Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from sex & sexuality

Options
  • 19-11-2010 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Hi Admins,

A quick chronology of events. *

I have received 2 pms,1 telling me that it is to be recommended that i be banned from the named forum.
    The other pm was to confirm my banning,this despite not even posting in the forum,I did post a pm,making reference to a sexual Act (name witheld)engaged in a public place,telling him more or less that he had his priorities mixed up and that i found it difficult to accept the infraction from someone who committed such an act in public.

Its a this stage,i was contacted by another Mod,who made reference to the sexual act and the PM i had sent.i sent a reply letting this Mod know ,my Pms were none of his business,words to this effect.But the pm ended with a recommendation for me to be banned from the s&s forum.

the 3rd different Mod to contact me just sent me notification saying i was banned From s&s.

If i can give a full and frank account of the way i see this,so there is nobody confused or picking up anybody wrong,and God knows one could be forgiven for getting confused so many posters posters are involved in this,i would like to be able to give my side of the story before Admins make a decision and clear up any misunderstanding and everyone can move on.

thanks.

this is not a full account of events.*

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

From having seen the PM you sent as it was reported, I believe that the second PM sent to you recommending that you be banned from S&S was from Beruthiel. As she is an admin on this site, reported PMs are very much her business. Feel free to correct me if my assumption is wrong.

Regardless of that, the facts of this case are that you had an issue with an infraction you were given which you argued by PM. Now at this stage you had two options open to you: 1) you could have continued to politely argue your case by PM with the mod, or a CMod if you felt it was needed; or 2) post a thread in this forum asking that the infraction be reviewed.

Instead you chose to go for option 3 - you trawled through the mod's posts looking for something to throw back at him in support of your argument. Not finding anything, you resorted to digging up something completely irrelevant and unrelated from a private forum to use against the mod. What the mod did in a public place is no business of yours and has absolutely no bearing on whether or not they are a capable moderator on this site. Furthermore, you appear to think that being a subscriber here gives you special privileges. Let me tell you that it does not. It certainly doesn't allow you to take information gathered from a private forum that you have access to by virtue of being a subscriber and use this information in the manner you did. In my opinion you should consider yourself very lucky that you only got a ban from that forum. If I find that you have used the information in your PM anywhere on a public forum on this site you will be immediately and permanently sitebanned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Now Zaph....... this is the type of post and misreading of events im hoping to clear up with Whoever is dealing with the issue.Is it yourself?are you the appointed Admin to this?Because if your not,im not quiet sure why you are posting on here,is there anything going to be resolved by You giving your opinion despite not knowing the Full Facts and hearing my side.
    On the otherhand,if you are dealing with case then i feel its a case of may god have mercy on me:D as judging by your post i have already been tried,hung and quartered!

Did you see that i withheld the Mods name in question in my post?

"If I find that you have used the information in your PM anywhere on a public forum on this site you will be immediately and permanently sitebanned"

Seriously Zaph relax........,While some on Boards may admire your defending moderators and getting stuck in the deep end by threatening bans on users who step out of line,it might be the wise thing to just take a step back and ask a few questions without giving your opinion or by not adding up 2+2 so to speak.
    why would i want to pm someone what name witheld in the s&s get up to? So far,the only person passing on my private messages,that contained any reference to the s&s forum is "you know who"

Im not going to respond to the rest of your post about privilages as i will only end up repeating myself to the person,persons who are dealing with this,but your wrong Zaph.

I do hope that my previous 460 posts can be looked at and my contribution to Boards.ie through them when a decision is arrived at.

Now Zaph....... this is the type of post and misreading of events im hoping to clear up with Whoever is dealing with the issue.Is it yourself?are you the appointed Admin to this?Because if your not,im not quiet sure why you are posting on here,is there anything going to be resolved by You giving your opinion despite not knowing the Full Facts and hearing my side.

I'm dealing with this issue, I wouldn't have posted here otherwise.
    On the otherhand,if you are dealing with case then i feel its a case of may god have mercy on me:D as judging by your post i have already been tried,hung and quartered!

OK, so setting aside my previous post for a minute, give me one good reason why you felt it was necessary to include the information you did in that PM. How exactly did you feel that this was relevant to a person's ability to moderate?
    Did you see that i withheld the Mods name in question in my post?

I did, and I would have expected nothing less given that the information was posted in a private forum.
    "If I find that you have used the information in your PM anywhere on a public forum on this site you will be immediately and permanently sitebanned"

Seriously Zaph relax........,While some on Boards may admire your defending moderators and getting stuck in the deep end by threatening bans on users who step out of line,it might be the wise thing to just take a step back and ask a few questions without giving your opinion or by not adding up 2+2 so to speak.

I needed to impress upon you just how seriously we take information from private forums being posted in the public domain. Maybe you didn't need to be told this, but without knowing whether or this was the case, it was important to spell it out.
    why would i want to pm someone what name witheld in the s&s get up to? So far,the only person passing on my private messages,that contained any reference to the s&s forum is "you know who"

No, that person didn't "pass on" your PM, they reported it to the admins. Surely you must have realised that they were likely to do that before you sent it?
    Im not going to respond to the rest of your post about privilages as i will only end up repeating myself to the person,persons who are dealing with this,but your wrong Zaph.

I'm the person looking after this, and if I made an incorrect assumption then I apologise. However your PM contained the following line:
    i have the very same person threatening to ban me,a paid up subscriber and someone who has contributed financially to Adverts.ie

I've bolded the relevant part above. We've had people in the past holding the mistaken belief that being a subscriber somehow grants them immunity from punishment should they step out of line, and that's exactly how your PM reads.
    I do hope that my previous 460 posts can be looked at and my contribution to Boards.ie through them when a decision is arrived at.

All subscribers have access to the S&S forum as one of the perks we give to thank them for their contribution. However, given the sensitive nature of the forum we expect that they can be trusted not to abuse the privilege. You used information gleaned from that forum to support an argument that it had no bearing on whatsoever, and in doing so breached the aforementioned trust. It's a forum where people need to know that what they say will not go any further than the forum itself, and so we operate a zero tolerance policy for anyone who fails to adhere to this. If, as I asked previously, you can give me a single good reason why you thought that this information had any bearing on a mod's ability to adjudicate on an issue in a completely unrelated forum, then I will discuss the possibility of reducing your ban from permanent with the other admins. However, at present, I see no good reason to overturn this ruling.

Zaph wrote: »
    From having seen the PM you sent as it was reported, I believe that the second PM sent to you recommending that you be banned from S&S was from Beruthiel. As she is an admin on this site, reported PMs are very much her business. Feel free to correct me if my assumption is wrong.

Regardless of that, the facts of this case are that you had an issue with an infraction you were given which you argued by PM. Now at this stage you had two options open to you: 1) you could have continued to politely argue your case by PM with the mod, or a CMod if you felt it was needed; or 2) post a thread in this forum asking that the infraction be reviewed.

Instead you chose to go for option 3 - you trawled through the mod's posts looking for something to throw back at him in support of your argument. Not finding anything, you resorted to digging up something completely irrelevant and unrelated from a private forum to use against the mod. What the mod did in a public place is no business of yours and has absolutely no bearing on whether or not they are a capable moderator on this site. Furthermore, you appear to think that being a subscriber here gives you special privileges. Let me tell you that it does not. It certainly doesn't allow you to take information gathered from a private forum that you have access to by virtue of being a subscriber and use this information in the manner you did. In my opinion you should consider yourself very lucky that you only got a ban from that forum. If I find that you have used the information in your PM anywhere on a public forum on this site you will be immediately and permanently sitebanned.
    Zaph wrote: »
    I'm dealing with this issue, I wouldn't have posted here otherwise.

OK, so setting aside my previous post for a minute, give me one good reason why you felt it was necessary to include the information you did in that PM. How exactly did you feel that this was relevant to a person's ability to moderate?

I did, and I would have expected nothing less given that the information was posted in a private forum.

I needed to impress upon you just how seriously we take information from private forums being posted in the public domain. Maybe you didn't need to be told this, but without knowing whether or this was the case, it was important to spell it out.

No, that person didn't "pass on" your PM, they reported it to the admins. Surely you must have realised that they were likely to do that before you sent it?

I'm the person looking after this, and if I made an incorrect assumption then I apologise. However your PM contained the following line:

I've bolded the relevant part above. We've had people in the past holding the mistaken belief that being a subscriber somehow grants them immunity from punishment should they step out of line, and that's exactly how your PM reads.

All subscribers have access to the S&S forum as one of the perks we give to thank them for their contribution. However, given the sensitive nature of the forum we expect that they can be trusted not to abuse the privilege. You used information gleaned from that forum to support an argument that it had no bearing on whatsoever, and in doing so breached the aforementioned trust. It's a forum where people need to know that what they say will not go any further than the forum itself, and so we operate a zero tolerance policy for anyone who fails to adhere to this. If, as I asked previously, you can give me a single good reason why you thought that this information had any bearing on a mod's ability to adjudicate on an issue in a completely unrelated forum, then I will discuss the possibility of reducing your ban from permanent with the other admins. However, at present, I see no good reason to overturn this ruling.
    Thank God the weekend arrived when it did,it gave me some time to think over your posts,the Private messages sent to me,my posts,the private messages i sent and my The overall stance im taking on this matter.

All this started out of Me getting a rap on the knuckles for a comment i left a poster,i wasnt bieng abusive,i was bieng clever to what looked to be a smart arse comment.I was bieng flippant was the term used, It was mentioned in some message to me that it was obvious what the poster was trying to say......... Really:confused: and what was the Moderator basing this on?It was the posters 1st post,thats if you believe it was This persons 1st time posting on Boards.ie
    Just to clear up what i mean by this is,I belive there are a high volume of double posters contributing on this forum.

After getting a pm flash up for me,my immediate thoughts were,Ah FFs,this is very harsh and ridiculous.I then thought,who the heck is this Guy rapping my knuckles,i have never seen him contribute anything to the forum,I had never seen him anyway,so i clicked on his statistics,read previous posts and His first number of posts were to reveal nothing of him just someone,a moderator,who had moved posts around but i flicked on a few more pages to see what discussions this guy had got involved in and the only remarkable one i found was the one in the S&S.
    So it wasn't anything clever or anything being a non subscriber couldn't do to find out more about A poster on Boards.ie.
    My thoughts then turned to,How can someone who has behaved like he Did in public,Boast about it on then Internet,on A forum where he has the privilege of being a moderator who then raps me for being flippant to someone i believe is posting under another username:confused: It just doesn't make any sense at all,Anyway i messaged the Guy in question telling him,in words similar to this but this is the jest of what i said. i told him i would not be lectured to by him after what he wrote in the s&s forum,he was a hypocrite and a deviant in my eyes and i had no respect for His Decision.Well as far as i could see,this was someone who had rapped me on a forum he contributed nothing to.(now,the person in question may and probably has contributed way,way more than i know,but in my time i have never seen him contribute a single comment of note on the forum,so right from the off this guy irked me) Hell, he didnt even leave a suggestion for the poster after rapping me!:rolleyes: and just to put the tin hat on the comment,Its ok for another poster to bait me on the question and not check them?:cool: i dont know,i just dont know:(
    Now,as regards me being banned from the s&s forum,i was banned for breaking someones trust.
    I still maintain i didnt break anyones trust.I private messaged a reply that contained a reference to a post this guy had made on Boards.i didnt share the information with any other user on boards.ie
    it is for this reason i should not be banned from s&s And the Gods honest truth of the matter is,it is no Big deal to me being banned as i never posted in the forum,saw nothing that would make me want to post in there,i have only ever glimpsed at the forum 2/3 maybe even 4 times to see what was being discussed and left it at that.It was the whole principle of being banned that i was appealing.

Can i just mention the subscribing thing,i subscribed to boards for personal reasons,not to peep at the s+s forum(i wasnt even aware of such a forum even existed when i subscribed) or to join up to any other group,im happy enough trawling through the motors,the gaa,the sport,the travel and up to the other day the Clare forum,of which i will now refrain from posting in.I felt it necessary to mention to the mod that i was a contributer in monetary terms to boards and 1 flick through my previous posts would show someone who has made a small contribution to the forum and had thanked dozens of posts,i would have come to the conclusion this poster was fairly ok most of the time and doesnt come to the attention of the moderators too often,therefore perhaps an edit might be in order rather than the threat of a ban ie an infraction but it is how it is for now.:cool:

I will leave it at that for now,Ive said enough and am probably repeating myself and going around in circles.
    I'll leave this with you and will probably take a break from boards as i dont want to end up having to deal with this kind of crap again.

I'm going to leave this open for another 24 hours in case there's anything else you wish to add. If not, I'm going to close it and mark it as resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So it wasn't anything clever or anything being a non subscriber couldn't do to find out more about A poster on Boards.ie.

A non subscriber would not be able to see the posts in S&S.

You went looking for something to hold over the poster in question and to undermine their position on boards.ie and have tired to used the S&S forum to do that. You will never get access to the S&S forum again Subscriber or not.

Now,as regards me being banned from the s&s forum,i was banned for breaking someones trust.
    I still maintain i didnt break anyones trust.I private messaged a reply that contained a reference to a post this guy had made on Boards.i didnt share the information with any other user on boards.ie
    it is for this reason i should not be banned from s&s And the Gods honest truth of the matter is,it is no Big deal to me being banned as i never posted in the forum,saw nothing that would make me want to post in there,i have only ever glimpsed at the forum 2/3 maybe even 4 times to see what was being discussed and left it at that.It was the whole principle of being banned that i was appealing.

It is indeed the principle of the matter, you tried to use something someone posted in there against them, that is an instant permaban.
    I felt it necessary to mention to the mod that i was a contributer in monetary terms to boards

Frankly given your conduct I am surprised you didn't have your subscription refunded and your account closed as DeVore said would happen to people who get a ban or infraction and then try to use the fact they have subscribed as leverage.

I consider your actions to be despicable and the fact you think your actions are not out of order to be ignoble and so the ban from the Sex&Sexuality forum is to be upheld as far as I am concerned.

Has one of the Admins something to tell me?

Such as?

Advertisement