Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is It Just Me???....

• 20-11-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭

... Or is anyone else sick of hearing about, Bailouts, IMF, Brian Cowen, Ireland in Crisis, EU, The Lenihan eejit, feckin everything is all about the economy going bust, we all know about it. It's clear as day in all of our face's, yet everyone still has to go on an on an on an on an on an on, even AH is taking to nearly everyone posting about it.

Yes I do understand that it is a big deal, and that everyone has their concerns over what might happen. But Jaysus, give it a rest for even one day. I know Biffo fecked up, but everywhere we turn we are reminded about it, and I for one. I am SICK of it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Why not speak to your real friends? Cause it hasn't been brought up in conversation more than once in the past week in my circle, which goes against your media and online sensationalisation of the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Have to agree. Have given up on news papers and radio for the last couple of weeks.
    I think we are in trouble but let's just get on with it, get the problem sorted and move on. I understand it will take time but I can not listen to negativity all the time.
    We talked ourselves into a rut, lets talk ourselves out of it now.

Jay D wrote: »
    Why not speak to your real friends? Cause it hasn't been brought up in conversation more than once in the past week in my circle, which goes against your media and online sensationalisation of the whole thing.

This is true. It's only TV and online that I see this crap. The odd mention at home, sure, but it's only when I log on here, or turn on the news that I actually remember the country is f*cked :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

Jay D wrote: »

While I can agree with what you are saying. Even my friends are going on about it all the time. It's even as bad as to say I got into a taxi the other night, and he turns an says to me "so what ya think about this bailout" FECKKKKKKKKKK OFF already with the bailout! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Let's all keep our heads in the sand and pretend it's not happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Balfie wrote: »
    ... Or is anyone else sick of hearing about, Bailouts, IMF, Brian Cowen, Ireland in Crisis, EU, The Lenihan eejit, feckin everything is all about the economy going bust, we all know about it. It's clear as day in all of our face's, yet everyone still has to go on an on an on an on an on an on, even AH is taking to nearly everyone posting about it.

Yes I do understand that it is a big deal, and that everyone has their concerns over what might happen. But Jaysus, give it a rest for even one day. I know Biffo fecked up, but everywhere we turn we are reminded about it, and I for one. I am SICK of it!

These 'lets not talk about the economy or politic threads' are numerous and just as annoying if not more so.

orourkeda wrote: »

eeeexactly.

*sticks fingers in ears and whistles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

orourkeda wrote: »

I never said that I wanted people to pretend it's not happening, I know that it is happening I'm just sick of hearing about it, thats all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

We've only had 2 weeks of IMF talk and your pissed off..yet we've had 80 years of piss takers running the country and you've nothing to say about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Interweb person in 'unable to not click on threads I don't want to read shocker'

&

'So I made a thread about my affliction' shocker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - Is hard to escape it when it's in our faces every fcuking day. I've tried the oul head in the sand myself, but it doesn't work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Right, there is a couple of things that stick out for me...

1. We can't stick our heads in the sand for its not going away. I know we all know that.

2. People (the vast majority of them not boards.ie users also) are very worried about what's coming next, how it will effect them and what they should be doing to minimise the possible personal damage to them. To that effect many are talking about current issues - when in fact without having to admit they are worried about their own personal self, are looking desperately through chat to pick up answers/others advice.

3. To compound the problem of it being everywhere at home, now in the last weeks with talk of IMF/EU/whatever funding coming in, the international media has hyped up their interest and across Europe has put Ireland on the front of their newspapers daily - repeatedly day after day.
    For a lot of Irish folk that have had pride in their nation as they grew up with it, they see this with a sense of shame and humiliation.
    They (the vast majority) all their lives had paid their taxes, did their daily work toil and in their own way (despite the fools in government) had pride in their country.
    Now they see that stripped away and they feel powerless to stop it.

4. There are a number of things that keep me sane (well as sane as a daft bugger can be) and one of those things that does that job is the thought/reminding of one's self, that nothing lasts for ever.

We are riding on the crest of a wave at the moment in a number of ways.
    Be it in now constant maximum exposure in the media, in constant conversation chatter, in a high level of country humiliation for having to hand over some national governance to foreign heads and so painfully on and on...

...But I know this can't last for ever!
    Its that one thought that is keeping me (and others) from upping sticks and getting the hell out of our country that we love.
    (Hell, if we didn't love it so much, we wouldn't argue about it as passionately!)
    Sooner or later - probably later in our case, things will start to reach their peak, the crest of the wave we shall no longer be on - and I look forwards to that day.

In the meanwhile, we will still grumble, fight for our corner, belief and rights (be it for sheer example; medical care for wife and kids) and in all honesty - try to seek a correct balance between doing the right thing and accepting to fork out more in earnings in order to get our country back on an even keel ...and maintaining a decent semblance of keeping running our great public assistance systems (hospitals/fire service/Garda/etc).

5. Now just as regards threads on AH, in the past I have created a number of things political related myself.
    Since things has taken a major jump in scale, I've laid off doing so - and I'm not the only one I have noticed that has taken this action.
    While there still exists threads discussing the current situation (and rightly so) I have noted that many fellow members are now just joining in with other threads rather than start up too many of their own.
    Of course some days in AH there seems to be a flood of them (depending on events of the day or previous) but in general, I have now start to notice, things are calming slightly on the whole.
    (The mods have helped this too by combining certain threads)

So here too the wave that is seemingly at its peak - will fall eventually.

We have no choice too really in this matter. We can grit our teeth, grumble sometimes and ride out the wave - or we can up sticks and walk away, even for a while from the likes of AH.

They are possibly the only two choices that we do have power over presently.
    Speaking for myself, I'm keeping my head down, posting into other threads but not worsening the situation by creating more.
    I think a lot of other posters here too have come to the same conclusion.

All we can do (if we staying) is ride out the present wave because of something that we love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

nnrfhmjgfgftejkjlk;;o

(IE: Bash head in to keyboard and post results!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The other thing that annoys me is all this economy talk and IMF bailout nonsense, what's up with that? :pac:

kowloon wrote: »
    The other thing that annoys me is all this economy talk and IMF bailout nonsense, what's up with that? :pac:

The fact that somehow we can still laugh and joke about the situation too, gives me hope.
    Faith in the future. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The worst of it is the politicians and bankers were hiding the truth and lying all the way through because there would be no accountability.

There is a saying you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time.

But why did they persist when everyone knew they were lying ?

IIRC there is still a levy on insurance in this country to pay for PMPA and that happened before a lot of you were born.

/RANT

Stil do you reckon there's a chance of snow this year ?

...Still do you reckon there's a chance of snow this year ?
    Good to probably.
    My four young kids look out the window now every morning in hope. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Biggins wrote: »
    Good to probably.
    My four young kids look out the window now every morning in hope. :pac:

When I was a kid, my favourite time of the year when I was child was that magical first snowfall. I'd yell "Yippee! Snow!" and run up to the front door and shout "You know the deal... You have to let me in now."

Advertisement