Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to phosphorylate my life!

Options
  • 20-11-2010 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello there, now for those of you who get what i mean by phosphorylation congrats :P.

Basically i'm a final year Biomedical science student and i havent a clue what i want to do with myself next year. I have a huge problem....i love everything i do!!! =(

My final year project is on epithelial immunobiology looking at the effect of reintroduction of E-cadherin on squamous cells with have been found to produce no E-cadherin. So its sort of cancer releated which i like. If things go well i should be getting a 2.1 degree *fingers crossed* so in terms of post graduate courses i would have a lot of choice.

What i mean to ask here is, if i want to narrow down my field would it be a good idea to try and get some work in a research lab in a field i am considering doing a masters or PHD in to get a feel for it first?
    A friend of mine has gotten work expierence in Canada for the summer. Now i wouldnt be as ambitious as that but i certainly wouldnt mind working an Irish research lab (for free, mind you :P ) over the summer.

Do lecturers mind if people ask can they work in their labs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Hairspray wrote: »
    Hello there, now for those of you who get what i mean by phosphorylation congrats :P.

Basically i'm a final year Biomedical science student and i havent a clue what i want to do with myself next year. I have a huge problem....i love everything i do!!! =(

My final year project is on epithelial immunobiology looking at the effect of reintroduction of E-cadherin on squamous cells with have been found to produce no E-cadherin. So its sort of cancer releated which i like. If things go well i should be getting a 2.1 degree *fingers crossed* so in terms of post graduate courses i would have a lot of choice.

What i mean to ask here is, if i want to narrow down my field would it be a good idea to try and get some work in a research lab in a field i am considering doing a masters or PHD in to get a feel for it first?
    A friend of mine has gotten work expierence in Canada for the summer. Now i wouldnt be as ambitious as that but i certainly wouldnt mind working an Irish research lab (for free, mind you :P ) over the summer.

Do lecturers mind if people ask can they work in their labs?

Absolutely, its a great idea to do that. And lecturers will actually love it if you ask them. Don't get me wrong, they might say no, but they'll be thrilled that you asked. Any time a student shows genuine interest in their field of research will be appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Slave labour is always welcome in the laboratory, providing you can do enough work for a lab to repay the time others in the lab will need to take out to teach you stuff. Beware that an MSc is almost a basic requirement these days to even apply for a PhD position. Darn grade inflation.

Advertisement