Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Marthastew wrote: »
    I can't believe I missed you on Nassau Street! I bet you were a super dooper marshal:)
    What's next for you? Lots of good work going on, any plans to put it to use?

Well I missed EVERYONE on the day MS. I think that ARMY you had running around you was a bit of an obstruction. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »
    At least you got a high 5 from The Officer.... That should have made your day! ;):D

Yeah, you'd think! ;)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    I can't believe I missed you on Nassau Street! I bet you were a super dooper marshal:)
    What's next for you? Lots of good work going on, any plans to put it to use?

I am amazed that I missed you. I kept saying she must have gotten sick or injured & pulled out of pacing it - I must have been so intent on my marshalling duties, I can't think of any other explanation. :)

Friday Nov 1st
    Had to wrack my brains to see why I missed training on Thursday - Halloween - nothing trumps trick or treating or in my case manning the door and dishing out copious amounts of calories to all the local children.
    It was suggested to me that it might be a good idea to lessen the miles of some midweek runs and just focus on speed, so I did a session of 1k x5 repeats close to home on a road with a 'nice' little incline. The average pace for the reps were 4.27, 4.16, 4.18, 4.31 and 4.21. Was pretty happy with how this turned out. With w/u and c/d 5 miles done for the evening.

Saturday Nov 2nd
    Have been meaning to do the parkrun in Marlay as practice for a while, but with one thing and another I haven't got round to it in a while. Then when a few ladies from the club were running it after their week of resting post DCM and there was mention of coffee and cake, I was IN. w/u of 3 miles over to Marlay and the legs were pretty creaky so I was in no mood to 'race'. At the start line I told the club ladies I would run with them but they were taking it 'super easy' so looks like I was on my own. Decided to keep it steady and see how it went. That's pretty much what I did, plus as it was so windy in parts I was happy to keep ticking away and also had a nice little boost of overtaking 2 ladies on the last 100 meters. With a below par effort, my time was 21:53 which I was happy with. 3 miles home in horrendous conditions, but I didn't care......

Sunday Nov 3rd
    Couldn't get out until the evening for this run, so it was a solo outing. My garmin was still on kms since Friday :eek: so I decided to do a nice round 10k. This was obviously meant to be recovery but I felt very energised and after spending the whole day inside minding our new puppy, I was just happy to be out and in the fresh air.
    10k in 50:22, pace was 8:06

Monday Nov 4th
    A loop over to Tallaght for this one with my buddy. Enjoyable run as always 5.5m for me, pace 8:19

Tuesday Nov 5th
    The club decided to give Stocking lane a break and do 1k repeats instead on 'my' 1k repeats road. Was relieved to be getting a break from the hills and also interested to see how my times on the reps would compare to my times with the club.
    The times for the reps for last night are 4.19, 3.58, 4.14, 3.59 and 4.16 . Last night we did 3 reps going uphill, whereas I 'cheated' and did 3 downhills last Friday. Then again my reps were slightly longer and measured exactly 1k. With the big group of us training last night, it wasn't as easy to navigate or stop in the right place.
    Really enjoyed the session and felt very in control of how I ran. Lots of people found it tough & I managed to inch ahead of some people that I run beside or behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

jcsmum wrote: »

I am amazed that I missed you. I kept saying she must have gotten sick or injured & pulled out of pacing it - I must have been so intent on my marshalling duties, I can't think of any other explanation. :)

You must have had ear plugs in ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You must have had ear plugs in ;):)

standing too close to shaz :)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »

Eeek...... Had she been eating cabbage again? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

RayCun wrote: »

Oi cheeky :eek:. Last time I will volunteer my services to Bros Pearse :P:P
    Eeek...... Had she been eating cabbage again? ;)

Ignoring that comment like you and your mrs iwere gnoring me on Nassau St. Where was my high 5!!

Ignoring that comment like you and your mrs iwere gnoring me on Nassau St. Where was my high 5!!

I didn't see you Shaz.... Did you see me high 5'ing jcsgrasstracker?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

I didn't see you Shaz.... Did you see me high 5'ing jcsgrasstracker?

Nope I didn't - I was across the road at the time. She did say it was the highlight of her marshalling duties tho :P...that and you prob broke her hand!

Wednesday November 6
    A late run with my running companion. Due to withdrawal symptoms experienced from missing Stocking lane the previous night, we headed in that direction. It was nice just climbing that hill once for a change. I was under instructions to measure a length of road on route, but messed that up and continued pressing the wrong buttons when stopped at roundabouts - not sure what I was doing. Ran roughly 5.5 miles, 8:30 pace.

Thursday November 7
    Steady run with the club, can't call it a tempo as the pace was pretty consistent throughout. I think there were about 10 in the group. With a few miles to go I hung back with 2 people who had fallen off the pace slightly but after a mile they opted to walk/jog slowly back to the meeting point. I took this opportunity to pick it up and try and catch up with the others....which I didn't :rolleyes: but it was nice to try. With w/u and c/d, about 7 miles covered

Saturday November 9
    No Marlay parkrun or hill running for me today, it was a nice recovery paced run of 5.5 miles. Stayed local, listened to my tunes, nice relaxing run and
    pace was a lovely 8:44

Sunday November 10
    Remembrance Run in the Phoenix park. Got a lift to the race with my friend from the club as she was stewarding along with a group of other BP runners. It meant that I was in the park before 8:45 :eek: for an 11am race! I think my toes were still frozen by the time I did my 2 mile warm up down Chesterfield avenue. But I guess if there was ever a run which wasn't about frozen toes, or PBs or times - then this was it.
    It was a morning to remember those we have lost but will never forget, a time to take a moment to realise how lucky we are to be able to walk/run/jog a 5k on a glorious morning in the beautiful surrounds of the Phoenix park.
    Now, that's not to say I didn't line up at the start not thinking of aiming for a PB ;) or anything, but I just wanted to run well and finish strong. I think I did that, but I did not run fast enough. 21:07 chip time for me
    3.1m exactly, pace 6:49 (not even close!). I have got to get over myself a little bit and feel the pain a bit more - I was way too comfortable for a 5k, which is good in one way, but pointless when aiming for 1min+ off that time! I want to be collapsing across that finish line (I mean I know I can do that :rolleyes::o)
    There was a very respectful atmosphere before and after the race, a wall of remembrance to sign, a piper playing & a minutes silence before the race start, and all participants got a lovely certificate and candle at the finish line. :)

Lots of running work to be done though before the Jingle bells.... With w/u and c/d 6 miles done.

• Advertisement

Monday November 11
    A whole week of not logging and patchy garmin usage, so I'm wracking my brains to remember what I ran on Monday. I'm pretty sure we did the Tallaght loop again, so 6-7 miles I reckon, 8:30 ish pace. Like clockwork! ;)

Tuesday November 12
    Stocking lane hill session called 'the long up and over session' - so many sessions we have to name them now. It's 6 long hill reps, really dislike it but feel so great when it's done. Was having a bad 'moment' during rep 3 but gave myself a strict talking to and finished well to overtake people on the last rep (they claim they were 'injured' though, but I'm not so sure! :rolleyes:)

Wednesday November 13
    The garmin said this was an 8.9 mile run, can't for the life of me remember how we got to nearly 9 miles, think it was up to stocking lane and over towards Marlay after that and then home.

Thursday November 14
    Group run with the club. Took this run nice and handy due to a nice busy running weekend ahead. It meant I was running with club runners I don't normally train with on a Tuesday which was nice. With w/u and c/d 7 miles covered.

Friday November 15
    Rest day

Saturday November 16
    The inaugural Bros Pearse mountain run. I joined 29 other souls on a glorious Saturday morning in Marlay and off we headed to Ticknock and beyond. Stage 1, Marlay park to Kilmashogue car park, am delighted to say that attempt number 3 at this and I made it all the way without stopping. Box one ticked for the day! :) Joined by a few more runners here and off we set again after a minutes breather. First part of stage 2 is flattish trail and then BAM we hit the incline - this second part is super tough, but again delighted with my progress, only 2 stops this time, box 2 ticked.:) Stage 3 was over to the masts which is fine. Again a brief stop here for photos and fun and while the elite guys ran to Glendalough (right Ray?;)), we ran maybe another half mile or so before turning for home (aka Marlay park coffee shop and cake! box 3 ticked :D)
    We were all under instructions to run like children on the downhill so off we set, arms and legs flying! Over 3.5 miles downhill, teas, coffees, more photos and 3 birthday cakes later, we all shuffled home.
    A super day out for the club!

Sunday November 17
    Ladies Meet and Train race 1, Swords. The club ran one race in the M&T series last year and I knew we could do better than that this year. And did we ever!? After some nice arm twisting and coaxing and setting the xc ball rolling, 5 teams of us entered for yesterdays first Winter League race. :) in Swords - a 2 and a bit lap flat course. Okay, maybe some of the ladies didn't like me much before the race yesterday, but I think by the time they were tucking into the tea/biscuits post race I was well and truly forgiven.....I think.

Even though I felt under some pressure to perform well, I was on the start line nerves free (for a change) and had no real race tactic. I wanted to run strong but not go out too fast and blow up and get overtaken on the last few hundred meters, which is exactly what happened to me last year on this course. Always a fine line, especially in a short race.
    Mad dash at the start as nearly 140 of us all set off at once! I settled into a nice rhythm and kept things very steady for lap 1. My goal was top 10 finish but looking at the size of the field I thought it might be too big an ask. Plus there were a lot of Donore singlets around, hello Ro :) but no RQ :(.
    I was in the top 20 on the first lap and just tried to pick a lady off here and there every so often. By the second lap I knew I had moved up a fair few places but there were a lot of ladies of my tail and I knew I had to keep the effort going and not lose my own place. On the last 500m I was beginning to tire and often in races when I tire, this is when my head drops and I lose momentum (and seconds on the clock). For some reason I just overcame that tiredness and pushed on. Around the last bend I could see a few ladies within reach, so I just ran like a maniac, arms and legs pumping furiously overtaking a few singlets in the process. Crossed the line and was handed my place card - lucky number 7. To say I was chuffed would be an understatement. I think I've struggled in races on and off over the last 5 months or so and while I'm slowly but surely regaining my fitness I didn't think that race was in me. Delighted with the huge turn out from the club - Roll on Dunboyne Race 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

maybe not quite Glendalough... Enniskerry definitely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

You didn't mention where Ro finished? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Yep we forgive you, the quality of the coconut buns afterwards made up for having to run round a field :-)
    Brilliant result well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Delighted for you K, you must be so proud, you ran a really great race. Sounds like you had a great weekend's running.:)

Monday November 18
    Did our loop from Knocklyon to Templogue and home again. Legs felt fine after the weekend. 6.5 miles at 8:28 pace.

Tuesday November 19
    Stocking lane long/short up and overs - this session is probably less awful than either all long reps or all short reps. We alternate between a long rep of 450m and a short rep of 240m, downhill recovery.
    Ran the 2 miles or so over to the meeting point at the bottom of the hill and I was yawning up a storm - not a good way to be before a hill session. :rolleyes: Maybe the cold wind up there snapped me back into action, but once I got going this session felt pretty good. On the last long rep, the legs started to feel like jelly towards the top and I was so thankful that I had only one short rep to do.
    The long reps 450m (2:06, 2:05, 2:07 & 2:03) and the short ones 240m (1:01, 1:00, 59, 59). 2 mile c/d home.

Wednesday November 20
    Wasn't going to bother running last night, but after an evening of unruly children and a hyper dog, I quickly changed my mind and headed out for some air and space after they had all gone to bed. Headphones on & garminless so it was purely a run to stretch the legs. Did my 4.5 mile loop but on the last mile did 6x 100 meter strides which felt pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

You seem to be flying along these days. Lovely stuff :D Jingle bells?

You seem to be flying along these days. Lovely stuff :D Jingle bells?

+1:D

Saturday November 23
    Clontarf half marathon. Thanks to Chinquetti who was due to pace this, but unfortunately had to pull out due to injury, I got a free entry. My PB is 1:37 in the Rock and Roll half which I absolutely hated. The free entry always makes me think that I don't really have to try either, so less pressure. :rolleyes: Thing is, PBs are always on my mind!
    Travelled over to Clontarf with 4 others from the club and to say we were all jovial would be an understatement. Got out of the car at the last possible minute, no warm-up, apart from lazy jogging on the spot to get rid of the cold. Before I knew it, the 1:30 & 1:40 balloons were making their way to the start so I plonked myself in the middle and off we set. My confidence was good and training has been going well, so I figured that this could be my day - a sub 1:35 was in my head but I figured I would see how I was going and just go with that.

Having done this route twice before I decided to break the race up into stages in my head. Along the sea front and down to the beach I settled into a nice rhythm 7:10, 7:09 but I knew that once I hit the sand that pace would be difficult to maintain. The stretch on the beach can be a tough one so I decided to focus on something or someone to get me through it. I happened to be running on one side of two guys who were going for sub 1:35 and they were chatting away non-stop. When there was a lull in conversation, the guy on the other side of them piped up asking them to keep talking as they were keeping him going. 'Me too' I added. I was still stalking them as we left the beach and headed for the main road. I tucked in behind them as there was a nice breeze in our faces at this point. They turned around and started laughing when they saw me (in a nice way!). Miles 3-5, are 7:17, 7:28, 7:25. Once we got to the traffic lights and turned right for the half way cones, I started to tire a bit and willed the half way stage to hurry up and come into view. Watching the leaders and all those ahead of me on their return leg definitely took my mind off things and I perked up again. Saw/heard Mrs Stew hanging out with the 1:30 pacers and heading for home and her podium finish!! Crossed the 10k mat in 45:07 :) and before I knew it the cones were right there and I half way and feeling AOK.
    The stretch back to the traffic lights wasn't half as long ;) and I just concentrated on picking out club mates to wave and shout out to. Any shout out I got (thanks Belcarra) was great. I was feeling really comfortable and even though I had stopped looking at the garmin, I felt that the sub 1:35 was probably not a possibility at this stage. Miles 6-8 were 7:13, 7:12, 7:18. At the rock and roll half I remember everything annoyed me especially the music at every mile :rolleyes:, but on Saturday everything was positive. On the beach once more and with a slight wind against me, I decided to concentrate on picking off some ladies and move up the results a bit (how very CL and RQ of me!). I overtook 3 ladies on the beach, the third at the orange netting at the very end. I know I slowed down on the soft sand coming up from the beach and very nearly twisted my ankle on a small rock too. Luckily no damage done, and I was on solid ground again with another lady in grey in sight. Miles 9-11 7:19, 7:32, 7:43 :eek:
    Over 2 miles to go, comfort levels were high and a lady in green/white was in the distance, maybe as much as 400 meters ahead. I could see that I was making ground on her and as I came on to her shoulder I could see her trying to hold me off. No sooner had I passed her, I saw another lady in purple in the distance. It sounds awful, but anything to keep me going right? Overtook her on the last half km and then I was just motoring along. My club mate who was out supporting had told me that she was going to be at the finish with phone in hand for my finish line photo and I reckoned for once I was going to be all happy approaching the line. There she was in the distance and no phone....was gutted :(. I might never be MarthaStew-like again in a race! Crossed the line, chip time 1:36:29. 14/15 female I think. My last 2.14 miles were 7:31, 7:16 and 6:46.
    Enjoyed the post race atmosphere and the soup! while cheering on my club mates home - so many PBs!

On reflection, I enjoyed this race no end. I was really comfortable and despite not 'going' for 1:34:59 I feel that it is a certainty now. This race has really upped my confidence so fingers crossed it keeps on growing.

Sunday 24th November
    30 minutes recovery run and not a minute more! (as ordered by the powers that be!)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Wow great race, you nearly made that sound easy!! Well done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done K. Super time and sounds like you really enjoyed it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

That sand & breeze really sapped the pace on the beach so well done on catching three ladies along that stretch!
    The winning time was about 2 mins slower than July I think so bear that in mind too!

belcarra wrote: »
    That sand & breeze really sapped the pace on the beach so well done on catching three ladies along that stretch!
    The winning time was about 2 mins slower than July I think so bear that in mind too!

I will bear that in mind! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done K. great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'm glad that my wonky knee didn't stop you from getting a pb and well done.

Fantastic run K:D And well done for chasing down the competition and channelling your inner CL and RQ.
    Are you doing Jingle Bells? We will definitely have to meet up before/after/maybe even en route? I'm delighted your training is going so well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great running K. Casually banging out the pbs. The magic sub 90 will be on the target list soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done in Clontarf, you're flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Super time in Clontarf jcsmum! Congrats on a fantastic time :)

• Advertisement

Great running K. Casually banging out the pbs. The magic sub 90 will be on the target list soon enough.

:eek:
    Let me get under 1:35 first! :rolleyes::D

Advertisement