Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TT to road bike conversion

• 19-11-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi,

I am considering converting my TT bike to a road bike, was wondering
    has anybody here done it or would anybody have an idea of what
    it would cost.

It is used for Triathlons and will only be doing a couple of events next year so it seems like a wast of a good bike.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I've experimented with going the other way i.e. road frame set up as TT and, while usable and faster than the roadbike in standard trim it was pretty compromised in terms of handling. I only used it like that for TTing (though one TT was quite long). I'd guess that a TT-to-road conversion would end up similarly problematic. You'd need a seatpost with a lot of layback and a longer stem for starters I'd imagine.

Is this a conversion just for the winter before turning it back into a TT machine in the spring? Or a more permanent job? Because you'd probably be better just getting a road frame and moving some of the components over...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depends on the fit, but I think TT->road is easier than the other way round as you're making the bike bigger rather than smaller.

The biggest cost will be the brifters. Bars, stem and (if necessary) seatpost are cheap as chips if you have a bit of self control.

Can we all agree not use the word "brifters" again?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    Can we all agree not use the word "brifters" again?

Shrakes it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

Would you not just trade it in for a road bike with clip on bars?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

i only plan on doing one maybe two Tri's next year, have a few other things on, so just trying to make the most out of it. Cant reallt afford a good road bike.

My main concern would be handling, but i seen an article that Chrissie Wellington set hers up as a Road bike for triathlon Alpe D'Huez http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Chrissie_Wellington_s_Cervelo_P2C_466.html, now im certainly not not in that league, but it worked for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

paddyduc wrote: »
    Would you not just trade it in for a road bike with clip on bars?.

had though about that, but really like the bike, find it really comfortable

EMPM wrote: »
    My main concern would be handling, but i seen an article that Chrissie Wellington set hers up as a Road bike for triathlon Alpe D'Huez http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Chrissie_Wellington_s_Cervelo_P2C_466.html, now im certainly not not in that league, but it worked for her.

She changed the shrakes to something more appropriate to the relentless climbing and descending of the alps but that is not "set up as a road bike". The saddle position is still absolutely slammed forward (the tip looks to be directly over the BB) and, while that might work for her it would be borderline unridable to most pure cyclists. There'd be a lot of weight to be supported by the arms and core while riding on the hoods or tops. I'd also bloody hate to have to slow that thing down in a hurry on a steep incline with my centre of gravity so far forward, but that's me.

What frame are you starting with? Does it have an integrated seatpost or the like? If it doesn't, and there enough headtube and fork steerer there you could certainly get a more conventional road position than Wellington's and have a more comfortable winter.

Advertisement