Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathdrum this weekend

• 20-11-2010 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Running from Rathdrum on the Avonmore to the 'meet' and ideas on what to expect for this section?

First time doing it :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BOOF IT STEVE

you ll have fun, good for beginners,

http://irishwhitewater.com/river_guide/river.php?id=505

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Toby_2010

great section!! few nice places to play about too!! and some decent scenery too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

Just ran down from trooperstown today and it was low but there should be enough water to run from Rathdrum - GREAT section of water - stunning scenery and cool rapids which will push you on - I went down it about 4 months ago and there were a few trees down river wide - but they were BIG and easily seen on straight sections. whoever is guiding you will keep you right. Its a long stretch but gives more enjoyment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Some of the lads were in clashganny today, was supposed to be good, i really need to get into this side of it a bit more, cos its great craic when you do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Thanks lads looking forward to it I'll let you know how it goes :)

• Advertisement

What a fantastic stretch of river. This was my first time on real white water and man did I enjoy it. It was a small group, there are new ratio rules at WWKC, but we had some crackin' paddlers with us. The water levels were good and high so it wasn't as boney as what it could have been. I took one swim which was caused by a submerged rock which I caught side on trying to make an eddy which was a bit of craic. I took a nasty spin on one stretch where I got caught between to rocks and keeled over for a bit of a beating but I held in, tried to role but messed it up but there was boats there pronto for a rescue, smashed me hand a bit but nothing major.

All in all a super trip and super scenery. Hard to think only this summer I was petrified of the flow at the club house which now looks like shag all :D

EDIT: Just got this sent to me;

The first bit is me catchin that rock side on and then attempting a half arsed roll, second is just cruising down into an eddy. When you're underwater you don't realise how many people make the effort to come and get you, nice to see from dry land :)

I thought I'd post this here to gauge the progress I've made since floating down the lower Avonmore to this vid here. It's been a great two years in all only held back by a minor shoulder injury that kept me off the water for about 5 months.

I'm wearing the Go Pro and also the guy nick named pajo in the other shots. Same boat, same gear, new helmet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hint - buy some cigarette filters and stick em in the sides of the go pro. Cheap and cheerful anti fog inserts. Also air con the car with the case open on the way to the get in. Cools the inside of the case to reduce moisture once the go pro starts heating
    Nice video. :)

Antares wrote: »
    Hint - buy some cigarette filters and stick em in the sides of the go pro. Cheap and cheerful anti fog inserts. Also air con the car with the case open on the way to the get in. Cools the inside of the case to reduce moisture once the go pro starts heating

nice one, are they the filters that you put in roll ups?

yomchi wrote: »

nice one, are they the filters that you put in roll ups?

That's them. About 1 quid for a box instead of what go pro charge.

• Advertisement

Watched this again. I see you're being shown your ways by Oisin and Jerry. Bloody nutters ! Good guys though :)

Watched this again. I see you're being shown your ways by Oisin and Jerry. Bloody nutters ! Good guys though :)

Yep started with the two lads, both good friends of mine and super instructors ;)

Yep started with the two lads, both good friends of mine and super instructors ;)

Sound fellas alright. Paddled with them years ago in Wales.

you must be an old WWKC head so ;)

Paddy had reconstructive surgery on his shoulder about 4 months ago, super paddler.

you must be an old WWKC head so ;)

Paddy had reconstructive surgery on his shoulder about 4 months ago, super paddler.

Paddy is an utter nut.

I paddled with WW about 15/16 years ago. The click at the time turned me off the place. Moved to.Dundalk and met them through a mutual friend then.

Paddy is an utter nut.

I paddled with WW about 15/16 years ago. The click at the time turned me off the place. Moved to.Dundalk and met them through a mutual friend then.

Things are a bit different there now, great place to paddle. Some WW heads on here as well. Thanks for the info on the filters ;)

I'll tell them you said hello :)

Advertisement