Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending NTL cable

Options
  • 19-11-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

What do people recommend for extending an NTL cable from one side of the room too the other? Would satellite RG59 be ok? Where sells it by the metre around Dublin that isn't a rip off? (eg not maplin)

DD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I had a bit of that rg type cable but gave it away a few weeks ago. How much do you need? Fella i gave it to has some left id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Just need about 25 feet. Called into the mothers house on the way home this evening and shes decided to swap the living room around! *sigh*

I`ve to go to blanch tomorrow to collect the young lad so i could get a bit off that fella if you were anywhere near there, assuming he has some left

Thanks for the offer of the rg cable, Only if he has some left over. I'm very close to blanch actually, just not fully sure of my plans in the morning.

I'll pm you my number, drop me a txt if there's any left...

yea i will text ye tomorow either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

you need some rg-6 or sat-100. to join them together all you need is 2 f-type plugs and a coupler. rg-59 is mostly used for data and comms cause its a 50ohmn cable. tv/sat cable is 75 ohmn so even for the sake of getting the connectors to fit propperly its worth gettin the rg-6.
    ps if your stuck for some ive a few open coils left over from a recent job ye can have.

Yea its sat cable we have, so you can have whats left on the drum anyway, it should do the job.

I think rg-59 is 75 ohm but its a small diameter co-ax is`t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

my understanding of rg-59, comming from the perspective of a radio hobbiest is that it is 50 ohmn and is only suitable for basic video signals such as that used in cctv and short runs on small low power antennas.
    it does'nt have the nesecery bandwidth to cope with modern digital signals, aswell as being only suitable for data type connections ie, bnc and so239 it has a diameter that is too small for f-type and rf connectors.
    both are foam insulated and come with various ammounts of screening depending on their application and how much you want to spend.
    from the perspective of a wholesaler, if i was to give one, instead of the other out to a sparks...id be shot :D

Hi all,

Sorry dont know where I got the rg59 from.

Got sorted any way thanks to Robbie!

• Advertisement
Advertisement