Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this work?

• 19-11-2010 8:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Hey, Ive got a new eircom silver modem, the one with 2 ariels on it, and Im wondering if it is possible to use this a router I think their called (the things that allow you plug just a LAN cable into it from like a wall socket, and broadcast the connection over wireless, without the need for a phone line cable). The modem has a phone line socket on it though, and DSL written over a light on it.

If its not, what do I need as this would be very handy in my college apartment. cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yes. You'll need to disable the WAN port on the router though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Oh thats good to know! How do I do that though? is it a physical button to do that, or do I log into the router? Theres a button on the back that says: PBC over it.

This is the modem anyway: eircom_netopia.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Not sure I follow. That modem / router (the one you have) has wireless on it.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Not sure I follow. That modem / router (the one you have) has wireless on it.
    Yes but in my college apartment I dont have a phone line connection, just a slot in the wall to plug a LAN cable into and plug the other end into the laptop, but im wondering is it possible to plug the other end of the lan cable into the modem and use it as wireless, and if so how.

Anyone know or can pick up on what Pacifico said?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Oh yes i see now, yes thats fine go ahead, just plug the cable from the wall into a lan port on the router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I see now. Yeah, if you plug on of the LAN ports on the router into the wall you should pick up a signal. You could be better of buying a new wireless router though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I see now. Yeah, if you plug on of the LAN ports on the router into the wall you should pick up a signal. You could be better of buying a new wireless router though.
    hardly need to, a decent N router is pricy!

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    Oh yes i see now, yes thats fine go ahead, just plug the cable from the wall into a lan port on the router
    I'vetried that now but im getting no signal over wireless, and the light under "DSL" is coloured red (normal is green). What am I doing wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

to get this right,

in your student apartment, there is an ethernet port on the wall.
    you can plug in, and get connected to the internet.

you want to plug a cable into it, and then into the modem and broadcast the same internet wireless?

right?

if yes, then connect the ethernet cable to the wall and to the router. connect it to one of the 4 connections.

then connect another cable from the laptop to another port on the router.

go to your internet web browser be it firefox, internet explorer etc.

go to 192.168.1.254

Go into Expert Mode and select 'Configure' , then 'Connection'. Turn on bridging. Then 'Advanced' where the first item is the option to disable the DHCP server.

let me know if that works, i use the same setup as your trying to do now, and there are a few more things that might help.

probably best to send me a pm to get my attention quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The DSL will never be green as it isn't usilg DSL to connect to the internet. Proceed as above and report back

Cant seem to find where to disable DHCP is, all I can do is click what says "DHCP" and change the IP address and subnet adress I think it is. Here is what the modem menu looks like:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Cant seem to find where to disable DHCP is, all I can do is click what says "DHCP" and change the IP address and subnet adress I think it is. Here is what the modem menu looks like:

Look harder ;)

Under Configure, there should be something like 'Expert Mode'. Look in there.

I've searched everywhere in it pretty much and cant find anything! This is what comes up when I go into advanced mode and DHCP :
    neti.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Hard to tell but is there not a tickbox or dropdown menu there to disable DHCP? The screen would normally look like this

;6034073

No, I cant see one anyway! Did you have a picture or screenshot in your post there as I cant see it.

Oh its ok I got it after all! I had to enable WAN service! Cheers for the help lads.

Advertisement