Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maxi Zoo pet store coming to Finglas.

• 20-11-2010 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭

Was up in Tesco in Clearwater, Finglas today and in the units where DID electric is there are signs up for a Maxi Zoo pet shop opening soon.

I am unsure of the opening date as it had no date on the signage but it will be coming soon.

Just worried for the small pet shop in Finglas Village now!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! :D Can you take pets in like you can in Pet Mania?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Haven't been to one of these before - I assume they're a UK chain? Anyone been? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Just worried for the small pet shop in Finglas Village now!

Maxi zoo opened a while back in tallaght and the small pet shop in the village is still going and has just refurbished its shop.

I couldnt tell you how prices compare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Better nip to the credit union for a small loan before visiting...one of the most expensive pets stores I have ever been in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Good point - I didn't think of the small local shop, not that I shop there but I'd rather keep my business local - esp. in the current economic climate etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Do most of my shopping in Maxi Zoo and I've found them pretty good, though they are expensive. Then again, the way prices for pet accessories and food are going, everywhere I've been to seems expensive now. I thought they were a UK chain as well but as far as I know, the chain is owned by some guy in Cork. I think the Finglas one is their seventh or eighth store or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're German, part of the Fressnapf group, see http://www.fressnapf.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

tk123 wrote: »
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! :D Can you take pets in like you can in Pet Mania?

Yeah they welcome pets. I brought my Maine Coon kitty in to get him weighed. He enjoyed all the attention :D
    Anytime I visit, there is always somebody in there with their dog:)

Sundew wrote: »
    Yeah they welcome pets. I brought my Maine Coon kitty in to get him weighed. He enjoyed all the attention :D
    Anytime I visit, there is always somebody in there with their dog:)

Brilliant - our guy loves the attention too lol! He's on crate rest at the moment but once he's able for short lead walks again we can go for a look around and a biscuit!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Any of the Maxi Zoos I've been in allow dogs in, and have a little bowl outside with food and water. Some of the stuff is cheaper and sometimes they have offers but in general I've found them as expensive as any other pet shop. They've lots for dogs n cats and a good few things for fish and smallies but hardly any bird stuff except food n treats not many bird toys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Apparently it opened today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

They have a shop in Naas, in the shopping park where Woodies is, and I pop in there quite a bit. They allow pets in and are usually very helpful.
    I don't find them any more expensive than any other pet shop. I usually buy my Science Plan kitten food either from the local vet or from Zooplus but they're selling the 2k bag for 12.99Euro which saved me about a fiver a bag. They've also just got in the 'Litter Locker' which works like a nappy disposal unit but for when you clean out the litter tray. I was looking to get a new one as the one I got from Zooplus a few years ago is getting battered. They were priced at 39.99 but when I enquired, he sold me one for 19.99 because they were a new item :D

I guess I shop for the cats the same way I do for myself. I know what I want and I buy what I need in the cheapest place possible so I end up getting stuff from several different places. At the moment, Maxi Zoo are doing some pretty good offers so I'll be checking them out weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 seanny1981

i also heard the prices in the new petshop in clearwater is rediculous i think people shud support our local petshop where the prices are grand and they have been there for a long time if people dont support our local shops the village will soon be like a ghost town and good people will lose hope and their lively hood

I went up today with the pupper for a look around and I found the prices the same as zooplus for most things I recognized - stuff I'd been eyeing up so knew the prices lol. 6 big hard dog biscuits were 22 cent - and they're the Mera ones they sell on zooplus so I know they won't upset our guys tummy. I went up with my dad so we split up while he went to Tescos...while we were waiting for him by the car (puppy was sitting quietly to increase his chances of getting a bickie) some nice person told their kid as they were passing (so I'd hear) that dogs shouldn't not be allowed in the carpark blah blah so I told the dog that he was in the carpark cos there's a giant pet shop there now! :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lillylalogue

there seems to be lot of superstore petshops popping up here and there! theres a big one in gullivers business park, santry and now this one in clearwater. however the prices are mad!! however from what i've seen in maxi zoo the conditions for the pets inside are better than some local petshops i've been into. the rabbits had large runs with places to hide while the local one only has the wire fronted cage with hardly any room to hop. the birds too had room to fly which another local one didnt have. so i suppose you must take the good with the bad. i used to work in a petshop years ago and the dspca were always on to them about the tiny cage the budgies were in; the superstores at least have the space.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Where's the one in Tallaght? The only pet store I know of is the small one in the village, beside the Leisureplex...

Might bring my JRT down this weekend and get her some more durable toys. She's already decimated the kong ball I got her last week :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Redlegend7

Maxi zoo from what I can see are priced the same as your big supermarkets and have a heck of a bigger range.... Your ordinary type of pet shop could be in trouble as maxi zoo isn't ordinary.... It's flipping fantastic and the staff seem genuine in their love of animals, I always feel special when I come out of my favourite shop in the world... Maxi zoo tallaght

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Where's the one in Tallaght? The only pet store I know of is the small one in the village, beside the Leisureplex...

It's down in the same complex as Woodies and Lidl - across the road from the football stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

was just in the maxizoo in finglas the other day. very impressed with it :)
    it seems well run. the staff know their stuff and the animals are in spacious enough cages etc.

the one in finglas village is a dump. its cramped and stinks to high heaven. i doubt any of the animals get little or no interaction.

Advertisement