Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"B" Is for Big Mac

• 19-11-2010 10:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Im not overly politically correct or precious about my kids but today Im kinda angry!!!
    I arrived to pick up my 5 year old from Jnr Infants to find kids ranging from Jnr Infants up to sixth class or in other words the entire school in the hall being entertained by Ronald McDonald and being given vouchers and plastic burgers:eek:.
    I am yet to have a chat with the parents committee but I know that my kids teacher was a bit shocked by this. Im not the only parent unimpressed.
    This seems wrong on so many levels.
    If for instance this was for the local fruit stall it is still basically taking up school time for a live advert!
    The school is really hot on healthy lunches and yet... well... we have a promo for junk food pitched at infants
    The school is very keen on its green status and yet....... well... we have one of the most environmentally and ethically dodgy internationals in the school doing a promo to infants.
    Had they just brought in a clown or childrens entertainer and given the kids a few free classes I wouldnt give a dam but this was a promo for a fast food joint with a bit of juggling thrown in.
    Thoughts please!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Very very strange? Can't understand it at all! I teach in a health promoting school, but even besides this I can't imagine allowing any fast food company to come in and talk/entertain the kids. I can't actually see any company being allowed to come in and advertise like this at all, that includes educational book companies. The only time I can think of anything commercial we've had has been a book fair, which was organised by the Parents' Association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was in primary school when Cheese Strings were launched and a rep visited the school and gave us all samples. I actually thought that was pretty bad, but for a rep from McDonalds to visit seems so wrong.

Does the school promote healthy eating in any way?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Wouldn't be allowed in our school,though McDonalds sponsored sports bibs and balls nationwide a few years back. We took equipment, but no mention to children where it came from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Thanks all.
    Whats so hard to understand is this is a very good, very progressive school, it promotes healthy food and the principal really has his head screwed on. Im guessing it was just an over sight or some such.... HOWEVER!! The manager of the local McD's lives in the area (it a big rural school) and he is all over the town like a rash. Sponsors anything he can sponsor, etc. I'd hate to think he is worming his way into some involvement with the schools in the area.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

That goes someway towards explaining it (not excusing it though!). I wonder did he say he'd sponsor something big for the school in return for that little demonstration?

• Advertisement
Advertisement