Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again

1818283848587»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Monday January 6
    Got the opportunity to run a bit earlier today so took it. I think I'm getting used to this wind running as I didn't find this one quite so bad - although I did strategically plan the least windy route I could find. 6 miles at 8:35 pace. I did miss the company even though somebody doesn't believe me. ;)

Tuesday January 7
    Club 30 minute Fartlek session. Joined what seemed like 100+ people down at the meeting point for this - lots of newbies and people who took Christmas off :eek::). We start on one side of the M50 bridge on the Firhouse road, run 80% effort up over and down with a 100m recovery, then repeat until somebody shouts stop!
    Despite the large numbers I ran this session on my own. I kept even pace throughout and tagged on a few extra reps at the end. I felt pretty in control and not too uncomfortable. I like to measure myself off people who I would normally run with but a lot of them were absent or just back after a few weeks 'holidays' (no club training). Rather than say that I was running well, I kept making excuses as to why I was in front of people who are normally running with me. :rolleyes:
    Anyway a nice sharp session for me.

Wednesday January 10
    My running buddy returned the favour ;) and so I was running solo for this one. The rain and puddle jumping made a welcome change. This was supposed to be recovery pace, but didn't bother with the garmin. Did my 5 mile loop in 8:30 ish pace I think. Really enjoyed this.

Thursday January 9
    Club interval session (long intervals) with the club. 3/4 mile w/u down to point A. Probably 25 of us took this option, mostly made up of the faster 2 groups from the club. Luckily there were a few people I could tag on to and so this made it so much more bearable.
    Point A to B: 1.24 miles. Forgot to start the garmin, but somebody said 9:10 so I'll go with that. This stretch has a nice incline and slap bang into the wind so it was tough going.
    Point B to C: 2 miles exactly 6:45, 6:49
    Point C back to A: .76 miles 7:06 pace. Felt I could have pushed on this one a bit more but when there are 2 guys in front shielding me from the wind, why bother! :)
    5.5 miles for the evening - a nice sharp session

Friday January 10
    Rest day

Saturday January 11
    13 mile LSR. My plan was to run from home up to the masts in Ticknock and home again. I was running solo this time as my buddies were saving themselves for the XC masters the following day. This run is just amazing, yeah I took some walking breaks but I didn't really care. Some 8:30 minute miles over to Marlay and then some very slow ones to Kilmashogue and up to Ticknock. On the flip side, some nice sub 8 min miles on the downhill and all the way home.
    A beautiful sunny morning, love it! :) Average pace 8:50

Sunday January 12
    1 hour of recovery running. No garmin but it was a 6.5 mile loop or so.

Monday January 13
    Everything is back to normal in the universe again since last week. R and I did one of our loops, over to Tallaght and back. 7 miles 8:54 pace. Another nice, chat filled run.

Tuesday January 14
    Club session 400s x10. Was really looking forward to this session, it's been a while since we did it. Slotted into a really nice group :) and felt pretty good throughout. Managed a very steady pace for them all.
    Splits are 140, 149 (no idea what happened there!), 139, 139, 136, 138, 137, 142, 137, 141. Every second one was into the wind, so happy with them all.
    With w/u and c/d 5 miles covered.

Wednesday Jan 15
    5.5 easy miles with R.

Thursday Jan 16
    Club session: choice between easy run or roundabout session on Stocking lane. I'm never going to go for the easy run option on a club night, so off to SL I headed. Always the key to this session is pacing as the last hill is a killer. The distance between the roundabouts vary, so I didn't bother with the garmin - my only goal was to finish strong. Kept with my group of 4 and managed to keep even pace throughout. A really good session for me.

Friday Jan 17
    Rest day and physio apt (ouch!)

Saturday Jan 18
    5 slow miles with R

Sunday Jan 19
    Ladies M&T race 3, Lucan. Beautiful morning for racing, big crowd of participants 130+, 2 lap course of some football fields but to mix it up a bit there was a little hill thrown in. Started too far back and got boxed in so spent a bit of time trying to get into a decent position. By then two groups had broken away and I spent the race trying to catch the second group. Due to the fact that the ground was so soft, I think I overtook only 1 person. Only seconds between me and the 3 ladies who crossed the line just ahead of me. Crossed the line in 12th position. Lesson learned. :rolleyes:
    Delighted to catch up with my Donore arch-nemesis who finished 3 places ahead of me. Not the next time missy!

Monday Jan 20
    Had an opportunity to put some miles in today, so got my LSR done. 12 miles, looping and looping around the place. Pace was a bit up and down for this, it got better as I went on. Average pace 8:14

Tuesday Jan 21
    Stocking lane, short hill reps 250m x10. Was a bit sceptical as to how I would perform after yesterday's long run, but I needn't have bothered. Felt great and kept an even pace for all the reps. Ran nearly all of these with Gerard, just behind the lead group, but he sprinted off for the last one. Not sure what I was doing with the garmin, but some of my splits were messed up, I blame my gloves. 1 minute seemed to be the average.
    6 miles for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jcsmum wrote: »
    Delighted to catch up with my Donore arch-nemesis who finished 3 places ahead of me. Not the next time missy!

I noticed that on the results. Start beside her next time!

RayCun wrote: »
    I noticed that on the results. Start beside her next time!

and then kick her in the shins!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Sunflower??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I forgot about it, was meant to come out and watch. Leave my sunflower alone on Sunday...I should make it out to protect her. :mad:

Advertisement