Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mending rendering-cement or silicon?

• 19-11-2010 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I am poking around with the front of the house and have uncovered old repairs done to cracks in the rendering.
    It is over 20 years old at least and I think at was a professional job.
    They obviously widened the cracks , filled them with a sealant (silicon mastic by the feel of it) and recovered with a thin local layer of cement which was then painted.
    I am wondering if I should redo this the same way -or would cement be adequate
    Have silicon sealants improved greatly over the past 20 years -enough to justify using them instead as I guess they would be a bit more flexible than cement?
    The cracks are up to 5 feet in length (vertical and horizontal) and would be at most half an inch wide at the openings.

Advertisement