Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Monday November 25th
    We did our Tallaght loop. Legs were tired after Saturday but managed 8:33 average pace. Happy with that.

Tuesday November 26th
    Club session 800s x6. Didn't have far to travel to the meeting point for this one, so over half a mile w/u. The quads have been a bit achy since the half so I didn't know how this would go. All the reps start on an incline and finish on a slight downhill, reps 1, 3 and 5 being the more difficult. The first two reps were okay but then my legs felt really heavy and I just about managed to hang on to my group.
    Splits: 3.06, 3.04, 3.10, 3.06, 3.15, 3.07
    Happy enough overall.

Wednesday November 27th
    As my running buddy welcomed baby #3 to the fold on Tuesday night :), I had to run solo for this :(. I get kind of bored just plodding along, so decided to do a tempo run - probably not ideal as the legs were still 'recovering'. Somehow after the fist mile, the pace picked up and so I decided to challenge myself a bit and keep momentum going for 3 miles, with 2 mile c/d to finish. I was wrecked after this and it felt like the last two miles were endless! Happy enough with the splits 8.11, 7.37, 7.15, 7.19, 8.04, 8.05

Thursday November 28th
    Didn't make it to the club, so had to run later in the evening. Not sure I'm liking all this solo running. Took this once nice and handy, 6 miles average pace of 8:19. Still tired, couldn't even bring myself to do or think about any strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

jcsmum wrote: »
    Monday November 25th
    We did our Tallaght loop. Legs were tired after Saturday but managed 8:33 average pace. Happy with that.

Tuesday November 26th
    Club session 800s x6. Didn't have far to travel to the meeting point for this one, so over half a mile w/u. The quads have been a bit achy since the half so I didn't know how this would go. All the reps start on an incline and finish on a slight downhill, reps 1, 3 and 5 being the more difficult. The first two reps were okay but then my legs felt really heavy and I just about managed to hang on to my group.
    Splits: 3.06, 3.04, 3.10, 3.06, 3.15, 3.07
    Happy enough overall.

Wednesday November 27th
    As my running buddy welcomed baby #3 to the fold on Tuesday night :), I had to run solo for this :(. I get kind of bored just plodding along, so decided to do a tempo run - probably not ideal as the legs were still 'recovering'. Somehow after the fist mile, the pace picked up and so I decided to challenge myself a bit and keep momentum going for 3 miles, with 2 mile c/d to finish. I was wrecked after this and it felt like the last two miles were endless! Happy enough with the splits 8.11, 7.37, 7.15, 7.19, 8.04, 8.05

Thursday November 28th
    Didn't make it to the club, so had to run later in the evening. Not sure I'm liking all this solo running. Took this once nice and handy, 6 miles average pace of 8:19. Still tired, couldn't even bring myself to do or think about any strides.

FFS take a rest/real recovery day!!

belcarra wrote: »

I'm sorry :o, I'll go stand in the corner now. Today is rest day I'm happy to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have a better suggestion: Ibuprofen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »

Medical advice tut tut ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

menoscemo wrote: »

Your new years resolution is giving up that crap :mad:

(I'm doing you a favour here :D)

ecoli wrote: »
    Your new years resolution is giving up that crap :mad:

(I'm doing you a favour here :D)

Last week he took two of them for indigestion in the boozer and then tried to peddle them to myself and CL as the panacea!

;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Last week he took two of them for indigestion in the boozer and then tried to peddle them to myself and CL as the panacea!

;):D

So many things wrong in that sentence I dunno where to begin :rolleyes::D

Reckon he has shares in some pharmaceutical company that he is keeping on the DL

Moving swiftly on from drug deals........ :rolleyes:

Friday 27th November
    Rest day (bliss)

Saturday 30th November
    LSR, sorta. 8 miles 8:45 pace. Nothing to report.

Sunday 1st December
    Ladies Meet & Train Race #2, Dunboyne
    I don't think I've ever been as nervous before a race, I think it was the pressure to finish as well as race #1, plus as co-organiser/arm twister I feel I need to perform well for the team and the club. We were so early for the race, so we had plenty of time to walk the 15 mins from registration to the field and do a warm up lap. Swords it wasn't - it was a soggy muddy uneven twisty course consisting of 1 outer lap and 2 inner laps & a few sneaky inclines.
    Lined up at the start, whistle, off..... After the usual frantic few hundred meters, settled into a rhythm and found my place. 7 ladies ahead. From then until the finish line I wasn't overtaken by anyone and I only managed to overtake 1 person. In front of me, overtaking was minimal and I guess we were all just trying to stay on our feet and keep our places. Happy out with 7th place, I ran as hard as I could and I just wasn't able to catch the girl in front, so I really can't complain. Lots of great placings by the BP ladies - for some of them it was their first xc race, and what a tough one to start on. Two of our A team ladies fell, but we still managed to score well and after 2 races, we are top of the leader board. We are well aware that some of our rivals :) were running in Tymon park on Sunday, so we know we have to run extra hard in the remaining two races.
    Great organisation by Dunboyne and although I missed out on some yummy looking iced cupcakes I hold no grudges. (where is RQ when you need some cake?)

Monday 2nd December
    Running solo again so I decided to do a tempo run of sorts. I knew it would be nowhere near the sort of speed I should/could be doing but it sounded better than just running along at an even pace.
    Splits are 8:41, 7:46, 7:24, 7:34, 8:59. That is all I had in me.

Tuesday 3rd December
    The plan was the short hill reps 250m x10 on Stocking lane. There was a last minute mention of doing 800s on a local green so I opted to do that, it seemed like the lesser of two evils. Pity nobody else got the memo - it was just me, our elite lady and one of the elite guys heading to the green. Lucky for me we met another of the club members on the way over, a guy who is in my group but faster on the intervals. Our mission was not to let them lap us! 2 warm up laps of the green and then down to business. I haven't done these reps in a while on this green and there are still as tough and awful as I remember. Splits for the 5 reps are 3:07, 3:16, 3:20, 3:17, 3:17. I do have to admit that they are slightly sort at 760m but they are hilly and it was windy so I think we more than made up for the loss in distance!
    Tough session but really satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Sunday 1st December
    Ladies Meet & Train Race #2, Dunboyne
    I don't think I've ever been as nervous before a race, I think it was the pressure to finish as well as race #1, plus as co-organiser/arm twister I feel I need to perform well for the team and the club. We were so early for the race, so we had plenty of time to walk the 15 mins from registration to the field and do a warm up lap. Swords it wasn't - it was a soggy muddy uneven twisty course consisting of 1 outer lap and 2 inner laps & a few sneaky inclines.
    Lined up at the start, whistle, off..... After the usual frantic few hundred meters, settled into a rhythm and found my place. 7 ladies ahead. From then until the finish line I wasn't overtaken by anyone and I only managed to overtake 1 person. In front of me, overtaking was minimal and I guess we were all just trying to stay on our feet and keep our places. Happy out with 7th place, I ran as hard as I could and I just wasn't able to catch the girl in front, so I really can't complain. Lots of great placings by the BP ladies - for some of them it was their first xc race, and what a tough one to start on. Two of our A team ladies fell, but we still managed to score well and after 2 races, we are top of the leader board. We are well aware that some of our rivals :) were running in Tymon park on Sunday, so we know we have to run extra hard in the remaining two races.
    Great organisation by Dunboyne and although I missed out on some yummy looking iced cupcakes I hold no grudges. (where is RQ when you need some cake?)

Monday 2nd December
    Running solo again so I decided to do a tempo run of sorts. I knew it would be nowhere near the sort of speed I should/could be doing but it sounded better than just running along at an even pace.
    Splits are 8:41, 7:46, 7:24, 7:34, 8:59. That is all I had in me.

Tuesday 3rd December
    The plan was the short hill reps 250m x10 on Stocking lane. There was a last minute mention of doing 800s on a local green so I opted to do that, it seemed like the lesser of two evils. Pity nobody else got the memo - it was just me, our elite lady and one of the elite guys heading to the green. Lucky for me we met another of the club members on the way over, a guy who is in my group but faster on the intervals. Our mission was not to let them lap us! 2 warm up laps of the green and then down to business. I haven't done these reps in a while on this green and there are still as tough and awful as I remember. Splits for the 5 reps are 3:07, 3:16, 3:20, 3:17, 3:17. I do have to admit that they are slightly sort at 760m but they are hilly and it was windy so I think we more than made up for the loss in distance!
    Tough session but really satisfying.

Belcarra should be along shortly :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Belcarra should be along shortly :rolleyes:

:pac:

:pac:

There's no telling ya!

There's no telling ya!

from the man who does marathons back to back :rolleyes:

from the man who does marathons back to back :rolleyes:

Do as I say, not as I do!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I just read Ray's newsletter:) I'm thrilled for you K, a very well deserved award. I can't believe you didn't tell junior and I on Saturday morning that we were in the company of greatness:) Well done, I'm sure your family are very proud

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Marthastew wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I just read Ray's newsletter:) I'm thrilled for you K, a very well deserved award. I can't believe you didn't tell junior and I on Saturday morning that we were in the company of greatness:) Well done, I'm sure your family are very proud

Explain please Marthastew, or Jcsmum!

Mulberry wrote: »
    Explain please Marthastew, or Jcsmum!

The Nobel Peace Prize ;)

Just running and training away.....

Great weekend for the club, adults Christmas party on Friday, kids party on Sunday and we crammed in a trip to Athlone on Sunday morning to use the indoor track down there - was wrecked on Monday after it all. The trip to Athlone was brilliant and although I was aching in a lot of places the following day, it was all worth it. Attempted long jumps and high jumps and turns out I am rubbish at the high jump. I think it was the pressure of being in the queue behind a 10 year old who cleared the bar every time! :o

Ill-prepared for Jingle Bells on Saturday, so expectations weren't great and I got the time I probably deserved. Happy to see others getting some super PBs though and our superstar Michelle was first lady home :):cool:. Found myself just running along pretty aimlessly during the race, breathing was fine, but the legs were heavy. Was more looking forward to the girlie lunch afterwards. :)

Monday - 7 easy miles with R
    Tuesday - roundabout session with the club. Felt pretty strong for this and while on the last hill I just wanted to die a little bit, kept on going and finished well. Killer session, but you do feel a little bit amazing when it's done.
    Wednesday - 5 mile solo run, no garmin. According to some 'experts' my running form needs some work, gotta work those elbows more and lift my knees. I used this run to put this into practice, I'm sure I looked a bit crazy but if it gets me a PB or two..... :)

Well done K on the award.... Fantastic achievement!

Thursday Dec 12th
    Couldn't get to the club training session on time, so took it as a rest day

Friday Dec 13th
    Pushed for time so decided to do a short speed session. 1k reps x5. Splits were 4:20, 4:28, 4:16, 4:30, 4:20
    It was so windy for this, and I did put in a pretty decent effort. Time has got to come down though for these.

Saturday Dec 14th
    Thought I'd be racing BHAA on Sunday, so took a rest day. Needn't have bothered. :rolleyes:

Sunday Dec 15th
    Spectated at the BHAA 5k in Marlay as I had nobody to mind the kids. Some great performances from the club. Should have 'togged off' anyway as there were plenty of people to 'dump' the kids/dog on when I got there. I always want to run when I see people racing. My lack of participation didn't stop US enjoying the refreshments afterwards though. :)
    Headed out for some miles in the afternoon in the rain and wind! Over to Marlay, two loops there and then home. The plan was 6 miles at 8:15-8:30 and then 4 faster HMP miles home. Started off at a pretty decent pace so decided to stick with that and see if I could hold on. It was a better idea also as the last 3 miles home were into a headwind and HMP was just not on the cards at that stage.
    10 @7:54 pace. Enjoyed this a lot.

Monday Dec 16th
    I've decided not to bother with the garmin watching when running with R - we pick one of our routes and the pace is always steady and while we do work hard, conversation is always flowing. We did the Tallaght loop which was 6.5 miles or so.

Tuesday Dec 17th
    Stocking lane hill sessions 6 Long hills. Run over to meeting point (less than 2 miles). One long hill up to where we start the reps (900m), then 5 reps of 450m, downhill recovery. Attendance wasn't at its normal high standard last night, so ended up running with one other person a guy who would be slightly faster than me. Kept with him on every hill and happy to say I felt very strong for the whole session. I usually hate these reps, but I actually......actually considered doing another one! :)
    Splits were 2:08, 2:09, 2:11, 2:14 and 2:09. 2 miles c/d home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

1k reps x5. Splits were 4:20, 4:28, 4:16, 4:30, 4:20
    10 @7:54 pace.

7.54/mile is about 4.55/km. If you can hold that pace for 10 miles you can go a lot faster on 1k reps. Two things you could try
    Shorter reps (as Rob suggested). 200s, 300s, 400s to get used to running at a faster pace. Don't go up to 800s or 1k reps until you've locked in the pace on the shorter distances
    Switch over to training in metric :) So you don't think, "uh-oh, I'm running in kms, it must be a 5k race, I hate 5k races aaaaarghh" and you'll get positive feedback every time you're running along and notice your pace is 4.xx/km, and realise the gap isn't that big.

Are you doing Clonliffe 5K?

RayCun wrote: »
    7.54/mile is about 4.55/km. If you can hold that pace for 10 miles you can go a lot faster on 1k reps. Two things you could try
    Shorter reps (as Rob suggested). 200s, 300s, 400s to get used to running at a faster pace. Don't go up to 800s or 1k reps until you've locked in the pace on the shorter distances
    Switch over to training in metric :) So you don't think, "uh-oh, I'm running in kms, it must be a 5k race, I hate 5k races aaaaarghh" and you'll get positive feedback every time you're running along and notice your pace is 4.xx/km, and realise the gap isn't that big.

I caaaan't do it! :eek::D

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Are you doing Clonliffe 5K?

Hadn't even heard of it. Actually what am I saying, NO more races for a while. ;)

Clonliffe is a lovely course (Goes by my apt). There can be issues with Westerly winds along the second mile but if you manage to get a bit of drafting you should be fine.
    You doing it Pete? I'm 50:50 as I may well be out Sat night (Same friend's birthday party night out that has prevented me from running this for the past 2 years!). I'll hopefully manage to cheer on at least.

Clonliffe is a lovely course (Goes by my apt). There can be issues with Westerly winds along the second mile but if you manage to get a bit of drafting you should be fine.
    You doing it Pete? I'm 50:50 as I may well be out Sat night (Same friend's birthday party night out that has prevented me from running this for the past 2 years!). I'll hopefully manage to cheer on at least.

A bit like yourself I'm not committed to it yet but may well sign up on the day if I'm not doing something the night before.

Talk about a major hint... She's a married woman dude :D;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Talk about a major hint... She's a married woman dude :D;)

I think I'm more shocked at you using the word 'dude'. ;)

With so much family stuff going on over the last few weeks, this log has fallen by the way side a little bit.

I have been training and running as per usual although I can't remember half what I did. I do recall a lot of runs into gale force winds on the Firhouse road though :rolleyes:.

Saturday Dec 28th
    A 13 mile LSR with coach and 2 other club runners from home up to Ticknock and back again. Will I ever manage to run all the way up? I absolutely love running (and walking) this route though and hopefully will make it a regular feature of my training for the coming year.

Sunday Dec 29th
    Recovery run of 5 miles

Monday Dec 30th
    Club pyramid session. Roundabout 1 to roundabout 2 500m, roundabout 2 to 3 700m. Roundabout 3 to 1, 1200m. Twice, with 1 or 2 minute recoveries. Found this tough, but managed a pretty even effort throughout and finished strong enough.
    This was a shortish session but it did the trick.

Tuesday Dec 31st
    A nice easy paced recovery run of 7 miles.

Wednesday Jan 1
    Only available to run in the morning, so wanted to do a short but tough session. PM'd a club mate late on Tuesday night and arranged to do Ray's Tymon park hill session early in the morning. Left home around 9 and was drenched by the time I left the estate. I'm at the stage now where I don't question my sanity as regards running anymore.
    2.5m w/u over to the bottom of the hill, then 14 reps. Found the reps okay, luckily on the uphills, the wind was at my back. I could barely see my way down the hill with the wind and rain. Gladly took a lift home from my running buddy. I was like an icicle by the time I got home and had to thaw out a bit before I could unlace my runners.
    Delighted with the session - a nice way to start the year.

• Advertisement

Thursday Jan 2
    Was too late for the club session so headed out on my own after 8. Can't remember a thing about this run, probably just tried to stay upright as it was more than likely windy. 6.5 miles, 8:15 pace

Friday Jan 3
    rest day

Saturday Jan 4
    Ran over to watch the BHAA races in Tymon on Saturday morning, should have raced, was foolish not to. :rolleyes: Felt semi guilty watching the runners slogging away, so did 8 hill reps and ran home. 6.5 miles for the day.

Sunday Jan 5
    15 miles LSR, pace 8:35. First 7 miles looped around Knocklyon/Ballyboden as I was meeting up with my buddy for the last 8. Was glad of the company at that stage. We ran over to Churchtown and back through Templeogue and I can't say that the last 3 miles or so weren't really tiring. Pace didn't slip though so that was good.

Advertisement