Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a proposal: an Irish Historical Firearms museum

Options
  • 20-11-2010 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

So as many of you know I try to snatch up antique Irish-related firearms here in the States as they come up for auction

In the past year, Roger Casement's mauser was sold to a private collector
    10-20 historically significant black powder arms have passed me but at too high a price.
    And now Daniel O Connell's houdah pistols are up for auction dec 3rd (alas these are probably out of my reach also).

Ireland once had a very proud gun making tradition.
    There was Rigby, Trulock and Harriss, Kavanagh, Penn, Braddle to name a few.
    Not many people know of our past skills in this business as a country.
    I think a small museum would see enough traffic to remain viable especially with sponsorship from some of the bigger manufacturers.

The exhibits would run the gamut from early cannon, bp stuff, commercial domestic stuff through to military arms used and maybe hopefully without too much controversy, pieces used in historical crimes etc.

Money I can raise, but the Irish political machine is something I've no exposure to, and definitely it would need to be co-opted to realise an actual brick and mortar outcome

-inputs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

I agree 100%.I remember my father used to bring me when I was a child to garnets and keegan's in parliament st and I used to be fascinated by the guns there and we used to walk over to watts on the quays they where the days.would love to be able to see a collection of Irish historic firearms I think the national museum have a small few.but I fear at the moment the present Irish government have no interest especially in firearms and there policies would have our past patriots spinning in there graves.the gun dealers and the likes of Davy Brennan of ardee sports,also the NARGC might be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Be great to see it some day, but you would not believe how jumpy the state is when it comes to firearms here. I had a Vetterli-Vitali 1882 rifle that was imported in the Larne gun running of 1914. It wasnt in great condition but it was taken off me when I tried to put on a militaria static display for my local town festival. My bayonet collection was also taken and my inert ammo.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Be a great idea..But dont bother down here in the Republic..No money anymore,and no sense for historical value of this stuff.Ironically I bet you this would be a great idea in Northen Ireland.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Be a great idea..But dont bother down here in the Republic..No money anymore,and no sense for historical value of this stuff.Ironically I bet you this would be a great idea in Northen Ireland.

I don't think money would be the problem. There are a few people around who still have plenty of it - it hasn't disappeared, they've just stopped spreading it around! But I bet they're still looking for safe places to invest it. Maybe if there are tax incentives available something like this could be a good investment.

What would worry me the most would be that the firearms might have to be deactivated :O I'd hate to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Indeed there is FF.But Who wants to be seen forking it out without attracting unwelcome attention from "de mejia" or de tax man??:)
    Personally,if I had the money and wanted a safe quiet investment..I'd be buying them myself and storing them on the QT somwhere outside of the ROI.They eat no hay,and are increasing in value every year.
    Yup they WILL be deacts.:(:(.Devs personal Mauser is just now a high tech club.A mortal sin that firearms that forged our history are dehorned and chucked into museums for the unappreciative to gawp at.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Ireland is now under adult supervision :D

There won't be any spending money for a long time...

Advertisement