Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a hurling club in Newbridge in the New Year.

Options
  • 19-11-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hello there.
    I moved to Newbridge a year ago or so and really want to get back hurling after a few years out. Would like to know is there a junior club in Newbridge that I could tog out with for training in the New Year. Am on the wrong side of 30 so I kinda know my own level. I am no young lad so can't go racin around the pitch anymore. Them days are over sad to say.
    Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Moorefield definitely have a hurling club, and Sarsfields might have one too. Traditionally they cover different ends of the town - so it depends where you live. You could drop either club a note - there are contact details on the County Board website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

ardclough have a great hurling team just out side clane.. moorefield and sarsfields are more of a football club.
    but maybe you could teach a bit of hurling to the kids in sarsfields on saturdays.
    after all its the best team in newbridge with 21 county championsips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Definitly moorefield, doesnt matter where you live in the town with the whole moorefield sarsfield thing unless you were originally from newbridge and had family ties, www.moorefieldgaaclub.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Yeah Moorefield is the bets option.Being from Newbridge,now living in Kildare town i can tell you that where you live has llittle relevance to the team you play for.
    Friend of mine lives i the heart of Moorefield and plays for Sarsfields.

Both teams are trying to encourage hurling but definitely more work and better team is Moorefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

murty01 wrote: »
    Hello there.
    I moved to Newbridge a year ago or so and really want to get back hurling after a few years out. Would like to know is there a junior club in Newbridge that I could tog out with for training in the New Year. Am on the wrong side of 30 so I kinda know my own level. I am no young lad so can't go racin around the pitch anymore. Them days are over sad to say.
    Thanks a million

Hi murty01, i'm in the very same position as yourself, i moved to Newbridge about 6 months ago and havent played hurling for a few years now either. I have been thinking about getting back into it, i'm 27 and kind of feel if i don't start playing again at some level i would regret it. I live up close to the Sarsfields pitch, my understanding is they have 2 hurling teams. There first team is Intermediate, the second team is Junior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dunner1974

I'm in the same boat Been out of the game for a few year since moving to Kildare Town from Wexford Looking to get back into it Only have a few years left in the legs Been looking at Moorefields and Sarsfields web sites and they seem to only have one hurling team in each club ??What about Ros Glas hurling club ? Are they any good ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kkman2011

Hi lads, just after coming across this thread.... I'm living in Kildare town myself for the last year or so. I'm playing senior hurling for my local club at home in Offaly and working in Dublin. The constant travel is starting to get a bit much so if anyone can guide me towards a decent hurling club in the Kildare town area that would take me I'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Traditionally Kildare Town hurlers have played with the Naomh Brid Club which plays their home games in Rathangan. They used to occasionally play games at St Brigid's Park in Kildare, which is the Round Towers pitch, but the football side of things has maxed out the capacity so there hasn't been space to also accommodate hurling.

Rathangan GFC should be able to put you in touch - contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭silverview

Dunner1974 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat Been out of the game for a few year since moving to Kildare Town from Wexford Looking to get back into it Only have a few years left in the legs Been looking at Moorefields and Sarsfields web sites and they seem to only have one hurling team in each club ??What about Ros Glas hurling club ? Are they any good ?

I'm the same as yourself Dunner i'm from Wexford as well and moved to Newbridge there about 6 months ago. I haven't played hurling in awhile, let us know what club your joining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭kildareman09

ros glas are not a great team tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 robin2011

I'd recommend Sarsfields, they have progressed alot in recent years. Junior champions in 2009, Intermediate B champions in 2010. Beat Moorefield handy in intermediate league last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sillymoo2007

Dunner1974 wrote: »

Wexford!!! are ya sure ya even know how to play lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

robin2011 wrote: »
    I'd recommend Sarsfields, they have progressed alot in recent years. Junior champions in 2009, Intermediate B champions in 2010. Beat Moorefield handy in intermediate league last year.

Moorefield are now playing Senior Hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sillymoo2007

I'm from kilkenny, living in newbridge we should have a county colours night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭murty01

I've decided to join Sarsfields. Tis handy for location and they look to have a good set up there with a good team that's looking to go places this year. Lookin forward to gettin back in to it. Thanks a mill for all your suggestions. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

If you didn't mind a 20 min drive from both Newbridge or Kildare town you may be interested in playing with Coill Dubh. If you are really serious about winning senior honours then this is defo the place to go. It is rare enough not to see them in a county final.

Advertisement