Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canoe repair...any ideas ?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    Bought a damaged 16ft Canadian recently. Plastic welded a 20" crack in the hull. Repair seems fine but I'm worried that this might be a weak spot in the future.
    Needs some reinforcement...problem is, the hull is polyurethane, and tends to flex a lot, so I can't use fibre glass to patch it.
    Is there a flexible resin you can use,?.. have been looking at Sikaflex, but not sure how good it is...
    Or a patch maybe ?
    Any ideas ?...Thanks in advance...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

How did you weld it?

This might be just what you want.

West System G/flex Epoxy

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

How did you weld it?

This might be just what you want.

West System G/flex Epoxy

Adrian

Looks like the chuck norris of glues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

del88 wrote: »
    Looks like the chuck norris of glues...

Use it with kevlar mesh to make it stronger . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 terryerr72

Cheers for the tips guys..
    @adrian....I welded it with a gas soldering iron with a 1/2" tip, using plastic strips cut from elsewhere on the hull.
    That G Flex, plus kevlar mesh sounds like a good combo.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that likes chainsaws, and throwing canoes off bridges :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

I-canoe have stuff call wreck repair it comes in patches or in the form of bang plates for the ends. It is way better then Kevlar plates as it will flex and wont chip.
    Pop into the shop or give them a buzz and they can guide you. They have a canoe in the shop with it fitted so you can see what it is like.

Cheers
    Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 terryerr72

Thanks for that Paddy,....will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

There's a new version of Tech 7 in hardwares these days, pretty sure it's called Tack 7.

A hull repair I did stood up very well when I shaped a bit of plastic to suit the hull and roughed up boat and plastic patch. Then simply glued it to the inside of the hull with Tack 7. Left a decent bit of weight (well a lot of weight) on it for a couple of days. To complete the repair I heated the patch and smoothed the edges all round so nothing would catch on it. Saw a similar patch glued with Tigerseal

Also I here very good reports about this stuff
    http://sugru.com/
    New Irish product, dunno how well it'd work over a large area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

I tested Sugru for them on a cracked creek boat worked ok but I dont know if it would last especially with alot of hull flex. It is also useless on the outside as it rubs off on the first impact. Seemed good on inside repairs though!

Advertisement