marathon recovery.
    Whether your appetite for the marathon gets reinvigorated over the next few weeks doesn't really matter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. If it doesn't I'm sure you'll enjoy the Berlin experience without the pressure of delivering a time. And there's plenty of shorter PBs for the taking to satisfy any competitiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

K, well done. Reading the last few miles of that report was painful so i'm guessing to live it was a bit of a head wreck. It took alot of guts to keep going when all you wanted to do was probably stop so fair play to you.

Don't be thinking what you might have been, you got your goal time and you did it with room to spare on a bloody tough day.

I like the bit about the guy running up besides you keeping you going. It reminds me of the guy you ran behind in Limerick for most of the last mile with your hand on his back so he wouldn't stop even though he wanted to. The running gods were looking after you so there was no fear of you.

Enjoy the rest and just find some fun again in your running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done K, great race and report!

We all get into the mindset of having to clock up marathons and better our times partly because of the company we keep on this forum but as Chinguetti says, find the joy in running again, after my own experience I'm of the mind that finishing strong and enjoying the race is worth more than the time on the clock.

Onwards to Berlin! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Right, I'm actually going to be serious for once... :eek:

Firstly, I know only too well and too recently how a very tough marathon can physically and mentally drain you. I will most likely run more but at this point don't relish let alone warm to the thought. This in no way is an attempt to tell you ''not to give up on marathon's'', I know better than tell a Kerry woman what to do ;)

So, with that in mind a couple of observations, I found it interesting with regards to the ''run to feel'' approach. It's one I haven't tried yet but whatever about a 5k there's too much that can go wrong over the distance of a marathon unless perhaps you are very experienced. Also, and this may tie in with the above approach, most of your splits are for a considerably quicker time than 3:29:30.... It may be worth considering the possibility that you would have finished outside of the medics tent if you'd ran even 8 minute pace all the way?

Not to hijack your log but I'd be interested to see the thoughts of the many sub 3 guys and/or plus 15 marathoners on here regarding my points above. Whether I'm agreed with or demonised ;) It may be helpful for all of us going forward.

Anyway, all that aside, it's a brilliant achievement for you, 2/3 years ago when we were slogging out those 9:45 20 milers you'd have never believed me if I said you're going to run a sub 3:30 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Also, and this may tie in with the above approach, most of your splits are for a considerably quicker time than 3:29:30.... It may be worth considering the possibility that you would have finished outside of the medics tent if you'd ran even 8 minute pace all the way?

Not to hijack your log but I'd be interested to see the thoughts of the many sub 3 guys and/or plus 15 marathoners on here regarding my points above. Whether I'm agreed with or demonised ;) It may be helpful for all of us going forward.

Anyway, all that aside, it's a brilliant achievement for you, 2/3 years ago when we were slogging out those 9:45 20 milers you'd have never believed me if I said you're going to run a sub 3:30 :D

First of all - very gutsy performance jcsmum. Considering you were in medical-tent distress, you didnt really slow that much at all, and got the goal time in rough conditions.

Im no expert - but will chuck in my two cents. A little disclaimer is that im assuming that weather conditions are good, not like on monday.

As for running by feel. I think its fine, and probably the way to run the fastest times. KCs marathon race reports (except the ones run in tropical conditions) are great for this. The problem is that (in my experience anyway) if you are trying to run as fast as you can, you need to first know what you 'should' feel like at different stages in the race (i.e. at 10K, 13.1, 20 miles etc).

In order to do this, I think you probably need to have ballsed up a marathon or two, so that you know what you should not feel like early on (i.e. what level of effort at 5-10k leads to trouble at 35k). I dont think you get this from McMillan or Daniels calculators etc. Everyone is different, some people can sustain a higher percentage of their LT than others. I even think im different now to a few years ago. You might have run a string of PBs in marathons without a blowup - but will you ever then know if you really ran your fastest? Im not saying blowups are good (far from it), but I do think they are helpful long term. You learn how to deal with the race from the experience.

I used to just stick to goal paces: this led to two marathon detonations previously - one at 15 miles! Last year I used a mixed approach that I think I will stick to. I had a goal target which I thought was challenging but very doable, but I promised myself that I would keep breathing controlled and reach 13.1 miles feeling good - even if that meant missing the target pace. I had good conditions and was feeling good on the day, so as it happens I was on target at 13.1, and this allowed me to push on at 20 miles and run a decent negative split (all other marathons had a positive split). Beat my target by 3+ minutes.

I found the experience totally different running like this - chasing the pain in the last 10K in order to get a pb while you overtake constantly is very different to hanging on for dear life on an even-expenditure of effort strategy in my opinion.

So thats my idea (certainly nothing new, but framed by my personal marathon disasters):

1. set a challenging but very realistic target (i.e. neither wimp nor hero)
    2. make sure breathing is controlled early on - breathing hard = horsing through your sugar = near certain disaster)
    3. Run so you get to halfway feeling good, throw target out of the window if goal pace has you breathing hard before half-way
    4. empy the tank, starting at 18-20 miles. Chase the pain instead of having it chase you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Thank you both - appreciate the comments. I can't put my finger on how or why I chose to run the way I did on Monday. I am usually very cautious during marathons and am a complete and total garmin freak.

At the halfway point slightly in front of the pacers I was super comfortable. I didn't plan on speeding up, it just happened & felt right and I got a lot of confidence from it. From miles 13-21, my splits are good and at no stage did I feel tired or have laboured breathing.

Okay maybe I could have held on until mile 20 to go for it and try to finish strong - maybe it would have worked for me, maybe not. I knew I had a good bit of time banked for the last 3-4 miles so when I was tiring this definitely helped.

When I look at my splits from mile 21 onwards, apart from the last mile and a bit, they are a lot quicker than I thought they were. I don't think that my last mile was a result of going quicker midway. I'm not saying I'm right and I'm not saying that I wouldn't have suffered had I been more cagey - I just feel that the lift I got miles 13-21 were invaluable and had I stayed on a more even effort, I'm not sure that the result would have been the same or better. I played it safe last year and fell apart in the last mile and missed my goal time by 40 seconds or so.

I've run 7 marathons now and only finished strong in 1, my first. I do think the 'running by feel' worked better for me than garmin watching and I'd hope to try it in Berlin - but probably at a slower pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

jcsmum wrote: »
    Thank you both - appreciate the comments. I can't put my finger on how or why I chose to run the way I did on Monday. I am usually very cautious during marathons and am a complete and total garmin freak.

At the halfway point slightly in front of the pacers I was super comfortable. I didn't plan on speeding up, it just happened & felt right and I got a lot of confidence from it. From miles 13-21, my splits are good and at no stage did I feel tired or have laboured breathing.

Okay maybe I could have held on until mile 20 to go for it and try to finish strong - maybe it would have worked for me, maybe not. I knew I had a good bit of time banked for the last 3-4 miles so when I was tiring this definitely helped.

When I look at my splits from mile 21 onwards, apart from the last mile and a bit, they are a lot quicker than I thought they were. I don't think that my last mile was a result of going quicker midway. I'm not saying I'm right and I'm not saying that I wouldn't have suffered had I been more cagey - I just feel that the lift I got miles 13-21 were invaluable and had I stayed on a more even effort, I'm not sure that the result would have been the same or better. I played it safe last year and fell apart in the last mile and missed my goal time by 40 seconds or so.

I've run 7 marathons now and only finished strong in 1, my first. I do think the 'running by feel' worked better for me than garmin watching and I'd hope to try it in Berlin - but probably at a slower pace.

Well done on a great run, you got a great time. Totally understand the feeling about wanting to concentrate on smaller distances etc. Only for i signed up for New York 4 years ago, i wouldn't be doing it this year, having too much fun at smaller distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on reaching ur target with time to spare. Great report. Sorry it got tough in d last few miles. I know that horrible feeling. Enjoy the achievement as it was truely deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Congratulations on a super result. Great performance. You deserved it after all the hard work you've put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Congratulations on your great result! A great race report too, the pain in the last few miles really comes through, I can only imagine what it took to battle through that.

Nothing much to report since Cork, I just didn't want the tumbleweeds to take root here.
    Have run twice since the marathon, 2.5 miles or so on Friday and then 3.5 miles ish this morning (with a few strides thrown in on the last half mile). Both nice slow pace and without garmin. The legs are feeling good and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in back at the club tomorrow.

I'm feeling much better about Cork and am actually allowing myself to relish my sub 3:30 time despite my less than glamorous finish :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I'm feeling much better about Cork and am actually allowing myself to relish my sub 3:30 time despite my less than glamorous finish :rolleyes:

Glad your starting to realise how much you have achieved and I'm pretty sure you just won't jog around Berlin ;) Well done again.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Glad your starting to realise how much you have achieved and I'm pretty sure you just won't jog around Berlin ;) Well done again.

She's jogging around with moi! :) Make sure you've the beers in and seats secured by the time we come through! ;)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    She's jogging around with moi! :) Make sure you've the beers in and seats secured by the time we come through! ;)

Oh yeah, about that......:o;)

Oh yeah, about that......:o;)

Grand, off you trot boss! :cool:

Wednesday June 19
    After a week of no running, I can't say I was full of the joys of heading out for this one, although once I got going, things fell into place. I was under no time constraints, so decided to do my 10 miles of over to Marlay, 2 loops there and then home.
    A nice 3 steady miles over to the park and so I decided to up the pace for the next 4 miles, 8:09, 7:41, 7:48, 7:40 and then 3 steady miles home.
    10 miles 8:05 average pace. Good to be back.

Thursday June 20
    Decided to do a tempo run for this one. 6 miles, average pace 8mm. A steady first 2 miles, then 7:26, 7:21 followed by 2 more steady miles. Can't remember a thing about this.

Friday June 21
    No plan for this, again under no time pressure. Plucked a 7 mile route out of the air and after a warm up first mile, decided to really up the pace.
    Miles 2-6 were 7:43, 7:35, 7:17, 7:29 so happy with this.

Monday June 24
    Was away for the weekend so no running done. Back to business bright and early Monday morning. Not sure what buttons I was pressing on the garmin, brain obviously hadn't woken up so I only recorded the first mile. Looking at mapmyrun I did over 5 miles in around 38 mins. I know I did push myself but I might be 'cheating' a bit here! :)

Tuesday June 25
    Speed session with the club. 400x4, 300x3 and 200x3 (think I got that right). To say that I did not enjoy this is putting it mildly. I did stay with my group, but I think I pretty much hated every rep. On the plus side the splits are all pretty much the same so at least I wasn't slacking off. I found it tough running on grass after so many weeks of road running. It's done and that's all I can say.
    With w/u and c/d 4.5 miles covered

Wednesday June 26
    A semi recovery run this morning, surprisingly the legs felt pretty good for this one. 6 miles, average pace 8:12. Did some sprints (200m x5) for the last mile just to reassure myself that yesterday's club session was a 'once off'. :rolleyes::)

It's been an age since I logged anything, but I have been ticking away, running, training with the club with the odd race or two or three thrown in.

Since the marathon in Cork, there has been a decline in fitness and race performance for me. I've also had trouble with my right calf which I think is 99% okay again.

I pulled out of Berlin a good while back and since then I've had no actual training plan, goal race or specific targets. I thought initially that just running when I liked and for long with no goal in mind would be great, but I now think that I need some direction and some focus. Also I think updating the log regularly might keep me honest! I'm just going to keep on working to get back to where I was pre-Cork.

Saturday Sept 21
    Race Series half marathon 1:40:30. I decided to see how I was feeling on the day how to run/race this one. I settled into a 7:30 pace and to be honest was quite happy to run this all the way around. Lost some momentum on the hills at the end, had a poor mile at 11 and 13, but enjoyed the race and was happy-ish with my time.

Sunday Sept 22
    Recovery run of 6 miles. Left the garmin at home, enjoyed every step of this one.

Monday Sept 23
    Met my Monday running buddy for this one, just an 3.5 mile out and back route for me. It was so humid, we both thought we were running a lot faster than we actually were - hate that. Think I burned off a few thousand calories though. 7m total, pace 8:15

Tuesday Sept 24
    800s down at the club. Absolutely massive turn-out in Cherryfield, thought we would need traffic lights with all the dodging and weaving with the various adult groups and children's groups and the football matches. It all added to the fun!
    I was actually very enthusiastic for this session and was just itching to start each rep. 800s x6 3:23, 3:21. 3:17, 3:17, 3:15, 3:15 - nice to see they were getting faster.
    With w/u and c/d 6 miles covered for the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Yay you're back :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice to see you back posting! Great time in the Dublin half :)

If I hadn't seen you on 'The Facebook' :D I would have been worried about you.... It seems like monthly posting is the fashion nowadays ;)

Ah there you are. Did you think it was safe to re-appear once Sam was decided? :D

p.s. Did you come across my log in the archives when you were looking for yours? :rolleyes:

Ah there you are. Did you think it was safe to re-appear once Sam was decided? :D

p.s. Did you come across my log in the archives when you were looking for yours? :rolleyes:

Probably took her as long to find your log as it took you to run Athlone ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Probably took her as long to find your log as it took you to run Athlone ;)

Still took you a good while to pass me out all the same ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hey jcsmum, great to see you back. :D
    Great time for the half last weekend.

She wasn't very chatting on Saturday when i met her along the half route.:eek: A couple of runners laughed when I was given a broad hint to cut the questions:pac:.

Funny i get that reaction alot but can't think why.;)

I really do hate it when people with logs just don't update them. Either cancel them or update them.

I know, 'kettle, black. pot':D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Had literally just been thinking about mailing you and Shaz over the last few days and then the two of you pop up out of nowhere today. :D

Good to see you're still ticking away. Will you be doing XC?

chinguetti wrote: »
    She wasn't very chatting on Saturday when i met her along the half route.:eek: A couple of runners laughed when I was given a broad hint to cut the questions:pac:.

Funny i get that reaction alot but can't think why.;)

I really do hate it when people with logs just don't update them. Either cancel them or update them.

I know, 'kettle, black. pot':D

Will you be throwing up a race report from Sat? I seem to remember you had use of this log before. :)

• Advertisement

Will you be throwing up a race report from Sat? I seem to remember you had use of this log before. :)

Begod I might. However it would include the meeting of 3 wolfhounds around mile 3 and there's a cat sitting behind me on his tower watching the news so i'll have to hold off for now.:D

Advertisement