Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

board advice for someone new to surfing

Options
  • 19-11-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hey everyone im new here and im a bit at sea(pardon pun hehe) as what to do. i havent a clue what type of board to get. im 6 2" and 170 pounds.ive seen a nice 7 9" bic, would this be a good board for a complete beginner or should i go a little bigger. appreciate any input so dont spare me. thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I would go 9 or 10 ft if possible to start with, then if you progressed, a 7ft 9 would be a nice step down, and easy to manage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisJefferies

I'm 6' 3" and went with a 10'. I am a big 6'3" though so I can chuck it around quite easily and it needs to be big to take my weight. If you're on the leaner side a nice 9' as seachto7 says would be a good start.

Don't fall into the trap of getting a smaller board because it looks cool, you'll get fed up with it real quick. I couldn't find a 10' foamie so I had to go epoxy but you might get one in a 9'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 surfman1

thanks lads ill stay above 9 so.i definatly dont want to end up geting sick of it real quick cos i cant stay upright.what is the chances of getting one of these boards second hand and how much should i ecpect to pay for one. i wouldnt mind getting a epoxy board cos i have a brother i can pass it on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Launcher

I'm going to slightly disagree with the above posters - I wouldn't rule out buying a 7'9. Particularly as your quite light for your height and dont really need the extra float of a longboard. But your choice also depends on a number of different factors.

1) Your age and general level of athletic ability. If your young or youngish and decent enough at sport, good balance etc - I would go with the 7'9. You might be amazed how quickley you could progress. If your old, not in great shape, you'll get more out of going with a longboard.

2) How often are you planning on surfing? If your only planning on going surfing a couple of times a month. Get a longboard, it'll be more enjoyable.

3) Where are you planning on surfing? If your down around Cork/Waterford, I would probably go with the longboard.

Finally you should really be asking this question to someone at a good surfshop or a shaper. It's very difficult to get an accurate response to this question on a forum.

Anyway, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 surfman1

hey launcher im 24 and quite athlethic ive played hurling football and boxing up until 18 and soccer up untill 22 and started again recently (stopped due to back injury). soccer on its own isnt enough so ive decied on surfing after thinking about it for a while, i have a few friends who surf thats what swayed it. im definatly going to surf alot, i usually throw myself into whatever im doing. id be fairly confident in trying something new but this is like nothing ive done before. either way ill definatly talk to an expert before i commit to a purchase.im on the west coast by the way. thanks for the reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

Hi

I'm 6'3, £180

Started with an 8ft mixed foam and pvc base, more than suitable.

Seen many people over here in OZ surfing with short boards to look cool and it's embarrassing. For the first 6 months get a board around 8ft or larger and do as much as possible on it and then move up or down, whatever your into after getting comfortable surfing. It will be the best board you get in terms of fun as it's so new and great to catch waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Rent boards until you are sure about what size you need. You should be able to hire a few different sizes of boards to find the one thats right for you :)

Advertisement