Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RC Plane/Helicopter?

• 19-11-2010 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just thinking about getting an RC helicopter or maybe a plane and attaching 2 madbull 120 round grenades to it? then attaching a video cam to it?

how would i get the grenades to fire a shower of BB's without attaching the launcher?

would i be allowed to use it in a game?

And i Know theres a BB firing apache already out there but the bbs only go about 15 feet

any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Would the RC heli be able to support the additional weight of two madbul grenades? I wouldn't think the blades would have enough power or lift to sport the additional weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭3102derek

the heli would more than likely be off balance too, so would be very difficult to control.

also have a read here => http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456806&page=16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

Sounds kind of dangerous no?? As you would have to fly the helicopter fairly close to your target risking hitting them with it. Doubt any sites insurance would cover it.

Cool idea though, would be a fun toy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

if u put 2 madbulls on either sides it would balance it, and madbulls go quite far so u wouldnt have to go that close,

maybe if u used a plane it would be safer?

bombs away!! ...uh ..i mean bbs away,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭thermo

if you can get the helicopter close enough to someone to use it, it is close enough for said person to shoot it down.

m203 rounds can be activated by using solinoids.

• Advertisement

ok 3rd idea?

ROVIO!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/c7b4/

its already equipped with live cam, so all u'd have to do is attach some sort of bb firing device to it? maybe a madbull or 2?

think about it, you could sit back with your laptop at a safe distance
    then remotely drive rovio into the enemy base, using its built in cam, then press a button and fire 120 bbs at an enemy

it would be excellent for leading the way in close quarters

even better, using the built in mic, sneek up on and enemy and shout "BANG!" into your laptop, then enemy would be like "wtf i cant see you"

for safety , i'd probably cover rovio with a light metal or something and maybe give it sturdier wheels

ok scrap the helicopter idea,

maybe a plane or rovio, see above comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Buddy of mine in work is mad into his RC Choppers
    and now is starting to build his own Airplanes from scratch.
    (one of my neighbours has those lovely Nitro powered ones yummy)

He's been asking also about getting being able to modify the helicopter
    to fire BB's I had suggested he look for a cheap AEP maybe that would work.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Jamez735 wrote: »
    ok 3rd idea?

ROVIO!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/c7b4/

its already equipped with live cam, so all u'd have to do is attach some sort of bb firing device to it? maybe a madbull or 2?

think about it, you could sit back with your laptop at a safe distance
    then remotely drive rovio into the enemy base, using its built in cam, then press a button and fire 120 bbs at an enemy

it would be excellent for leading the way in close quarters

even better, using the built in mic, sneek up on and enemy and shout "BANG!" into your laptop, then enemy would be like "wtf i cant see you"

for safety , i'd probably cover rovio with a light metal or something and maybe give it sturdier wheels
    till someone picks it up and turns it off.

attach the part of a lighter that gives a shock to the off button, problem solved,

or cover up the off button with something

• Advertisement

just dug up this,

there goes the foam plane idea,

maybe a higher quality plane?,

im really liking the rovio idea, and the plane with 2 madbulls on it? is it legal in ireland, cause i know its not in some countries to fire things from planes

edit sorry forgot to post the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HGmoxotBi8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u20RzrrP5i0&NR=1

view both of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

thermo wrote: »
    till someone picks it up and turns it off.

Or steps on it.

"Looks like you need to boot up..."
    comarny.gif
    *crunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

It's quite unfeasible really. It's technically possible, sure, but it'd cost a fortune. The helicopter option will be a nightmare to fly with such heavy weight, the plane option will be impossible to aim and accurately release your payload - not to mention the long runway you'd need - and the Rovio is nothing more than a toy for the house, it's motors wouldn't have the necessary torque to go over rough terrain carrying it's own weight in payload delivery equipment.
    Remember that the power-to-weight ratio of these models is pretty tight. Adding anything like even a single 40mm grenade and a firing and mounting device is going to require significant modification including a much larger engine and a full re-evaluation of the CG, with counter balancing to reposition it. The airframe might not allow for these changes and the wingspan may not be large enough to produce the required lift anymore.

If you desperately need a remote attack vehicle, build a land based unit from scratch and put it on caterpillar tracks with high torque motors. Keep it low for stability, with good ground clearance for the undercarriage and mount your offensive capability on a two or three axis articulated arm or two axis mount.
    Simple.

ok the solution has been found!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

http://fastedfjet.com/08/f-117-nighthawk-stealth-edf/

rc f 117 with trapdoor to fill bbs inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Except EDF "jets" are designed to fly at very high speeds. They'll easily reach 100mph, simply because they need to in order to remain stable in the air.
    It's not a great option, but it's the best of the bunch that requires the least work. You will, at least, get the craic of flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

Jamez735 wrote: »
    ok the solution has been found!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

http://fastedfjet.com/08/f-117-nighthawk-stealth-edf/

rc f 117 with trapdoor to fill bbs inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I gotta say, that looks, well,, difficult but pretty damn Cool! :p

Ok guys,

i've decided to get

this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwKIJtQWleI&feature=player_embedded

its amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only question is,

would any airsoft field allow me to use it?

If you're seriously going the EDF route, get a model with a larger wingspan and a less swept trailing edge. If you demand the modern looking fighters, something like an F16 Falcon or F18 Hornet would be more stable. Delta wing aircraft like the F2000 Mirage would also be good options due to lower stall speeds.
    I've seen proper turbojet A-10 Thunderbolt models around, there may be an EDF version too. If so, the aircraft is originally designed for slower speed operation, so you might find it easier and more manoeuvrable.

i no nothing about rc planes

could u suggest a different model thats modern and has a trap door to fill bbs with?

ok considering i know nothing about rc planes, and the fact that i wouldnt be allowed to fly it at an airsoft field, coupled with the fact the this thing goes 100 miles an hour , makes me wonder whether or not i should get it?

yes it is, ...awesome in every way, but I'll end up breaking it lol...

hm....

im not sure anymore...

• Advertisement

ok im hopping on the simulator for some flight experience

if i was going to get anything i would probably get

http://www.bananahobby.com/1842.html

i dont really like the jet anymore, so could someone take a look at the apache link above and suggest ways for me to mod it so it fired bbs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Mando Commando

Hi there,
    I used to fly RC planes a few years ago and hung out with the local RC club. There is a fair bit of learning involved in flying these yokes, and getting into them is like getting into airsoft - you might become obsessed and spend a fortune! Which is fine cos it's loads of fun.

Traditionally what people do is start with what they call a trainer, which is a slow flying, high winged plane that has very stable flight characteristics, so you can get the hang of flying, taking off and landing (in that order), while minimising the chances of destroying your machine in a crash etc. I have seen some of these crash and it's a balls for whoever owns it. Some say it's inevitable somewhere along the way if you get into flying. Another advantage of this design though, which might suit you, is that they can lift more weight to their power because of the big high wing. Plus they may maintain better stability with an altered centre of balance.

You can get nitro powered ones, 2 stroke and four stroke, which are cool and can be pretty powerfull, but finicky compared to the newer electric fan types. The fan ones are cheaper these days and you can get ones made of foam that can take a beating but will never lift the extra weight. But on saying that you could probably go and get one and learn to fly it without going down the trainer road cos they can survive crashes well, specially if the motor is towards the back of the plane, and their so light that some of them don't even have an undercarraige, they just flop down on the ground in landing, hey presto.

My advice would be - If your really interested in flying, get in touch with your local club and go and see what it's all about. They will put you in the right diection.

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-flying-clubs-ireland.html

Think that could be a little out of date, but anyway....

And if your not really that interested just buy a cheap electric plane and have a blast.

As for using them on the airsoft field, no reputable field will allow the nitro ones as they could chop your friggin head off. Even the foam electric ones could do damage if they hit ya with enough speed. I know that RC clubs organise their own insurance for their flying fields, and I doubt it's covered in the insurance of your local airsoft field, but I don't know?

I gave up RC when I hit on airsoft - carefull the reverse doesn't happen to you!!

Mmmm that Apache looks easy to fly anyways, thats good. It also looks light. Someone suggested using the guts of an AEP, that would seem to be the best idea, but not sure if it would lift even that. Also it's a four channel controller with no swithes so there is no spare channel to control an extra servo, which you would need to fire the bb. You could use another controller or something to fire the bbs. The company "Park" do cheap servos and controllers.

Also wouldn't pay $109 for it plus shipping and duty.

hm... im kinda interested in the jet again, theres a field literally 2 mins away from where i live, and im sure i'd be allowed fly it there

and incase i crash it, i'd put a parachute in the bomb hatch place with a string connected to the nose of the plane , just for emergency s

i press 1 button and its completely safe, sounds good,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The most awsome RC Jet I have ever seen!
    The F14
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zE9QciZKwU

F117 that drops a bomb
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u20RzrrP5i0&feature=related

And to stop me going too much off topic
    Airsoft AEG's VS RC Planes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HGmoxotBi8&feature=channel

[EDIT]cant leave airwolf out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVagmBvFLig&feature=related
    and OH MY GOD! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC_MAev0eyk&feature=related
    ~B

To be fair, what I know comes from experience with years working with real aircraft, but the aerodynamics are the same, so I can only make suggestions based on characteristics, not specific brands or types.

I'd agree with what Mando said, however. You need to start off slow and build up. It's no use jumping headlong into a high-sweep, jet based aircraft like those. A plastic fuselage + very high speed + ground = ruined day.
    Get yourself a high-wing prop trainer and learn the basics first, then work your way up to Air-to-Ground Attack systems if you still fancy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭flashinbluelite

i have looked into this ALOT, €1000+ for a visible RC airsoft UCAV. wicked idea though..... and i have been flying RC planes for years and im dying to make one with the guts of a MP5 or AEP of some sort of armament , one simple equation (yes dex simple) plane+airsoft gun=crash, crash = law suit from player you mill out of it with a 60 MPH scale plane with bb shooter.......

There are a whole host of other factors to take into account when considering mounting an airsoft device of any description to an aircraft, chief among which is the effects of speed, vector and airflow on the device's ability to fire. For example, if your aircraft was doing 50mph (not particularly fast, relatively) and your device was mounted at the wing root (so as to disturb the CG as little as possible), what effect would that have on the piston's ability to draw-in the full volume of air required for a full power firing, bearing in mind the air flow and pressure differences around that area, as well as the point that you're firing into your own path at that speed.

Basically, yeah, it's possible. But it's even more complicated than figuring out how to mount and remotely trigger a micro AEP gearbox or a grenade. Welcome to physics, my friend, how may I help you today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Stephen-mx3

i'm going to be modding the Black Ops RC car (RC car with a camera built into the front that transmit audio and video back to the controller) to either fire over 203 with servos attached or just a claymore. probably go down the 203 route as i have a few. And as i mostly stick to indoor CQB, it'll be fine.

Going to pick up one of the crappy little wide angle lens attachments that are meant for camera phones because the car seems to have a magnification of about 1.7x to 2x.

I'm going to be honest, it was my ONLY reason for buying the prestige edition of the game :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bigben121

i'm going to be modding the Black Ops RC car (RC car with a camera built into the front that transmit audio and video back to the controller) to either fire over 203 with servos attached or just a claymore. probably go down the 203 route as i have a few. And as i mostly stick to indoor CQB, it'll be fine.

Going to pick up one of the crappy little wide angle lens attachments that are meant for camera phones because the car seems to have a magnification of about 1.7x to 2x.

I'm going to be honest, it was my ONLY reason for buying the prestige edition of the game :rolleyes: :D
    please post pics :D

in time ;)

need a servo and remote control relay. ebay is my friend here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

That RC will have to lift some serious weight :confused:

a 203 grenade, single servo and a cheapy ebay 9v remote control like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/1CH-RF-Wireless-Remote-Control-Transmitter-Receiver-/160511278923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item6b1af34b4b with a rechargeable battery that is also powering the car itself. shouldnt be too bad Nick

Advertisement