Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballsbridge, Sandymount, Aviva Stadium areas

Options
  • 19-11-2010 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to move to this area. I'm thinking about Ballsbridge, Sandymount or Sidney Parade station/Landsdown Road station areas.

Which of those areas would you consider as safe or unsafe? All of them are close to dart which suits me and my girlfriend perfectly..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

All the areas you mentioned are safe. Sandymount village is pretty cool, be afraid of expensive coffe shops! If you don't have a car, Sydney Parade is handy for the Merrion Tesco. The biggest problem with these areas is that the houses and apartments are old. There are some nice apartments not far from the Clontarf DART station if you don't mind crossing the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

We both are working at the south, both places 5 mins walk from dart stations though. Are there any other supermarkets there except Merrion tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to move to this area. I'm thinking about Ballsbridge, Sandymount or Sidney Parade station/Landsdown Road station areas.

Which of those areas would you consider as safe or unsafe? All of them are close to dart which suits me and my girlfriend perfectly..

These are all pretty much the the most expensive areas in Dublin. You will be fine in any of them. They can be a bit quiet, not many shops/pubs/restaurants.

You are very close to the beach, which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

I am originally from wexford but have been living in sandymount for 5 years now. I wouldn't live anywhere else in dublin having lived in drumcondra and ballsbridge.

Sandymount is, in a sense a cul de sac which means very few people actually know how to get to it. It has great restaurants, browns and a new Indian - cant remember the name. Marios for cheaper italian food and itsa 4 for more expensive italian food also dunne and crescenzi which is nice for a chilled out glass of wine and some antipasto, borzas chipper, 2 coffee shops, a good enough tescos, extra vision, hardware store, off licence, book shop which to be fair isn't the best, dry cleaners, aib bank, corner shop, butchers, bike shop, few churches, vets, doctors, dentists, hair dressers, and even a cosmetic surgery. lol It has three pubs, all with great locals up for a bit of banter and never experienced an ounce of trouble in any of them. Ryans always has the match on.

There is a great mix of people in the village, young, old and in the middle super sense of community and most will do anything to help out. Yes its a little expensive but super safe.

Having the coast is an big big bonus, i live right on the strand - which can get very hairy this time of year - we've only just put away the sandbags, but the area is beautiful all year round, rain hail or snow, with some really nice walks to be had on the beach, in irishtown nature reserve or even all the way out to the end of the great south wall.

Good, reliable public transport, dart and 3 bus services, 2, 3 & 18. 10/15 minute walk from aviva, ballsbridge, bigger tesco at merrion, westwood gym and railway union - for a kick about, although the beach is also good for this.

Im sure im missing something really class about sandymount but i hope ive sold it all the same. Anything ya wanna know give me a shout.

Dom

• Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I agree with above, I live in Sandymount and its just a good allround place to live and there are a good selection of apartments, at a pinch you can walk into town, the IFSC is walkable 40min, apart from the Dart the buses are "ok" the No 18 is crap but the 2 or 3 are not bad but they will let you down from time to time. The main consideration I think should be convenience for work, so if you worked in town the "Aviva" area would be pretty sweet as well, but if you like your space, Sandymount cant be beat for walks and jogging and for having a "village vibe"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Had a viewing of an apartment yesterday at Ballsbridge. Just beside the US embassy. Red brick buildings.

Looks fine from outside but the inside was terrible. Haven't seen such a doggy place for months. Wholes in the doors and weird characters occupying other apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

Live in Sandymount 2 years now, on Merrion Road before that. Wouldn't live anywhere else now and it has helped me love Dublin, it's got pubs, restaurants, shops, the beach on your doorstep. After 11 during the week it's super quiet which is good and bad. The bus service sucks but if you are driving you can get into the city in 5 minutes as the roads seem to be only busy during rush hour. Got a mix of old and young people. I wouldn't say it's very expensive there, Brownes cafe/restaurant runs a 2 course and wine for €20 5 nights a week as an example.

What about Donnybrook?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Donnybrook and Ballsbridge are pretty similar, Ballsbridge is better served in terms of pubs and restaurants, and is much more convenient for the DART. Personally think Ballsbridge is one of the nicest places to live close to the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Make sure to have a very thourough viewing- I am renting in one of these areas and although the place looked ok on viewing, it is rapidly falling apart via leaks, poor insulation, damp, poorly executed renovations over the years and age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sherrybobbins

I lived in the Ballsbridge / Donnybrook area for some years, and they are really safe and a bit closer to the city than Sandymount / Sydney Parade if it's a consideration to be close to city nightlife etc. There are good deals to be had around Donnybrook if you keep an eye out, but yeah beware of places that are too old and run down. All those areas are nice to live though.

Advertisement