Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency French/Floor polisher needed tonight - Help!

• 19-11-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭

Was moving a sofa across the floor of my rented apartment and didn't realise a screw had come partially loose from one its legs. The result was a tasty, reasonably deep scratch in the floor! (about a foot long). The floor is light coloured - kind of beech colour. The Place is being inspected tomorrow as I'm moving out so I stupidly decided to take matters into my own hands. I bought light sandable filler. Carefully filled it and after it dried, I sanded it flush, or thereabouts. I didn't chance staining it so tried some "scratch" cover for "light furniture" (it's got waxes with a few colours in it). It improved it slightly, but the filled area is still noticeably lighter than its surroundings.
    Is there any 24 hour floor or french polisher I can phone in the Dublin area (I'm south city) to come out and attempt to "blend it in"?

Really upset here so hoping some boardsie can help! I don't mind shelling out a little if it's a reasonable disguise job.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

leave it... It wont be covered in time

Can you put a rug on it...

Or better still. Leave a couple of moving out bags on it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Well I just bought myself some time. Phoned the landlord and agreed tomorrow night rather than tomorrow morn. Anyone recommend a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Wax, I used to fit kitchens and that is what you use to cover blemishes, it works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

colored

Thanks guys, trying to calm down here. Here's a photo of it if any professional on here thinks they can blend it, I have cash waiting (within reason!) or should I try the wax? If so, where would I get some?

Thanks again
    scratch.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

tbh, if its the landlords furniture that the screw came loose in which caused the damage, then you should be able to attribute this to normal wear and tear on the property. You shouldn't lose you're deposit for this.

Thanks again for all the advice and comments. Sorted it DIY-style this morning. "Antique Pine" Satin finish varnish - beautiful blended disguise after 2 coats a light sand. Phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Compudaro wrote: »
    Thanks again for all the advice and comments. Sorted it DIY-style this morning. "Antique Pine" Satin finish varnish - beautiful blended disguise after 2 coats a light sand. Phew!

Cool. Now make sure you mask the smell of the varnish. Landlords know that "fix" smell. A plug in air freshner shoud do it. Bring it with you :)

Any chance of pictures

Air freshner doing its job nicely - great advice! Will try to get pics up (if I have time this eve!) Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Wasn't there a golden pages ad year's ago where they were looking for a french polisher asap after a party?:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement