Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

jcsmum wrote: »
    I've had no actual training plan, goal race or specific targets. I thought initially that just running when I liked and for long with no goal in mind would be great, but I now think that I need some direction and some focus.

...me too. Found that not running for DCM this year has left me a lot less fitter than last year. Tipping around is OK but I know that if you are training for some goal then it focuses you to push harder.

Nice to be reading your posts again:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

geld wrote: »
    Nice to be reading your posts again:)

Woah...let's not go mad now! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Ah there you are. Did you think it was safe to re-appear once Sam was decided? :D

Ah, this is what I miss about Boards :rolleyes:

Had literally just been thinking about mailing you and Shaz over the last few days and then the two of you pop up out of nowhere today. :D

Good to see you're still ticking away. Will you be doing XC?
    Woah...let's not go mad now! :P

Nothing has changed with you missus, compliments and insults all rolled into one! :rolleyes::D
    And to answer your question, yes I plan on doing some xc. Apparently last year didn't didn't scar me enough! :p

Wednesday Sept 25
    Met up with 2 club mates for a very enjoyable recovery run. 7 miles covered.

Thursday Sept 26
    Won't be at the club this evening, so headed out this morning instead. 4.5 creaky, heavy-legged miles. I'm putting it down to tiredness.
    Rest day tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nothing has changed with you missus, compliments and insults all rolled into one! :rolleyes::D
    Sure ye wouldn't have me any other way :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I think it was you I heard today give me a shout out at the start :D

Saturday Sept 28
    Being a bit directionless, I had no plan going into the weekend - would I do hills, a parkrun or a LSR. Given the fact that I want to target some races in the next few months and one of them being a half, I was advised to concentrate on my long runs.
    So off I headed on Saturday morning, the plan was to do 15, 10 at 8:30 pace and then to up it for the last 5 or so. Don't know what came over me, but after the first few miles, I settled into a nice rhythm and I was just bounding along. A few glances at the garmin told me I was running ahead of schedule but I just couldn't help myself, everything was feeling really good. Can't say that I wasn't tiring on the last 3-4 miles but the garmin tells me that I upped the pace on these miles.
    15 miles 7:59 pace.

Sunday Sept 29
    I headed down to watch 80 or so clubmates down at the Rathfarnham 5k - Go Bros Pearse! Some super running and lots of PBs - was happy I wasn't running when I saw people warming up before the race but so jealous watching people sprinting for the line. Being a spectator isn't all its cracked up to be. I know I'm not 5k ready yet....patience is a virtue!
    Headed home and then off out to do a recovery run. 6m at 8:29 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That's a great run, 15 miles at what was recently marathon pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Welcome back K:) We missed you.

Monday Sept 30
    7.4 miles @ 8.38 pace. Joined my Monday running buddy for this one, a loop over to Tallaght and back. Can't remember the finer details but as usual enjoyed the company.

Tuesday Oct 1
    The Winter training sessions with the club started with a bang, off to the exotically named Stocking lane for some hill reps. Roughly 2 miles over the meeting spot and then on up to the bottom of hill #1. No idea of the length of hill #1, but it took me 2:41 to climb it. On the menu for the night was 5 reps (for my group) of hill #2 (1 more than last year). 500m ish climb, 500m downhill recovery.
    Splits were 2:08, 2:14, 2:17, 2:14, 2:15
    To say that these were tough was an understatement, I'm hoping that with time these sessions with get less difficult or more tolerable....or both.

Wednesday Oct 2
    Joined another clubmate for a well needed recovery run. 6 miles covered.
    Legs were delighted for this one.

Thursday Oct 3
    2 choices at the club tonight, fartlek session or an 'easy' 10k run. I opted for the 10k as I have racing plans at the weekend. Joined a group of 8 and we did a loop over to Tallaght village and back, nice pace of 8:30.

Friday Oct 4
    Rest day

Saturday Oct 5
    Punchestown 10k 44:33. I haven't done a 10k since Dunshaughlin 2012 and have a soft PB there of 44:4x. Time to put that right and on a whim, I found this race and signed up for it.
    Like half the country, I have been suffering with a cold and sore throat but the stubbornness in me saw me heading towards Naas on Saturday morning!
    It was a fun run/fundraiser 5k and 10k race, which meant that the field was small, support was pretty non-existent and organisation was pretty relaxed. The course itself was tough, very hilly & involved running over grass, stones, paths, road & through carparks.
    Started off pretty okay but dipped half way, had a bad km between 4 & 5 7:28 :eek:. Gave myself a stern talking to and the pace crept up again. Again, struggled on the last mile where there was a lovely incline :rolleyes:, then flat to the finish.
    In hindsight, it was not the greatest choice, but a small PB on tough course saw me happy enough on the way home. Lots of room for improvement though.
    With w/u and c/d, 9 miles covered for the day

Sunday Oct 6
    LSR 10 miles, pace 8:17. Had to be home for 10am, so I headed off at 8:30 over to Marlay, a loop around there and home. The legs were pretty okay for most of this, but I started to feel tired on the last mile!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done on the PB.

Monday Oct 7th
    Met up with my Monday running buddy and off we set on a tour of Knocklyon and Templeogue. The miles just fly by in company and the pace was pretty steady throughout. We were facing a strong wind on the last mile, mile and a half and I'm always telling myself that it will stand to me in training and in races. Definitely earned my cuppa/biscuits when I got home
    6.3 miles 8:28 pace

Tuesday Oct 8th
    2 mile warm up over to Stocking lane. Coach keeps coming up with various hill training sessions for here, like any of them could dull the pain! :rolleyes:
    It was an up, down, turnaround, up, down route from roundabout to roundabout, with 200m recoveries. The key for this one is all about pacing it right as the last hill is a hiller. Ending up running with 2 others and I have to say I found it all pretty okay, even managed the last hill without falling into the ditch.
    Now that I have the splits on the garmin, it will be interesting to see if I can knock any time how much time I will knock off these throughout the Winter (positive thinking :))
    Over 7 miles covered for the evening.

Thursday Oct 10th
    Club training session. 400s x12
    Was really looking forward to these, I'm not a fan of running on grass which we have been doing all Summer & feel I'm that bit better doing these reps on paths. Ran them all with one of the faster club guys (he was running slower than he could but it was nice to think that I was keeping pace with him).
    The splits averaged 1:36 going one way and 1:39 the opposite way. Felt really good, did tire on the last two but held it together and kept the pace going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Howdy! Great to see you running away and back logging. Cheers for the shout out in the Rathfarnham 5K - I was very happy with my sub-33... it gives me something to work off now :D:D

Any races in your immediate future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

gave you a beep on sat morning along Taylors lane, you were moving too well to notice.

gave you a beep on sat morning along Taylors lane, you were moving too well to notice.

I heard something alright, but unless you do the PV wave/beep/roar while hanging your head out of the car window, then it's just not up to standard! ;):D

Saturday Oct 12
    12 mile LSR pace 8:02. Not much I can say about this one, just stayed local. I had some notion of incorporating the Marlay parkrun in the middle of this a la MS, but due to an unexpected lie-in, I didn't start running until 10am.
    Pace pretty consistent throughout - no highs or lows to report.

Sunday Oct 13
    Early morning run with one of the guys from the club over to Terenure and back to Knocklyon. 8 recovery was on my schedule, he was to do 14. The pace crept up a few times and I'm trying to be a bit more disciplined on recovery runs, so I did check the watch pretty regularly. Pace for the 8 was 8:23.

Monday Oct 14
    Met up with my usual Monday clubmate and did our loop over towards Tymon and around by Templeogue college and back to Knocklyon. The last few Mondays we have felt we have been running at a decent clip and each time I look at the garmin, we're surprised at how much slower we actually are. It feels like we are working a lot harder than we actually are. It must be an uphill route all the way :rolleyes:
    6.22 miles for me, 8:31 pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I heard something alright, but unless you do the PV wave/beep/roar while hanging your head out of the car window, then it's just not up to standard! ;):D

He's so subtle that I reckon tbb would make a great stalker....and I know a thing or two about that ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    He's so subtle that I reckon tbb would make a great stalker....and I know a thing or two about that ;)

Seeing as you have left the locality, there's an opening there for him :)

Tuesday Oct 15th
    Hill session Stocking lane. Coach likes to mix it up :rolleyes:, so instead of doing 6 hill reps (450m), we did 4 long reps and 4 short ones (half way up the hill) alternating between each one. I think most people found this one a lot more doable and dare I say it 'enjoyable'. The hill is still a killer, but having a bit more recovery was nice. Kept in with my group of 6, worked hard & felt really positive afterwards.
    With w/u and c/d I'll guess 7-8 miles covered. I did time each rep, but the garmin froze and I had to reset it, losing all the data in the process.

Wednesday Oct 16th
    I know this should have been a recovery run, but with Thursday's club session cancelled due to our mega fundraising quiz I decided to go a bit crazy and do a semi tempo run. The splits are estimates, can only remember them from checking the watch after each mile but it was something like 8:30, 7:15, 7:15, 8 and 8.
    On my 2 fast miles I did have the wind behind me which was nice, but this felt really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Tuesday Oct 15th

Wednesday Oct 16th
    I know this should have been a recovery run, but with Thursday's club session cancelled due to our mega fundraising quiz I decided to go a bit crazy and do a semi tempo run. The splits are estimates, can only remember them from checking the watch after each mile but it was something like 8:30, 7:15, 7:15, 8 and 8.
    On my 2 fast miles I did have the wind behind me which was nice, but this felt really good.

Think you should have gone for a run instead of the quiz...seriously let down by your shabby team who didn't appear to have any lights on ;)

• Advertisement

Think you should have gone for a run instead of the quiz...seriously let down by your shabby team who didn't appear to have any lights on ;)

Well that's the last time you get invited to the south side :rolleyes:.

Saturday October 19
    The club are organising an internal weekend run from Knocklyon up to the masts at the Three Rock next month, so when a trial 'run' of some of the route was suggested for Saturday, I was super enthusiastic (bear in mind I had never run this route before! ;)). Coach, WBY (aka my sidekick) and I started at the back car park of Marlay and headed up to Kilmashogue. This included about 1k of a steep climb and I'm thinking to myself 'what have I let myself in for, what if I can't keep up or even keep going?' Nearly made it all the way to the car park at Kilmashogue but not quite, had to catch my breath before I came to the top.
    The next part was fine, a semi flat trail maybe a mile long. Then the fun started, tough climb #2. I had to stop, start, shuffle my way up, WBY ran most of the way while coach ran all the way while probably singing :rolleyes:. Thing is, even though I walked the most, I wasn't that far behind time wise - it goes to show to steep it actually is when running isn't that much faster than walking!
    On to another nice trail which brought us on to the main road just below the masts, a nice tough-ish climb up to the masts and a half a mile beyond where we turned back for the gorgeous downhill.
    8.5miles in 1:17. Loved it!

Sunday Oct 20
    Joined WBY for a LSR on Sunday morning - both of us a bit creaky from the mountain run, also him after a late night of partying and me after a nice meal out, complete with giant chocolate fudge brownie dessert. After a few miles, I was pretty comfortable and started trying to map out some sort of 12 mile route for myself. Headed past Marlay, down to Dundrum, up to Churchtown, over to Terenure and on to home.
    12 miles in the bag, pace 8:14. Not too shabby in spite of the giant brownie. :)

Monday Oct 21
    Had resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't get running yesterday due to a ladies M&T meeting over at Donore, but the meeting was wrapped up pretty sharpish so rushed home, changed and was out the door just after 9pm. This run was going to be recovery and as the heavens opened half way around I found myself enjoying it more and more. There is just something about running through puddles.......:D
    5 miles at 8:30 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Well that's the last time you get invited to the south side :rolleyes:.

Oh that's just lovely that is, here am I bravely admitting to being a dumbass on Thur night and letting your team down and all I get is a ban from the Southside. No sympathy, no nothing except a ban :o...nice :pac:

Does that mean the ban starts on Monday and I get a lie in rather than southside marshalling duties :D:D

Nice going on the trail run btw, IMRA watch out!

Tuesday October 22
    Off on our weekly torture session to Stocking lane. On tonight's menu we were doing half hill reps, supposed to be 250m long, but somebody's measuring skills were below par so they were actually 240m :rolleyes: (maybe that's just as well!)
    I thought these would be easier than a set of long hill reps. How wrong was I. I have never felt so bad, in other words 'good' after a session. Managed 9 and kept even pace throughout (about a minute each one). 9 minutes of absolute torture.

Wednesday Oct 23
    Took a night off from coaching duties at Little Athletics so as the little lady was at 'training', JC and I decided to go for a run/cycle. I picked a 2+mile loop near the house, one with few roads to cross for my little cyclist. I really enjoyed this, I kept telling him what a great cyclist he was and turns out I'm a 'great runner' ;). We did 2 and a half loops, so 5 miles total (and yes I had to tell him every few hundred meters how far we'd gone!) Pace was 8:23

Thursday Oct 24
    Ray must have been 'stalking' me as the club had a few training options and the one that suited me was.....the very same loop I had done with JC :D
    1 mile w/u and we were to do 3 miles at whatever pace you wanted.
    The group was low in numbers due to our tapering marathoners, but we have a new boardsie member (welcome Ger!) and we were joined by our Indoor 400 national champion Shauna Cannon! :cool:
    2.91m in 20:59, pace 7:12. With w/u & c/d 5 miles covered

and we were joined by our Indoor 400 national champion Shauna Cannon! :cool:

I heard she has explosive power.... I'll get my coat :o

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I heard she has explosive power.... I'll get my coat :o

I was going to say 'boom boom'.............. ;)

Saturday Oct 26
    Mountain run take 2 - a slightly different take on the run this week, Knocklyon to Ticknock and home. Thought I would be better this week, but it was not to be, or at least that's the way it felt. Looking at the garmin splits, it wasn't too bad, but I still want to run more and walk less. Practice will make perfect I guess! My two co-runners ran it all, so I am in good company for getting better. A really enjoyable run. 13miles, average pace 8:59

Sunday Oct 27
    An evening solo run locally was the order of the day. It was dark and windy and I was feeling so bad for all those signed up for DCM having to run the following day. Luckily I was doing recovery pace and it was something of a challenge. It wasn't a challenge for TBB as he bounded towards me in a hurry! Really enjoyed this one again.
    8 miles @ 8:52 pace.

Monday Oct 28
    Was marshalling on Nassau Street for DCM. What an amazing experience, it was so emotional at times, especially seeing all my club mates heading for the finish line. My feet were itching to run. So many amazing performances from club people, friends and boardsies! I've never been shot so many dagger looks though. I was only trying to be encouraging :o:) Then again I know what it's like in the last mile or so of a marathon and having to focus really hard on putting one foot in front of the other - I won't take it personally!

Tuesday Oct 29
    Stocking lane club session - the roundabout session. Set off in a group of about 7 or 8. The key again for this one is to pace it properly so that you don't collapse on the last big hill. We sprint from roundabout to roundabout (uphills and downhills), varying distances from 300-500 meters with a 100 meter recovery. Probably 30 minutes total. Despite a decent performance, I felt I was a bit 'absent' during the session, didn't feel I was as engaged as I should/could have been. With w/u and c/d 7 miles covered.

Wednesday Oct 30
    Met up with my running bud for this one. I had two miles done by the time I met him and we headed over towards Marlay turning around after the church in Ballinteer. At this stage I had 5.5 miles down and I was feeling tired. Luckily it was mostly downhill to home and despite the wind in our faces, I kept the pace going. A few times I felt like asking him to slow the pace down a bit, but pride is a terrible thing! :rolleyes: Happy I didn't because I really didn't need to. My last mile, solo one home was my fastest!
    9 miles 8:27 pace.

I've never been shot so many dagger looks though. I was only trying to be encouraging :o:) Then again I know what it's like in the last mile or so of a marathon and having to focus really hard on putting one foot in front of the other - I won't take it personally!

At least you got a high 5 from The Officer.... That should have made your day! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Wednesday Oct 30
    Met up with my running bud for this one. I had two miles done by the time I met him and we headed over towards Marlay turning around after the church in Ballinteer. At this stage I had 5.5 miles down and I was feeling tired. Luckily it was mostly downhill to home and despite the wind in our faces, I kept the pace going. A few times I felt like asking him to slow the pace down a bit, but pride is a terrible thing! :rolleyes: Happy I didn't because I really didn't need to. My last mile, solo one home was my fastest!
    9 miles 8:27 pace.

Jeez I was only looking for an excuse to slow down a bit- for sure we are running the opposite side of the road the next time we do that route- it's so much easier. See ya l8r!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I can't believe I missed you on Nassau Street! I bet you were a super dooper marshal:)
    What's next for you? Lots of good work going on, any plans to put it to use?

Advertisement