Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I see the light!! Too many choices...help!

Options
  • 20-11-2010 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Right, just deleted a long and boring post to make it easier!

Came across an aquarium set up yesterday for turtles:

Included were, flourescent bulbs - not UVB, was told this was not needed for turtles until bulbs blew - which when I asked could last from 6mths to 10 yrs:eek:

Submersible heater included, filter included (cant remember name-but know I want a silent one:D)

Food, cleaner (de-chlorinator etc) but my question is:

Turtles need the UVB filter from 1st day don't they?Submersible heaters - are they safe enough for Musk turtles?
    Will I require a seperate set up for UVB or can I use/get flourescent bulbs with UVB?
    Still a long enough post, but not starting again! Have read the literature online, but need to hear from turtle owners directly pls!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

I know I wasn't clear enough with the question so here it is:

Can I ask for a UVB flourescent bulb from the Pet shop, as I understand that turtles need UVB for their production of vitamin D3?

They are supplying the setup with normal flourescent bulbs, (don't know the watt), but feel this should be standard, yet she says they don't need it:confused:

I do know that if I use UVB flourescent bulbs then a seperate basking lamp will be required, but was going to have that set up anyhow........

Please advise, I hate getting conflicting information!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thinspired

As far as I know you do need to have UV lamp from the beginning. I was told to put in a standard UV strip light for Vitamin D etc as their shells need it to develop properly.
    I'd say get a UV strip lamp same as you'd see in your regular aquarium setup plus a spotlamp for basking and you're sorted.

Regarding submersible heaters - I've always had one and it's never bothered my musks. Lazy feckers actually used to stand up on it on their hind legs so they could reach the surface of the water to breath without having to swim up. Until I raised the water level, that is :D They're not going to burn themselves or anything like that.

I understand if you're panicky about getting it wrong but it sounds like you've done loads of research! If ben is still in reptile haven in dublin he's the man to ask about anything like that, I used to ring him at least twice a day at the start and I wasn't even a regular customer!

Also good for browsing for general info, and envying other people's tank set-ups, is this forum: http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/index.php?act=home

Another thing- don't worry if you don't see your musks basking. It's not uncommon at all. Mine have never once bothered to use their beautiful basking platform.

Advertisement