Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick Discovery 2 - what's it worth??

• 19-11-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi guys

My trusty 99 Disco 2 TD5 auto has been a bit sick since March this year and sadly I have little time to get it sorted yet.

The auxiliary belt on the engine snapped one day at about 40MPH and when i got it replaced the engine was a bit rattly. I found out then that the crank damper needed replacing and also where the viscous fan goes into the engine, there's a tiny amount of play, which causes it to rattle when it's at idle.

Also about a week after, i lost all my power steering fluid and it's just running out as soon as it goes in. Can't see where it's coming from yet.

it was running fine prior to this, so basically i'm at the stage where i can let it sit there and just run it every few days, or see if anyone wants one to repair or as spares.

oh, it's a 7 seater with rear air suspension.

So basically I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what it's worth as it is?

Thanks

Pat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It's not worth a lot as is, maybe €750 - 1000 if you're lucky.

If you didn't run the engine after the drive belt went it won't have done any damage. When was the belt last changed? Does sound like one of the other problems caused to go though.

Would be worth curing the problems, if it's losing PAS fluid that quick it should be obvious and unlikely to be the pump or box. Crankshaft damper and viscous fan are easily replaced, possible the tensioner isn't working properly either. The bad news is a crankshaft damper is around €300, you sure it's not just loose, it's seperate to the pulley and bolts on.

Even so, spending €500 on parts would put value back up to €3-4000 if it's otherwise clean and straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jizzyboner

Hi Sean

When the belt went i was close to home luckily. It snapped and then seemed to have wrapped itself around the various parts at the front of the engine.

One of the idler pullies had seized so pulley and belt both replaced that time. not sure when the belt had been replaced prior to that.

The viscous fan is fine. the problem is where the piece of metal holding the viscous fan goes inside the front of the engine. It's loose inside so looks like front of engine off to get at it.

€300 sounds very cheap for a crank damper which is better than i had been quoted. I have prices of between €500 - €600 euro new. 2nd hand ones seem to be in very short supply.

I was figuring about €1000 for the disco as it is. Just don't have the time at the moment to devote to it. As for condition I'd say it's about average, but got me out of a lot of trouble last winter as well as some neighbours, so I'd be sorry to see it go.

Thanks anyway.

Pat

101sean wrote: »
    It's not worth a lot as is, maybe €750 - 1000 if you're lucky.

If you didn't run the engine after the drive belt went it won't have done any damage. When was the belt last changed? Does sound like one of the other problems caused to go though.

Would be worth curing the problems, if it's losing PAS fluid that quick it should be obvious and unlikely to be the pump or box. Crankshaft damper and viscous fan are easily replaced, possible the tensioner isn't working properly either. The bad news is a crankshaft damper is around €300, you sure it's not just loose, it's seperate to the pulley and bolts on.

Even so, spending €500 on parts would put value back up to €3-4000 if it's otherwise clean and straight.

Crank dampers are £265 for a non genuine one from UK suppliers.

Can't run Microcat on this PC but from the manual it looks like the fan is bolted to an idler pulley that comes as part of the front timing cover, I've never heard of one failing before. Looks like a big job to replace :(

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jizzyboner

101sean wrote: »
    Crank dampers are £265 for a non genuine one from UK suppliers.

Can't run Microcat on this PC but from the manual it looks like the fan is bolted to an idler pulley that comes as part of the front timing cover, I've never heard of one failing before. Looks like a big job to replace :(

Will investigate further Sean.

I had a feeling it was going to be a big job, even though it might look simple at the start. I have a feeling the belt snapping when it did caused more problems than i thought it would.

Thanks again.

Pat

Reminded me to look at Microcat on my laptop, the bearing the fan runs on is replaceable, held in with a circlip. Not covered in the workshop manual at all though so not clear if it can be done with timing cover in-situ, suspect it would have to be pressed out. Whole cover inc bearing is £156

If you want to look further in to it, pm me and I'll copy the page and give you a link to the manuals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement