Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a good book about gaming?

Options
  • 20-11-2010 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, am thinking of getting the OH a book on gaming as a stocking filler for Xmas, as he's mad into it - has all the consoles etc.

He already has the Guinness book of records gamers edition, so am wondering if anyone knows of a similar type general games guide/reference type book that might be worth buying.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Not really a guide or reference but a book every gamer should read is "Masters of Doom" by David Kushner.

Its charts the rise of John Romero and John Carmack, the founders of Id Software and the creators of the first person shooter genre. If your OH is of an age where he played the Doom games back in the day, then this would be a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I enjoyed Game Boys - follows the professional Counter-Strike teams of CompLexity and EG and their rivalry...Interesting read if you're into the competitive circuit.

Some good recommendations of 'customers also bought' at the bottom of that link.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I know you said book....

But I watched this movies King of kong: a fist full of quarters

Its about a guys effort to beat the record for Donkey Kong. I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

sarumite wrote: »
    I know you said book....

But I watched this movies King of kong: a fist full of quarters

Its about a guys effort to beat the record for Donkey Kong. I really enjoyed it.

saw that too its class...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Trigger Happy by Steven Poole was on the top of my reading list for Uni. Great read.

From Wikipedia

Trigger Happy is a book by Steven Poole, examining videogames in terms of their aesthetic appeal - what makes certain games more fun to play than others. It covers aspects such as the effective use of space and perspective in videogames, rewards and progression through games, the design of an appealing video game character and the debate over violence in games

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

get him a shakeweight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Extra Lives by Tom Bissell is an enjoyable enough read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

'1001 Video Games You Should Play Before You Die' is a nice little guide to games over the years, probably make a good stocking filler. I've seen it in reads and easons so it should easy to pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Will definitely check out all the suggestions ye gave on Amazon and make up my mind from there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The Ultimate History of Video Games by Steve Kent is as complete and well-respected a history of the first three or so decades of gaming history as there is, but 1001 is the one to go for if you want a book for reference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement