Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of help needed - slightly urgent!

• 19-11-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Having a bit of trouble with the below image and the yellow band down the side. Have been trying for ages to get it out but just can't manage it.

Wondering if the good people of Boards would have a go at it? As I mentioned in the title, it's slightly urgent as I need it for a book that's a present to be given pretty soon!

The other stuff (general repairs etc) are fine but go as far as you want :)

Appreciate any help and/or feedback

If you go into the album, there is an upload button for people to stick any files they may have in relation to this :)

Thanks a mil

web.jpg?ver=12901967650001

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I know you didn't ask for Black & white, , but I had a go, it is very tough to get rid, but I think it works well in B&W. You get away with a bit more push and pull on the sliders not having to worry too much on the colours. You didn't post the full size image so I just had a go on the size you've posted.

yellowphotoissue2.jpg
    By cagey75 at 2010-11-19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Really appreciate that! B&W does work well! Rhys the biggest size I have of it, it's only going to be printed about 3"x3" so it should be ok.

The B&W looks well, any other attempts are welcome, colour or not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

heres a B&W with the line fixed a bit.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    heres a B&W with the line fixed a bit.

Forgive me, where?

135580.jpgforgot to add pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

135582.jpg

Really appreciate this! Would be interested to know what people did as I just couldn't get it! And you his seem to have been able to do it pretty quick!!

Love the helpful attitude of boardsies :)

I used Lightroom3, desaturated all colours individually in the HSL panel [this way you can still control the luminance of each, unlike if you simply go greyscale or fully desaturate the whole image] - used the adjustment brush set to -0.59 [if I can remember correctly, it was a quick job as I thought this was a downsized version] and tamed the over-exposed strip down a bit. Problem in colour is that the strip is not only yellow, but a lot of orange in there too, and the face/skin tone also contains a lo of orange.

I bumped the contrast, black levels and upped the exposure on her face, again using the adjustment brush [my favourite tool across all PP pograms]

A few other minor tweaks, nothing major.

A little more work in CS5, just curves and a high pass layer, also gave the antique photo look a shot:

highpassbw.jpg
    By cagey75 at 2010-11-19

This almost doubled the file size:

yellowphotoissue4.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see, I went for a much more high contrast look, simply because I think it suits old photos, than the other guys. Depends what you like personally really.

I just converted to black and white and burned in the yellow part...so it was evenly exposed.

EDIT: used Photoshop CS2 (I own CS5 but havent taken it out of the packaging yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

Here's another quick effort.....

135607.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Kind of looks good with the light leak

anyway heres an attempt
    135612.jpg

thumb.jpg

Thanks people! I'm going to go with PC's and sheesh's, both colour and B&W should make an appearance I think, they'll both get used somewhere! Cagey, I love the older look, they're being saved as well :)

Thanks to everyone else, really appreciate the efforts and they are all much better than any of my attempts!

Edit: sorry to say sheesh, on closer inspection the cloning by her left arm is pretty obvious :( IamBlip wins :p if there could be a winner that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Haha great thread!

I'm wondering, I know there is a dedicated photoshop competition thread, but what about a practical one, where something like this is put up and everyone has a go at fixing it and the mods decide a winner?
    Maybe then at the end of it, people could post what they did so others could learn from it as well??

Mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

IamBlip wrote: »
    Here's another quick effort.....
    Why does everyone only do quick efforts? ;)

it was friday night we were all rushing out the door to the pub! :)

Why does everyone only do quick efforts? ;)

I just wanted to be first :D let everyone copy me then ... :P

alexlyons wrote: »
    Really appreciate this! Would be interested to know what people did as I just couldn't get it! And you his seem to have been able to do it pretty quick!!

Love the helpful attitude of boardsies :)

I selected the light streak going through the girl, not all of it, leaving a gap near the edges as the most consistant discoloration was in the middle I used color balance to lower the level of the yellows then played around with the hue to try and match it up reducing the saturation so that it appears less yellow.

that didn't work. I needed to go to the pub so I recreated parts of the elbow, hair, hedge and clouds with clone and healing tool

alexlyons wrote: »
    Thanks people! I'm going to go with PC's and sheesh's, both colour and B&W should make an appearance I think, they'll both get used somewhere! Cagey, I love the older look, they're being saved as well :)

Thanks to everyone else, really appreciate the efforts and they are all much better than any of my attempts!

Edit: sorry to say sheesh, on closer inspection the cloning by her left arm is pretty obvious :( IamBlip wins :p if there could be a winner that is!

oh yeah, I know, it was a real hatchet job you said you wanted quick :). it would take time to do a proper job.

also there are 3 slightly suspiciously similar set of leaves in the top of the hedge too. it obviously passes a cursory glance :).

• Advertisement

sheesh wrote: »
    it was friday night we were all rushing out the door to the pub! :)

realistically you were all about to get stuck into the late late :eek: :P
    sheesh wrote: »
    oh yeah, I know, it was a real hatchet job you said you wanted quick :). it would take time to do a proper job.

also there are 3 slightly suspiciously similar set of leaves in the top of the hedge too. it obviously passes a cursory glance :).

better than any of my attempts though!!

If you'd said you liked flat and non-contrasty I'd have done it differently :P

Advertisement