Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First timer

Options
  • 19-11-2010 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey Guys,

I am looking at getting an aquarium in the next few weeks!!

I would love some recommendations regarding whether it should be a Saltwater or Freshwater tank.

I am hoping to get pretty fish for the tank and im not sure what nice looking freshwater fish there are.

Thanks guys!

JP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the possibilities are nearly endless but:

There are basically 3 types:

Cold fresh water: goldfish and the like
    Tropical fresh water: lot and lots and lots of fish
    Marine: same as above

Marine is more difficult to maintain than the other two but offer slightly more in terms of corals, inverts and crazy looking fish. Marine is also a lot more expensive as more equipment is required.

Where are you based? Your best bet would probably be go into a local shop and have a look, ask some questions, decide what you like the look of. Tank size is a big factor, bigger is easier to maintain conditions in but more expensive etc.

The one big thing I've learned is patience, cycling a tank and getting it ready takes a good bit of time. 6-8 weeks. Read the Cycling stick to see what this is about.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 scazi

Thanks!

I'm based out in Portmarnock. What size tank would you recommend?

I was looking at a 54l but I have no idea how big that is in reality. I'll be popping into some shops this weekend to have a look.

Do you know of any decent shops in the north side?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Petstop Blanch SC
    Kinsealy Petstore on Malahide Rd
    Fins Fur & Feathers Unit 7, Seatown Business Campus, Seatown Rd

Advertisement