Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OLEARY! FLAG AND MOCKING THE DEAD

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tsar kee

On a lighter note, did anyone notice he spelled tourism 'tourisim'. "To the back of the class Michael"......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Your parents have sex. Gross

did you escape from a test tube in a lab:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Sweet wrote: »
    Resorting to low-brow snide remarks only serve to weaken your case. Dudess is simply trying to present her side of the argument, one I most certainly agree with.

Dudess makes me proud to be Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Helix wrote: »
    How is it an honour? Its a bit of bleedin fabric, anyone could do it surely?

Nationalism and patriotism belongs in the past

maybe in canada!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Well no, I should have kept to the term nationalism. The only reason I was talking to you was because you presented yourself as someone who has zero interest in your nationalism, not born that way, the way you roll, thats you default etc., but then you say you would be more interested or defensive in your nationalism if you were being repressed. Bit weird.

Nobody is 'born' nationalistic. It is a social process, shaped by family, education, and the behavior of the state. Someone who came of age on the Falls Road in the late 1960s is probably going to have a different view of Irish nationalism than their counterpart in Galway, Dublin, or Liverpool.

I dont mind O'Learys latest stunt as it was a welcome break from the depression and anger that makes up the news these days. But some of the ignorant comments on this thread are a disgrace and insulting. The flag is a piece of a cloth, but its about what it represents and identifies. It represents Irish people, culture, sport and everything that makes us unique and proud.

Ireland is also a free democratic society where people can take whatever attitude they like to the flag. The values that the flag stand for are also the values that protect an individual's right to deface it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

FF mocked the living by placing me and others in negitive equity

we are under IMF flag now!!!

lol

I'm actually happy for people like you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Sweet wrote: »
    Einstein himself said that 'nationalism is the most infantile of all diseases, its is the measles of mankind.'

Isn't measles the measles of mankind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Are there any people left in this country with any sense of pride and respect for themselves and others?
    After Mr Olearys carry on with the coffin and hearse and the national colours why are people not outraged by this ?
    Very few citizens are afforded the honour of having the Tricolour on them on their final jouney and this clown has to insult them and their loved ones .
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Einhard wrote: »

Well spotted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I hear thats why he had to wear that mask, to stop him scratching them..

• Advertisement

Measles is just one small spot for a man, but it's one giant leap to make Puerto Banus the Monte Carlo of Europe.

Ireland is also a free democratic society...

:pac:

Strange but true: I've never used an emoticon before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

maxxie wrote: »
    maybe in canada!

theyre more patriotic over here than we are in ireland. really dont understand the mentality at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

What's to be proud of? Really, compared to other countries, we're fairly cráp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭locomo

I'd wipe my arse with the flag if I was out of bog roll.

lol +1. With the way the country is going thats what we'll be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Hey, your beef lies with Albert, not me. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

JayMul wrote: »
    Well you don't have to be proud of your neighbourhood but you may find your life more enriching if you were. It sounds like you are, I just thought I'd insert that point as it applies to the broader sense too.
    Is not littering and being nice to your neighbours symptomatic of local pride? I dunno... I'd have thought it's just the norm for most people in their everyday dealings, wherever they are.
    Magill wrote: »
    I dont see what hte big deal is.... whats wrong with being proud of were you come from... im a proud irish man... that doesnt mean that i go up to every non-irish person and bash out the ole "Im Irish... Everyone loves the Irish" quote.

What is wrong with feeling pride in what your ancestors achieved.. im very proud of my parents, they achieved a lot during very tough times with the troubles etc Im proud of what my country has achieved throughout history.

I really dont care if people have no sense of pride of where you came from.... but dont sit there and tell me its pointless.
    It's pointless - in my opinion. The things you're proud of don't have a link to nationality. But I'm not saying people shouldn't have the views you have, even if I disagree wth them, just that people who disagree with national pride shouldn't have to apologise for it.
    But some of the ignorant comments on this thread are a disgrace and insulting. The flag is a piece of a cloth, but its about what it represents and identifies. It represents Irish people, culture, sport and everything that makes us unique and proud.
    It represents whatever you want it to represent. To me, it is a piece of cloth. Not saying I'd agree with it being defaced or anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    surely the symbolism in this stunt was to show that Ireland is dead - ie ****ed - doesn't take a genius to figure it out

For someone who has it figured out you couldn't be more wrong, it was actually to symbolise Irish tourism being dead, the flag had Irish tourism written on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

Dudess wrote: »
    Is not littering and being nice to your neighbours symptomatic of local pride? I dunno... I'd have thought it's just the norm for most people in their everyday dealings, wherever they are.

I agree you could just be making life easier for yourself not really definitive instances of pride. Pride would be painting the local community centre or getting rid of graffiti, not everybody is proud of where they are from. I'm not totally proud to be Irish, Irish culture is too much about the few pints, if I had the chance to emigrate I probably would though I'd miss the black humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I like the land of Ireland, it's a nice looking and interesting country despite the rain. I can't be proud of that though I didn't make the land.

Irish history is just a storey to me, it's full of lessons and examples of great and terrible people that we can all learn from but I didn't really take part in it so can't be proud of it.

The modern Ireland I'm taking part in I'm not particularly proud of, given the knowledge at our disposal we're not doing anything to be proud of.

Pride isn't something that should be just there in the background, it's something that needs to be earned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

After Mr Olearys carry on with the coffin and hearse and the national colours why are people not outraged by this ?.

Because at the end of the day there is only one thing worse than an O Leary fanboy

And that is those among his critics who encourage his stupid stunts by giving then the level of attention they plainly dont merit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Does anyone have a link to what happened here? I"ve googled, can't find anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

dory wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to what happened here? I"ve googled, can't find anything.

What happened with O'Leary? Pretty much this

Advertisement