Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to go about designing my new tattoo

Options
  • 19-11-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi Guy's

I have decided I am going to get a new tattoo.
    I have a fair idea of what I want and thanks to you guys I have a realise that the best option is to go and sit with an artist and work through what I want.

Now - anything we come up with I will want to take away and mull over ( get green light from herself also ).

So - how do I got about it...

1. walk in discuss and ask for some sketches.
    2. make appointment - discuss and pay for a detailed design I can get done somewhere else at my leisure.
    3. get drunk pick something and live with it ! :D

thanks again for all your help boardsies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Usual procedure is
    1, Find an artist whos style and work you like.
    2, Talk to them, tell him your ideas and what you're looking for.
    3, Pay a deposit and arrange a time for your tattoo.
    If you've done your homework properly and chosen the right artist for yourself then, when you come back to get the tattoo, the drawings/ stencil will be ready and you can go ahead. Worst case, they may have to make a few tweaks to the design. If you choose not to go ahead with it, then your forfeited deposit will go someway to cover the time they've spent getting drawngs ready.
    Most artists will not hand you a drawing they've done so that you can take it elsewhere and get it tattooed by someone else,at your leisure, probably cheaper. It may be your idea, but it's their skill that drew it up. It's also insulting to an artist for you to even ask them to let you take it elsewhere. If you valued their skill enough to get them to draw the design, then you should value it enough to get them to tattoo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Usual procedure is
    1, Find an artist whos style and work you like.
    2, Talk to them, tell him your ideas and what you're looking for.
    3, Pay a deposit and arrange a time for your tattoo.
    If you've done your homework properly and chosen the right artist for yourself then, when you come back to get the tattoo, the drawings/ stencil will be ready and you can go ahead. Worst case, they may have to make a few tweaks to the design. If you choose not to go ahead with it, then your forfeited deposit will go someway to cover the time they've spent getting drawngs ready.
    Most artists will not hand you a drawing they've done so that you can take it elsewhere and get it tattooed by someone else,at your leisure, probably cheaper. It may be your idea, but it's their skill that drew it up. It's also insulting to an artist for you to even ask them to let you take it elsewhere. If you valued their skill enough to get them to draw the design, then you should value it enough to get them to tattoo it.

thanks for you detailed reply.

I may have worded my post incorrectly, I don't really have any intention of having someone design a tattoo only for me to have another actually do it, you are of course correct, that would be an insult. My point is, my wife and I will not have the time to get in together in order to have it designed, we just can't make it, and I want us both to be happy with it ( I am not the only one who has to look at it). I would like to be able to take sketches away to contemplate at my leisure. I'd be happy to pay for the design and then pay for them to do the actual tattoo if thats possible.

I gather from what your saying that thats not the way it works ?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I would like to be able to take sketches away to contemplate at my leisure. I'd be happy to pay for the design and then pay for them to do the actual tattoo if thats possible.
    I now understand your question. It varies from studio to studio, but usually, if you book your appointment and leave a deposit, the more substantial the better, then it shows you're genuine and really do want the tattoo and so taking sketches away is, for a lot of studios, fine. Some places may charge a fee for the designs but when you go to get the tattoo they deduct the initial fee from the total, a form of security deposit if you like.
    Best thing to do is find an artist whos work and style you like and arrange to talk to them. They'll let you know what their own policy is and it will make it easier for you to make your decision.

Advertisement