Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long distance cycling routes Dublin??

Options
  • 19-11-2010 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all, i am looking to get some advice on where to cycle on my long distance training rides. I'm on the North side of Dublin city. trainign for 50 mile ultra ans then ironman following year. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

louiscoyne wrote: »
    Hi all, i am looking to get some advice on where to cycle on my long distance training rides. I'm on the North side of Dublin city. trainign for 50 mile ultra ans then ironman following year. Thanks for your help.

Where northside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

hi louiscoyne

my favourinte route for long rides this year was to head out from the phoenix park to dunboyne and then on to trim and back across to summerhill and then kilcock. the road between trim and kilcok is very good by irish standards. if you keep going to maynooth and back to the park via leixlip, lucan and strawberry beds it is about 100k. if you turn around at kilcok and head back the way you came it is closer to 130k.

other options would be to head out the road to ashbourne from finglas and then on to slane, (the N2 I think) you can keep going as far as ardee and just turn around depending on what time or distance you are trying to cover. It can be a busy road though and the surface isnt great

or there are lots of options by heading out north of the airport towards the naul and you can head across to balbriggan and back in lusk/rush to swords, although the traffic on the last bit is pretty intimidating

enjoy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I take in alot of the dunboyne, summerhill, kilcock route also from celbridge. Nice roads and usually quiet enough at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Jnealon

metal dog wrote: »
    hi louiscoyne

my favourinte route for long rides this year was to head out from the phoenix park to dunboyne and then on to trim and back across to summerhill and then kilcock. the road between trim and kilcok is very good by irish standards. if you keep going to maynooth and back to the park via leixlip, lucan and strawberry beds it is about 100k. if you turn around at kilcok and head back the way you came it is closer to 130k.

I used to do a similar route to this leaving from Lucan then on to navan, delvin, mullingar, kinnegad and back.
    Just remember to bring loads of figrolls

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Aidogogo

I live the coastal northside route. Depending on which side you're coming from, but i start in swords, malahide, portmarnock, baldoyle, howth (depending on which stage of training i am at i may do Howth Hill couple of times each way), into city along coast road and back out similar route or cut out Howth...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

The roads out by Summerhill/Dunboyne are good alright. Good surface and theres lots of country roads with little traffic. Been doing my Saturday cycles out around there recently, cant beat just heading up a different side road each time and see where it takes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Bambaata wrote: »
    The roads out by Summerhill/Dunboyne are good alright. Good surface and theres lots of country roads with little traffic. Been doing my Saturday cycles out around there recently, cant beat just heading up a different side road each time and see where it takes you.
    Great roads for a spin alright. My regular loop is out to Summerhill/Rathmolyon and across to Kilcock or Enfield and back. I'm slowly extending it with plans to get to Mullingar eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 murphy93

have you tried to meet with your local club?
    Back roads to Kells, Ardee are great but Carlingford my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 louiscoyne

hi all, thanks for the replies. I'm right next to the pheonix park so it will be ideal for me take in the dunboyne summerhill route. I like the other options of the howth - malahide route also.

Starting to train for an iron man, its a long way off but i have other endurance events in the mean time and i think the long spins will be good for my cross training.

Thanks again

hi all, another quick follow up question:

I have primarily been a runner for the last 18 months and have not entered any other form of races. I have cycled for my cross training during this time and now find the urge to compete in multi-disciplinary events. I have completed 3 marathons in this time and have always trained alone.

Would you recommed joining a tri club? Obviouly i will have to be a member of Triathlon Ireland if i want to compete in any events next year. Can people recommend clubs to join?

Again north side near pheonix park, have looked at some websites already but is one better than the other, would like good community and social aspect.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

louiscoyne wrote: »
    hi all, another quick follow up question:

I have primarily been a runner for the last 18 months and have not entered any other form of races. I have cycled for my cross training during this time and now find the urge to compete in multi-disciplinary events. I have completed 3 marathons in this time and have always trained alone.

Would you recommed joining a tri club? Obviouly i will have to be a member of Triathlon Ireland if i want to compete in any events next year. Can people recommend clubs to join?

Again north side near pheonix park, have looked at some websites already but is one better than the other, would like good community and social aspect.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Some clubs are totally sh!te and should be avoided. If near Phoenix park then 3dtri would probably suit best.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

I'd recommend 3DTri club from personal experience. Very active club, most training is based aroubnd the park or nearby and the club members are friendly too

thanks guys, i've checked the website, it looks like a winner, plus the location is ideal for me.

Advertisement