Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need Easy switching off/on of Wireless function on Netopia 1247

Options
  • 19-11-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Don't like to have Wireless running all the time , electro smog, etc. Anybody direct me to desktop batch-file that might toggle it on and off.
    Thanks

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

I bought a box of 4 remote controlled plug switches from Lidl for 20euro a while back (Maplin and others do them for 30-40euro) and all my computer gear is now plugged in using them. Bit more extreme than a batch file (try using telnet from within the batch file) but I can now power down stuff I don't use in a logical order.

/Edit I should have mentioned the real advantage of the remote control plugs is not having to crawl around under my desk to switch things off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I bought a box of 4 remote controlled plug switches from Lidl for 20euro a while back (Maplin and others do them for 30-40euro) and all my computer gear is now plugged in using them. Bit more extreme than a batch file (try using telnet from within the batch file) but I can now power down stuff I don't use in a logical order.

/Edit I should have mentioned the real advantage of the remote control plugs is not having to crawl around under my desk to switch things off.

Are these remote control switches not wireless? :D

@Op, don't be so paranoid, You'll not fry Your kids. Do You have a mobile phone? this is the biggest source of electro smog and You probably have one with You at all times.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Are these remote control switches not wireless? :D

Only for a few seconds when you press the remote control button :pac:

Its a bit tricky and my method is a bit messy but I've got it working here now on an XP machine and a Netopia Router (telnet prompt says its a Netopia-3000/20674000.)

The router was setup with a password of password you'll need to change the text files to include your own password and if necessary the logon username which in this case is admin.

First you need a Telnet scripting tool the one I used was at http://www.theworldsend.net/TST.zip

Next create a folder and in it put the unzipped tst10.exe then create 5 empty files and call them off.bat, on.bat, output.txt, scrptoff.txt and scrpton.txt

The off and on bat files are the batch files you'll run to switch the wireless on and off.

In the off.bat file we put the line:
    tst10.exe /r:scrptoff.txt /o:output.txt

In the on.bat file we put the line:
    tst10.exe /r:scrpton.txt /o:output.txt

In the scrptoff.bat we put:
    192.168.1.254 23
    WAIT "login:"
    SEND "admin\m"
    WAIT "Password:"
    SEND "password\m"
    WAIT ">"
    SEND "configure \m"
    WAIT ">"
    SEND "wireless\m"
    WAIT ">"
    SEND "option\m"
    WAIT ">"
    SEND "set off\m"
    WAIT ">"
    SEND "save\m"
    WAIT ">"
    SEND "exit\m"
    WAIT ">"
    SEND "restart\m"
    WAIT ">"
    edited as missed out in previous edit.

where 192.168.1.254 is the IP address of the router 23 is the default telnet port
    login: is the login prompt you see when you telnet to the router
    admin is the username
    Password is the password prompt (note its all case sensitive) you see when you telnet to the router
    password is the password
    configure
    etc comands to configure the wireless as being off and then save the settings then restart with the new settings

output.txt is a file that contains the output of the commands if there is a problem check whats in this file for whats been going on.

I'll leave you to work out your own script file for switching wireless back on.

btw not fully tested as I'm not 100% sure you don't need to send a reboot command to load the saved config...... will check and update.

Forgot you need to restart these routers to load the new config so restart added and tested with a wireless laptop and not just lookd in GUI to see if its working. If you have no password on the router you don't need line 2-7 in scrptoff.txt, just login with telnet and see what promt you get to see what first send you need is probably >.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

dohouch wrote: »
    Don't like to have Wireless running all the time , electro smog, etc. Anybody direct me to desktop batch-file that might toggle it on and off.
    Thanks

Didn't express my wish clearly but William Powell got it in his last post. I want to leave the router running, but to have the wireless switchable with a .bat from the "Desktop"
    I've come up with 2 other ways to do it.
    1. Set the router wireless settings page of router as my homepage in browser. Disadvantage I have to turn PC on to switch wireless off or on.

2. When I changed to "Vodafone at home" I got a new router, so I could connect both routers and set one of them to wireless and only switch it on when I need wireless.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Appologies to anyone who tried that script above as I’ve noticed that it don’t work. My bad I’ve got a new mouse with really sensitive side buttons that are set to go back to the previous webpage and I keep going back a page while editing so made a mess of it. I’ve updated it yet again and hope it’s now correct. I definitely does work and can be modified for any router that allows telnet access which is just about all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Just unpacked my Vodafone Huawei Router 556a, and it actually has an external hardware switch for wifi on/of.

Nice

Advertisement