Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is accessing website?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the following.

I designed a simple website for my family, they have holiday homes. I installed StatCounter to keep an eye on the traffic through the website. The last week however the website has been accessed on a number of occasions (at least two times a day every day), by the Microsoft Corporation in Washington with the same IP address each time. It just seems strange to me that they keep returning as they would have no call to unless they were looking for accommodation in Sligo. Does anyone feel that there might be any other reason?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Seacrh engine spiders perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

I did think that but I wasn't sure why they would be accessing it so many times in such a short space of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

tricky D wrote: »
    Seacrh engine spiders perhaps

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I did think that but I wasn't sure why they would be accessing it so many times in such a short space of time.

yea it's the bing.com search bots. Each visit may be to index different things... One might index content, the next images, and so on. It also may only crawl one or two pages each visit.

It's not usual to have several crawls a day or have several bots on at the same time.

Advertisement