Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find a landlord?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 10:07pm

Hello folks!

We rent a very nice property which we are keen to keep renting, but we have a problem. The agent we deal with is not terribly good at his job (I'm not going to use this thread to whinge though). We would like to be able to locate and contact the landlord directly to explain that we would like to keep renting this property for years to come, in a few weeks when the lease is up, but we do not wish to deal with the same agent again. We have been let down over and over and there is a lot needs doing with the house. We have googled the agent repeatedly and all we have are a mobile number and email address. We do contact him with issues but nothing ever gets done.

Wondering if any of you know how to trace a landlord, we have no idea where he lives, simply his name and that he owns this house and the house next door.

We also have the option of withholding the rent, which will make the agent come running. We don't like to take this option though, since we would like to renew the lease in a few weeks, and don't want to give the landlord any reason to see us as troublesome tenants.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

can you put an ad on Daft?

"owner sought for this property"

Doesn't cost much, & would get a response from the agent!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Assuming the property is registered with the PRTB, that may be a suitable avenue. Phone them, explain the agent is uncooperative and that you wish to contact the landlord. They won't give out details will-nilly, but will give them out in appropriate situations.

www.prtb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Victor,

The tenant is entitled to know the identity of the landlord, no? I think PRTB will give this easily enough.

If you have just completed a one year lease, there is no particular requirement to sign a new lease in order to remain on as a tenant.

Thanks everyone, I will try explaining our case the the PRTB. Want to keep withholding rent as a very last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

By law you should have a rent book or other written agreement on which the full name and address of the landlord is recorded. I think the landlord can even be fined for not supplying it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement