Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get a tree trunk in Galway?

Options
  • 20-11-2010 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

It might seem like an odd question to ask but I'm decorating my apartment and want to recreate something like this...

Maybe someone's chopping down a tree or knows somewhere I could try for one.
    Thanks in advance!

IMAGE URL http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovemaegan/4832114208/

Comments

I don't know if they have one, but you should check out the Christmas market. There is a stand there that has wooden ornaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

If yer into just gettin the raw ingredient of a tree stump rather than a finished article, like in the photo, try any of the forestry service companies around to see what they might have. I only know of Murray Forestry Services, but they are in Clare, bit of a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

That looks like a deciduous tree trunk - hardwood, old wood, likely unfarmed.

To get anything like that here would be VERY expensive I wager. (or illegal)

Your best bet would probably be a national park or something, but hardwood, even from dead trees, goes for a lot. A maple fell over in a storm in my parent's backyard (Canada) and they sold the wood for over 3k (they came and took it away too)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You could use any tree trunk as long as it totally dries out & there is nothing living in it. You would need to keep it in a dry place for quite a while to ensure that it dries out before you paint it otherwise the paint will seal in moisture & it will rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Try the place the far side of Turloughmore. Its on the main rd a bit byond theTopaz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say those things in the photos are casts, it would be much cheaper to cast something if it's going to be painted than waste valuable wood. A big solid lump of timber like that wouldn't be all that manageable indoors either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

The biggest problem is not finding a tree trunk, (I have a few myself if you want to PM me) it's finding one with the same character as those in the picture, the burls and knots on the ones in the picture are what make them hard to get and more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd say those things in the photos are casts, it would be much cheaper to cast something if it's going to be painted than waste valuable wood. A big solid lump of timber like that wouldn't be all that manageable indoors either.

They are definately casts.
    The knurls and knots that are so full of character are exactly identical on each, they're just sitting a slightly different angles.
    Check eBay or garden furniture suppliers.

Imho, they look horrible in gold, tacky as feck. Would be better painted black, white, brown or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dreababyluxe

thanks all for ur help, we've decided to wait til after christmas and look into the cast idea and research online. trying to dry out a tree trunk/stump living in an apartment, and in this weather, doesn't seem like a very smart idea!

Advertisement