Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance taboo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People in reciept of Rent Supplement (there's no such thing as Rent Allowance) cannot be trusted with their own State-appointed, means-teated, money, they will obviously spend their Rent Supplement on beer and nappies and not give the required rent to thier landlord as agreed.

Landlords are much better off only having tenants who are in paid employment, because God knows they will never cause you any hassle, never leave you short on rent, never run around and desert you.
    It might be useful if you were less cryptic in your sarcasm. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Theres a minority of bad ra tenants, and theres bad private tenants,many landlords dont take ra ,cos say you have a house in rathmines 930 per month is not a viable rent to get, you,ll get more from a working tenants.
    if i break up with my wife ,i would not expect the hse to give me ra on another house, especially when the imf is coming in to reduce our government spending.THE hse cant give 2 houses to every family on welfare, that splits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

As a taxpayer funding rent allowances I'd like to know why the Op can't simply move in with his or her parents.

I'd wager that if the OP could "simply" move in with their parents, they would be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

smccarrick wrote: »
    Check out the PRTB website- its not uptodate, but will give you a pretty good indication. The implications of being a landlord and not registering these days are an on-the-spot fine of 3k per incident- which is a sufficient deterrent to most. It used to be the case that there were a significant brigade of unregistered landlords out there who were abusing tenants, and the tax system. Those days are well and truly over though- and the cowboys who are still out there (and there are a few) will get their comeuppance. There is a separate division in the Revenue Commissioners focusing solely on 'cash-in-hand' businesses, with a section dedicated to private residential accommodation.

The pendulum has swung from being massively pro-landlord, to the other extreme. Many tenants may not have copped what their entitlements in law are, but believe you me- the rental sector here bares not semblance to that of 10 years ago.

Yeah Ill admit its based on a rather outdated view about the way letting used to be. I think I just saw enough cowboy landlords in my student days to make me wary of anything that might potentially be an issue, even if things are different these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

djimi wrote: »
    Yeah Ill admit its based on a rather outdated view about the way letting used to be. I think I just saw enough cowboy landlords in my student days to make me wary of anything that might potentially be an issue, even if things are different these days.

I understand fully what you're saying- god knows I was lucky to escape from at least one houseshare as a student. I do think student accommodation should be dealt with separately from the main market because of the unique issues it poses for both students and landlords. There are still absolute hovels on offer to students though- we have a laugh at some of the ridiculous properties aimed at students that come up on DAFT regularly here on this forum.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah yes, I remember some of the flats I visited when I was a student.
    And this thread reminds me of my cash in hand , what's a rent book, no receipts, signing nothing landlord.

Sent in a claim for rent allowance with his details when I moved out ;)

These dodgy flats and houses still exist but times have changed, no more queuing with 15 people with your deposit in cash if the place was half decent. Shudder, bad times

OP, you and the landlords out there will know more after the budget. Keep us updated on how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Where did that figure come from? The maximum Rent Supplemt (for a single person) is €98 a week.
    Recently got approved for rent allowance 930 a month
    There you go.

Advertisement