Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docklands Restaurant

• 19-11-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hola All.....

Went down to give this place a go after seeing the advert in the Post (it does work) !!!!

Anyways went down, the outside of the place is a little dark and was a wet night but obviously thats down to the man with the real powers, no not the IMF, GOD!!!!

Parked the jeep, guy paid for our ticket so did as said in add.

Went in, half open kitchen from the front bar style counter, kind of take away setup to the front RHS but nice.

Went into the LHS where more dinnery and had a seat, was quiet but place nice, and some nice pics of the area on the walls lit from behind.

Got chattin to the guy front of house, turns out he and the chef and other friend have the lease and took the place over.

I asked what kind of business plan they'd put together before taking it on, funny look.com!!!!

"Cheap rent and all sounded like a good idea a few weeks ago, we've our own meat and our own labour as our own time" He's a butcher from Tipp

Very chatty guy, extremely pleasnat and helpful, nothing a problem and was full of info on how they put the place together and how things were going.

Bottle of white and some tap water. The water comes in flip top bottle which is chilled which is nice.

Got the terrine for starter, well nice, lovely bread which they make themselves......

Herself had lamb and i'd a sirlion 10oz.....

Food came out in good time, presented very well, got hand cut chips like it said on the menu which is rarely the case.

Steak was a bit over done but no biggy at all, said it for there own sake and new steak was offered which declined.

Deserts are all homemade aswell, brownie and merrange (forgive spelling)

Asked for lots of ice cream but only got one scopp, think the chef might have been trying to keep it fancy, got some extra after!!!

All in all a really nice place, a little quiet at the mo i'd say due to location and time of year.

They have a take away menu, went in again yesterday, got 1/4 punder burger for the boss and 1/2 pounder me fein, again the hand cut chips and must say the burger is the nicest I've had in a long long time......

Place is definately worth a visit but would need to bear in mind just open, doing a lot of the stuff themselves.

Definately 10/10 for effort, food and service and front of house Patrick, best entertainmant you'll get thrown in at a good value meal.

Hope everyone has the same if there down there.

Best of luck Docklands

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The area has so much potential in the summer. Imagine him having tables along the decking across the way and the French table further down as well.

Lads 1/4 chips and side salad for €4.95 is a no brainer. Steaks for €10.

His meat is farm to fork. His family farm, his family butcher and his kitchen to cook it. How bad.

Another business owner yesterday tried to argue the implications of those prices and his margins to me as well but big things have to start small.

Another business owner made a snide remark about his "decor" and I felt like remarking about this business owners like of customers.

It was fairly busy today around 2:30pm when I was in there. He is such a nice guy I wish him every luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Did not know that they did takeaway as well. Must give them a try soon.

Hope it takes off for them though, starting a business at the best of times can be tough, and in the current climate it is harder than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pooh-bah

Hey,
    Where's this now? Sounds nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Sounds yum xactly where is it? Is the Docklands down by the Clarion?

Pooh-bah wrote: »
    Hey,
    Where's this now? Sounds nice!
    kiersm wrote: »
    Sounds yum xactly where is it? Is the Docklands down by the Clarion?

Its adjacent to the Clarion. Blue awning.

The guys from the Ambulance service were stocking up on takeaway today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pooh-bah

Oh I know the area! And would it suit a student budget? Being a foodie has it's expenses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

sounds nice. How much is a quarter pounder to take away, for example?

pwd wrote: »
    sounds nice. How much is a quarter pounder to take away, for example?

Dont know about Takeaway prices but a 1/4 pounder is €4.50 or €4.95 to eat in anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Will defo go down there for a look. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Will be amazed if this place can stay going. Got another lovely burger there tonight but doesn't ever seem to be busy. Check it out while ye can because it's the best value you're likely to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's a decent enough place ok, I was there a few days before Christmas, they hadn't everything that was on the menu as he was reducing stock for Christmas but other than that they give good value, my wife ordered a galss of red wine, the bottle was about a glass and half left in it and after pouring her glass he left the her the rest, not many other places would do the same.

There was only about 7 customers that night so he's going to find it hard to stay open with those numbers.

BTW, he doesnt or at least didn't do credit card payments which could cause some bother at the end of a nice meal.

I doubt myself he will stay open very long. He was struggling just before Christmas and other restaurants haven't got any busier. Let's hope the Clarion gets busy soon and he gets some business from it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hmmm. How about another meet-up? The last one in Hamptons went very well, so a little get together in the Docklads should be grand.

All in favour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

It has its website advertising a 10oz sirloin steak with wine/beer/soft drink at 11.95.
    a two course meal with tea/coffee is 12.95
    These are great prices and good luck to the lads, we will def' go down there.
    www.docklandssteakhouse.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Berty wrote: »
    I doubt myself he will stay open very long. He was struggling just before Christmas and other restaurants haven't got any busier. Let's hope the Clarion gets busy soon and he gets some business from it.

It's in an awful location, imo. If it was down near Nancies or near the Locke, or even beside Milano's, he'd be doing a lot better because the prices are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

im in for a nights grub, maybe pre a gig or trad night in dolans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

zuroph wrote: »
    im in for a nights grub, maybe pre a gig or trad night in dolans?

Sounds good to me.

Advertisement