Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question about crash?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

A truck driver crashed into the side of my car. The full length of the passenger side is dented and both doors wont open. Its an auld 95 carina that i paid 500 euro 2 weeks ago.They left the details of their company and I got through to the boss. He said all he can do is ring his insurance company on monday. I rang the garda and they said he shouldnt have left the scene and that if i was pleased he was genuine just ring him monday and if there was any trouble then contact them. The damage would easily cost 1000 euro which is more than the value of the car.
    My question is what options I will have.As two of the car doors cant open can i ask for a replacement till its fixed or written off. can i chose which garage repairs the car, can i choose to have the car written off because of its value or I am I at the mercy of the insurance company. Whats the likely outcome?.any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If there was nobody there at the scene then I suppose he driver should have phoned the Gardai but at least he left his details so you can't complain too much.

It's obvious that you're dealing with a write-off situation since you appear to be pretty sure that it will cost more to repair than the car is worth, you do not have the absolute right to demand that it gets fixed so I'd forget about nominating who gets to fix it because the insurance company are allowed to max. out their liability at the current market value of the car.

The insurance company will offer you what they consider to be the fair market value of the car, the fact that you bought it very recently should help you convince them that what you paid was a fair price so consider yourself lucky if you get 500 from them. Hold off on your own valuation, see what they offer you and if it's more than 500 take it, otherwise you can start haggling.

In all probability the boss of the company that owns the truck will write the cheque, that's what I'd do if it had been my car smash into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

His insurance company will most likely write the car off and pay you 500euro to get another carina.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 eggsnail

coylemj wrote: »
    If there was nobody there at the scene then I suppose he driver should have phoned the Gardai but at least he left his details so you can't complain too much.

It's obvious that you're dealing with a write-off situation since you appear to be pretty sure that it will cost more to repair than the car is worth, you do not have the absolute right to demand that it gets fixed so I'd forget about nominating who gets to fix it because the insurance company are allowed to max. out their liability at the current market value of the car.

The insurance company will offer you what they consider to be the fair market value of the car, the fact that you bought it very recently should help you convince them that what you paid was a fair price so consider yourself lucky if you get 500 from them. Hold off on your own valuation, see what they offer you and if it's more than 500 take it, otherwise you can start haggling.

In all probability the boss of the company that owns the truck will write the cheque, that's what I'd do if it had been my car smash into you.

thanks for the good advice and knowledge. Really appreciated

If they consider the car beyond econmical repair and give me the value. Will they let me keep it? Can i then repair the car and drive it again or will it be off the road for good. Its just that I wouldnt get a better car for 400 or 500 euro and would rather it get fixed. Thanks again for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

if they write it off afaik ya can buy it back off them for a percentage of the payout/value

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dont whatever you do declare to them hoe much you bought the car for, tell them thats a private matter. Research similar models on Donedeal and Carzone so you have a price point should they think its worth less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement