Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Chinese

Options
  • 19-11-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but perhaps someone can advise me..

My OH and I got a chinese take-away this evening, included in our order was vegetarian spring rolls.. anyway as soon as I took a bite I nearly got sick, it tasted sour? and on inspection it smelled sour.

This would not be the first time that this has happened, but there is only 2 take-aways in the area so we decided to give it another chance.

My OH called and they didn't seem too concerned but eventually offered a refund which we declined.

I am just wondering who can you report these to?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You can make a complaint here

http://www.fsai.ie/

Question though, why didn't ye take the refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Boggles wrote: »
    You can make a complaint here

http://www.fsai.ie/

Question though, why didn't ye take the refund?

Thanks for link.

We didn't take the refund because it our opinion its just not good enough. This food was gone off, they were not bothered in the least, and as I said they eventually offered a refund. If someone ate it without noticing I'd be very surprised if they were not very sick afterwards.

I really think these sort of places should be help accountable for selling gone off/sour food, don't you?

m'lady wrote: »
    Thanks for link.

We didn't take the refund because it our opinion its just not good enough. This food was gone off, they were not bothered in the least, and as I said they eventually offered a refund. If someone ate it without noticing I'd be very surprised if they were not very sick afterwards.

I really think these sort of places should be help accountable for selling gone off/sour food, don't you?

Of course, but getting a refund from them doesn't waive your right to complain to The Food Safety Authority.

Of course, but getting a refund from them doesn't waive your right to complain to The Food Safety Authority.

I know, but it really wasn't about the money. I was just so annoyed with their attitude, and they were by no means apologetic..

Do you knew whether we should hold onto the food in question??

I know, but it really wasn't about the money. I was just so annoyed with their attitude, and they were by no means apologetic..

Well to be fair to them, they have not really broken any consumer laws.

You were unhappy with the level of product you received, they offered redress in a full refund. You declined.
    Do you knew whether we should hold onto the food in question??

My opinion on it would be neither of ye are sick, so you don't really have a case.

As for hanging onto the food, maybe, but it is Friday and god knows when a HSE rep would get to you.

• Advertisement

Well to be fair to them, they have not really broken any consumer laws.

You were unhappy with the level of product you received, they offered redress in a full refund. You declined.

Now in fairness its not like I'm saying they gave me the wrong food or they over priced me, the food was gone off!

Are you trying to tell me that restaurants can sell gone off food and they are not breaking any laws...I dont think so. I'm really not normally a complainer, but like I have said it is not the first time, and probably won't be their last, and I want to report it.
    Thanks for your help.

Now in fairness its not like I'm saying they gave me the wrong food or they over priced me, the food was gone off!

I'm only playing devils advocate so don't think I'm defending the restaurant.

As consumer issues go, you were unhappy with the product, a full refund was offered, you declined.

They have broken no consumer law.

Agreed?
    Are you trying to tell me that restaurants can sell gone off food and they are not breaking any laws....

Of course they can't and that is why there are agencies setup in order for you to report "dodgy" purveyors of food.

But in reality that is as far as you can go with it.

AFAIK you could take a civil action against them if one of ye were to become sick, but since ye didn't consume the food, that is unlikely.

My 2 cents, you should have taken your refund, because it's worth more than any apology, reported them and then vote with your feet by never going back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Food & Drink

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

My OH and I got a chinese take-away this evening, included in our order was vegetarian spring rolls.. anyway as soon as I took a bite I nearly got sick, it tasted sour? and on inspection it smelled sour.

Do you know what the vegetable was, some are sour and smell terrible, much like blue cheese, there may have nothing wrong only it included something your not used to. Some chillies and onions can be pungent. Good for you in small doses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Did you freeze the springrolls? Standard procedure is for you to contact the FSAI/local EHO. They should have told you to freeze the product so it can be sent for micro analysis and they will collect. Following your formal complaint the EHO will pay a visit to the restaurant. With repeat visits and a potential closure order if they find problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes as poster above said. The EHO will investigate. Put the item in a freezer bag on its own and freeze it asap. They will usually collect it within the week and get back to you within 5 weeks.

They may not give you alot of details especially if the visit to the premises is not a successbut atleast you will know something it will be looked into.

Advertisement