Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to charge to mind a baby in my own home?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is something that has cropped up before, I am posting this on behalf of a friend who isn't on Boards. She is thinking of minding her niece who will be about 9 months at the time for 4 days a week.

She would be minding the baby from about 9-5 give or take, in my friends own home. As it's a family member, she isn't sure what to charge, she doesn't want to charge over the odds, but at the same time she wants to make it worth her while.

She was thinking of charging €20 a day, would this be about right based on people's experience? She is in a country town if that makes any difference and the mother would be providing nappies, food etc. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

20 a day sounds a little low,the going rate for that age would be normally around 35-60 per day.
    It is a long day and babies often take up a lot of time and energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you have someone coming into your home to mind your child you are techinally and legally employing them and have to pay them the minimum wage and sort out thier tax and prsi.

Childminders work from thier own home and are considered self employed so that doesn't apply to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi I think 20 is a little low, 25 would still be a very reasonable amount in my opinion. I have done childminding before for family and my main advice would be to reach an agreement on everything to avoid any conflict at a later date. For example will your friend be paid when the child is not there due to parents having holiday time or the child been ill. Also your friend should ask for as much notice as possible for when the parents will be on holidays, just in case she wants to fit her own holiday plans around that time. Should your friend be unable to mind the child for a particular week ie. if her husband is off and they would like to spend that time doing things as a family, she should let her the mother know so she can make alternative arrangements. Your friend also needs to figure out with the mother if it is ok to leave the baby with a particular person in the case of an emergency/appointment. All these points may sound a bit ott but the clearer both sides are on the arrangement the less chance of any disagreement later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Great advice there Astra, was actually looking for a list of points to formalise with the woman who'll be taking my wee buck. She's local and kind of a friend, so I want to make sure everything is clear-cut from the get-go. I'm printing it off!:)

OP, I think 20 is a bit low too. I know a friend of mine pays her child-minder that, but I personally think it's very low for the care of a child and I'm in the country too. I know we're all pressed, but unless your friend is at home anyway with a few kids or is getting welfare payments, she should look for 25 or 30.

(Here's a thought: my husband's teenage cousin got €50 and a taxi home for babysitting a sleeping baby one Saturday night recently:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for all the replies, I have passed this link on to my friend, she is at home anyway with 2 of her own kids, but if she takes her niece she will have 3 babies under age 3 to mind! She feels that the 3rd will really hamper her ability to leave the house at all, so any less than €20 just wouldn't be worth her while. Thanks again!

(Here's a thought: my husband's teenage cousin got €50 and a taxi home for babysitting a sleeping baby one Saturday night recently)

Any chance I can get that job!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

ncmc eek that's a big undertaking for €20 a day. I'd say €35 per day would be a fair amount for both sides. Also, as others said, she needs to clarify the position on holidays etc and payment from the beginning so there's no resentment or misunderstandings later on.

Advertisement