Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New To Taxi Driving?

Options
  • 20-11-2010 4:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi all,

Just thought I would start an up to date thread on taxi driving :cool:

I was thinking about getting into it purely for something to do. Obviously I would liike to earn some money although it is not the most important factor. I am in a job where I am miserable and would like some part time work in a taxi driving around listening to music and talking to interesting people :) Please do not post on this thread with complete negativity and ignorace. Don't bother commenting if you are trying to provoke an argument.

Please tell me your thoughts on RECENT experience with the area knowledge test?

I am interested to hear from new drivers on the scene and if you enjoy it etc.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If your miserable in your job and want to work part time as a taxi driver, won't you still be miserable in your job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Magi11

You are part of the problem. There are too many full time taxi drivers without selfish people like you who are doing for the life experience. And don't put a thread up here and try to direct the responses you get. It's not how this place works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

Any comments on the topic are welcome.

I am a clamper so i think driving a taxi would make me much happier. I would like to be my own boss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

a clamper and a taxi driver! I can't believe it! What is the third most hated job on boards? You'll be telling us that you also work for the bank soon! And are an English, protestant paedophile.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

a clamper and a taxi driver! I can't believe it! What is the third most hated job on boards?

Internet troll...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

GiddyUp86 wrote: »
    talking to interesting people :)

ye busy tonight bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

a clamper and a taxi driver! I can't believe it! What is the third most hated job on boards? You'll be telling us that you also work for the bank soon! And are an English, protestant paedophile.

Who votes Fianna Fail :D

Back on track OP I done the taxi thing for 5 years (finished in June when my PSV elapsed) and it's no easy ride, especially for the last 18 months of it. Yes, there are a lot of moaners in the trade and there is a lot of pettiness going on but it's a dirty trade that's low paid and with a high personal cost base. There is little or no respect between drivers and customers anymore, pretty much anything goes when it comes to while the powers that be have no interest in sorting out even basic issues that are literally ruining the job.

If you want to go and do it for a few bob by all means but if you have a mortgage and kids to feed then you are pissing in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Any comments on the topic are welcome.

I am a clamper so i think driving a taxi would make me much happier. I would like to be my own boss

I would have tought after taking flak off irate people all day.
    The last thing you would need is to have to listen to drunken arseholes all night!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

I'm out of breath after reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

OP you will need a psv licence etc
    have a look here: http://www.taxiregulator.ie/industry/for-industry.html

If you are going to get into it, get a proper car too, not some 8 year old ****box avensis.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies!

Are there any young taxi drivers here that rent their taxi with fleet insurance included? if so, would it be expensive for a 25 year old to obtain insurance?

My current employer pay a slightly higher premium but they said its minimal but obviously a taxi would be more expensive than a van I would have thought?

Thanks

Tickityboo wrote: »
    I would have tought after taking flak off irate people all day.
    The last thing you would need is to have to listen to drunken arseholes all night!!!

To be honest, I don't have a problem in dealing with any type of person. I wouldnt be ashamed to say I am a taxi driver but being a clamper and knowing the things I have done to get a clamp on all for a poor wage is shameful so I want to get out of this industry.

I would rather struggle and earn a few quid honestly than trying to f*ck people over to earn cash easily!

Stark wrote: »
    Internet troll...

Yeah, you'd know all about that son.

To be honest, I don't have a problem in dealing with any type of person. I wouldnt be ashamed to say I am a taxi driver but being a clamper and knowing the things I have done to get a clamp on all for a poor wage is shameful so I want to get out of this industry.

I would rather struggle and earn a few quid honestly than trying to f*ck people over to earn cash easily!

I suppose the thing with being a taxi driver is that quite often you'll meet some of the most decent people on Earth but meet them at their lowest and most obnoxious point (after twelve pints and a taco chip).

I think that you would have the chance to do good by people. Make sure they get home safe. And being a taxi driver you don't have to do the late shifts with the drunkards.

Don't fret about being a clamper though. It isn't the fault of the guys putting the clamp on, it's the fault of the system which allows it to take place. I've been clamped several times. I have cursed my rotten luck, Dublin City Council, Control Plus and myself but never the lad who put the clamp itself on.

Advertisement