Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Leisure battery + Winter - how to look after?

• 19-11-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭

Looking for a little advice please folks.

We've a leisure battery in our caravan which has now been parked up for the next 3 months.

I'm wondering what people think is the best way to look after the leisure battery for this time period? Should I bring it into the house to keep it in a warmer temperature? Should I leave it in situ and give it a mains boost every so often? Should I switch on some circuts in the van every so often just to keep it working?

Any help or advice much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭tibia

Provided it does not get so cold that the electrolyte freezes (most unlikely), it is best left in situ. If I was you, I would run the mains charger for 24 hours to charge it fully then disconnect one of the leads from the battery.

The biggest enemy of lead-acid batteries is being left in a discharged state. If you disconnect the lead you can be sure there is no external load. It should be fine after 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

you could buy a small solar cell nothing to big just a watt or two like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223251 would do it would keep it topped up over the winter and stop the battery self discharging but it's low enough wattage that you don't need a regurlator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

tibia wrote: »
    Provided it does not get so cold that the electrolyte freezes (most unlikely), it is best left in situ. If I was you, I would run the mains charger for 24 hours to charge it fully then disconnect one of the leads from the battery.

The biggest enemy of lead-acid batteries is being left in a discharged state. If you disconnect the lead you can be sure there is no external load. It should be fine after 3 months.

Self discharge increases with temperature so its better to be out in the cold.

Elecrolyte freezing temperature is -23C when totally discharged and about -60c when fully charged. A good new lead acid may lose 50% charge in 4 months at 30C at our winter temperature it might only lose 30% in an entire year.

Self discharge increases with age and if allowed to go flat the battery will irreversibly sulfate so whereas a new batttery may be good for 3 months with no intervention an older battery may be scrap in a short time without a top up charge.

Those small solar panels are a placebo for people with good batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Is your 'van at home. Has it they type of inbuilt charger which can be left on to maintain the battery with a maintenance charge. Can you connect your 'van to the mains.
    If the answer to all the above is yes, why not plug in to the mains at home, ensure the charger is on and leave the battery in situ.
    My 'van is left permanently on hook-up at when at home and my batteries (probably six years since they left the factory now) are still in perfect condition, eg. will last over four days when off hook-up and well over a week if tv/sat box not in use.

Advertisement