Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Connect

Options
  • 19-11-2010 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with facebook connect.

- Can the user still register as normal with relevant details on my site and just use facebook details to log in.
    - Do I get access to any of their facebook data?
    - I presume facebook dont have access to the data I have on my clients, facebook are just providing the login capability.
    - Did you find any advantages to facebook connect outside the ability to allow users to login to your site with their facebook details. Liking things on your site etc
    - Did you find it easy to install
    - Do people use it.
    - Any other other comments or things I should becareful of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Im using with Joomla / Jomsocial on a number of sites, so heres my take

- Can the user still register as normal with relevant details on my site and just use facebook details to log in.

Yes

- Do I get access to any of their facebook data?
    Depending on the setup of connect yes you can, Avatar / Email address

- I presume facebook dont have access to the data I have on my clients, facebook are just providing the login capability.

Correct.

- Did you find any advantages to facebook connect outside the ability to allow users to login to your site with their facebook details. Liking things on your site etc

The fact you can
    (a) Advertise the connect application via facebook to targeted audiences
    (b) No requirement for visitors to signup with new credentials / usernames makes it attractive and pretty seamless espessially if they are already logged into facebook.
    (c) Easy to get bulk visitors though facebook friends

- Did you find it easy to install
    Reasonably once the application was set up - having my mobile phone as verified for more than one site was the biggest hassle.

- Do people use it.
    Yep

- Any other other comments or things I should becareful of.
    Not off the top of my head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

wordpress + OpenID plugin
    works

Advertisement