Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Configuring a New P.C.

Options
  • 20-11-2010 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Howdy Folks,

Looking to buy/build a new P.C and I'm a little out of touch as I haven't really been paying attention to Computers lately.

Anyhow, looking for a powerful gaming machine, primarily used for gaming that can stroll through recent games :p.

Like to keep it between €600-700 excluding shipping, don't mind ordering from HWVS as long as they won't screw me over (I've heard stories about there shipping time).

Help's appreciated and i'll check this regularly.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

The experts will be here with their suggestions shortly (me no expert), but they'll need to know if the budget is for the full set up (including monitor, keyboard, mouse etc), or just the tower, do you need an OS etc? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Actually, I'm building essentially the same as the OP. I'll post up my list in a few hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There are a few threads that ran over the last week or so that were in and around the €550 - 700 range. It might be worth your while looking over those, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Foreverdelayed

The experts will be here with their suggestions shortly (me no expert), but they'll need to know if the budget is for the full set up (including monitor, keyboard, mouse etc), or just the tower, do you need an OS etc? :)

Nope I have a good keyboard and mouse already and I'll probably tackle the monitor after i've decided on the tower first, so the budget i've listed if for the tower and oh yes an OS. :p

@Cradock; I was checking out the build on your thread, Like I must say comes within my price range and it's powerful gaming spec.

As I didn't have to factor in the cost of the OS, you might have to compromise on one or two components that appeared on my list if you want to keep the cost below €700.

• Advertisement

As I didn't have to factor in the cost of the OS, you might have to compromise on one or two components that appeared on my list if you want to keep the cost below €700.

Might be able to pick up a copy of Window's 7 significantly cheaper as I'm a student but I wouldn't mind going over my budget by €40 or €50 quid.

i5 760 along with the GTX460 have recieved some fantastic reviews, certainly looking very attractive but I'm open to suggestion.

gsaadd.jpg

This is pre-OS, and pre extra fans/any other mods you want. The PSU gives off a Blue light, and you can get a blue 120mm fan and Blue cathodes for about a tenner

giggsy664 wrote: »
    gsaadd.jpg

This is pre-OS, and pre extra fans/any other mods you want. The PSU gives off a Blue light, and you can get a blue 120mm fan and Blue cathodes for about a tenner

Thanks for the build,

How does the AMD Phenom X6 compare with i5 760 gaming wise?

Wouldn't mind adding an extra fan and blue cathodes for an extra tenner, would like to keep heat levels down as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Might be able to pick up a copy of Window's 7 significantly cheaper as I'm a student but I wouldn't mind going over my budget by €40 or €50 quid.

W7 Pro €45.45. Some colleges have better deals inside the college - i.e., sometimes free if you're doing a computer science course.

If it's purely for gaming, the 760 will do better as most games won't come near to using that many cores and will perform better per core than the X6. The X6 could be a little more future proof resistant if you use programs which could utilise that many cores (hopefully future games).
    Also the s1156 platform is being succeeded in January.

Monotype wrote: »
    W7 Pro €45.45. Some colleges have better deals inside the college - i.e., sometimes free if you're doing a computer science course.

If it's purely for gaming, the 760 will do better as most games won't come near to using that many cores and will perform better per core than the X6. The X6 could be a little more future proof resistant if you use programs which could utilise that many cores (hopefully future games).
    Also the s1156 platform is being succeeded in January.

That W7 pro is an upgrade so would'nt you already need an OS installed? Correct me if im wrong :P

For €9 more I think i'll switch to the i5 760 2.8ghz, won't break the bank:D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the build,

Not favourably. I would think that spending the extra €10 would be wise if you are looking at gaming performance.

Looking at giggsy664's build, I wonder if you need the card reader and wireless pci? I also wonder about the advantage of a 2gb gtx 460 over the 1gb version or even another card altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That W7 pro is an upgrade so would'nt you already need an OS installed? Correct me if im wrong :P

AFAIK, you can install it without a key and then launch it within the unactivated windows and install it with the key. Are you sure there's no copies of XP around?
    I also wonder about the advantage of a 2gb gtx 460 over the 1gb version or even another card altogether.

Well spotted. Those cards are usually a waste of money. IMO, go for a 1GB version.

Not favourably. I would think that spending the extra €10 would be wise if you are looking at gaming performance.

Looking at giggsy664's build, I wonder if you need the card reader and wireless pci? I also wonder about the advantage of a 2gb gtx 460 over the 1gb version or even another card altogether.

I'll need a wireless pci to pick up my broadband definitely. The difference between the 1 and 2GB gtx460 is pretty minimal unless your playing with a really high res which I won't be so i'll stick with the 1gb.
    AFAIK, you can install it without a key and then launch it within the unactivated windows and install it with the key. Are you sure there's no copies of XP around?

Well spotted. Those cards are usually a waste of money. IMO, go for a 1GB version.

I should be able to pick a copy up somewhere, would be nice to get a copy of win 7 for €45 :D

Aye, but the 2Gb is only €30 more than the 1Gb. That's my build btw, but I was just recommending it as a base line for the OP.

I'll need a wireless pci to pick up my broadband definitely.

Ah sorry, didn't realise that was one of your requirements.

BTW, I noticed that xbit ran some OCing tests on the Palit GeForce GTX 460. Interesting read (or or gawk at the graphs in my case) as it compares favourably to the more expensive HD 5870.

Ah sorry, didn't realise that was one of your requirements.

BTW, I noticed that xbit ran some OCing tests on the Palit GeForce GTX 460. Interesting read (or or gawk at the graphs in my case) as it compares favourably to the more expensive HD 5870.

I've been basing my build around yours in a different topic with and added wireless pci, have you tested your's out yet?

Might go for something similar if it does the job:p

I've been basing my build around yours in a different topic with and added wireless pci, have you tested your's out yet?

Might go for something similar if it does the job:p

It hasn't arrived yet. In fact, I don't think that the cash transfer will go through until tomorrow. I would be surprised if the order arrives before next Monday.

The card I eventually chose faired quite well in this meta customer review analysis. Most of the other budget cards that I had considered didn't rate as highly, and if they did it wasn't based off as many reviews. But, hey - you never know what to expect until you fit it all together and press the on button. If you are still considering options by the time I've received and the components, I'll happily share my thoughts. PM me next week if you want.

It hasn't arrived yet. In fact, I don't think that the cash transfer will go through until tomorrow. I would be surprised if the order arrives before next Monday.

The card I eventually chose faired quite well in this meta customer review analysis. Most of the other budget cards that I had considered didn't rate as highly, and if they did it wasn't based off as many reviews. But, hey - you never know what to expect until you fit it all together and press the on button. If you are still considering options by the time I've received and the components, I'll happily share my thoughts. PM me next week if you want.

Alright cheers :pac:

Advertisement