Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital

Options
  • 20-11-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Has anyone got any bad experiences to report, on any visits to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital? About the service they got, or did,nt get. A family member of mine went up to see a Surgeon during the week, at 3.00pm, and at 11.00pm that night, was still not seen. She eventually gave up and came home, so did a lot of other people. The staff were no help either. Do we have to suffer this round the clock waiting, if we,r paying big money for private healthcare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

My experience and that of many others is that the staff in the lourdes are top notch .They have to work in the hardest circumstances in the country bar none and cant be blamed for whats going on up there . Its a shame that people have to travel from Dundalk and elsewhere to attend a hospital that just isnt functioning properly .Mary harney has alot to answer for not the staff in the lourdes imo .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I have just been in the A and E a few times with broken bones.... Staff are top notch, new A and E is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Smokecloak wrote: »
    Has anyone got any bad experiences to report, on any visits to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital? About the service they got, or did,nt get. A family member of mine went up to see a Surgeon during the week, at 3.00pm, and at 11.00pm that night, was still not seen. She eventually gave up and came home, so did a lot of other people. The staff were no help either. Do we have to suffer this round the clock waiting, if we,r paying big money for private healthcare?

You might find this article from this weeks Dundalk Democrat interesting:

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/Dundalk-woman39s-hospital-campaign.6628358.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You might find this article from this weeks Dundalk Democrat interesting:

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/Dundalk-woman39s-hospital-campaign.6628358.jp

Bad and all as this is the shocking thing is there are worse stories than this to be told and with the way things are now it will only get worse :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭The Valley

I have used this hospital several times, only this week i have been up with my son and I have to say the service is top notch, A and E is new.

I have been back for follow ups and i have not been waiting more than 1 hour before being seen.

I will say there are plenty of drunks about, maybe if we can deal with these the overall service might be improved for everybody

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My brother had to go in a few times over the years with Kidney stones.

The first time though, the hospital was so annoying. He had started to feel pains in America when we were on holidays and the docs over there said it was most likely kidney stones. We get back home and the pain gets worse one night so we go to A&E. We tell them what the American docs say and they laugh it off, saying its probably just constipation. My brother is absolulty screaming in agony and they just keep going constipation, constipation. Eventually, we convince them to get an x-ray done, and low and behold, it's kidney stones...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Smokecloak

Yes, theres good points and bad in everything. But the biggest complaint most people make is the long wait to see someone. Waiting is bad enough anywhere when you are in top notch health, but when you,r sick and at low ebb, an hour can feel a long time. Nobody minds waiting a reasonable time, but 6 or 12 hours is insane. Maybe we should take sleeping bags with us, and a flask. I,m sure its the same everywhere now. This thing of people on trollys everywhere is a recent thing. Does it mean that more people are getting sick now, than ever before? Is it the bigger population, or a shortage of doctors. Or a shortage of money. Can,t see things improving for a long time, a very long time. Any comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we are very lucky to have a hospital so close to us , imagine driving from cavan or monaghan all the way to drogheda in pain:eek: i know the louth county hospital should be open but thats another topic.... its not the staffs fault , they do their best, imagine waking up each morning knowing you are facing in to working in those conditions again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

My father spent the last year of his life visiting the Lourdes hospital due to terminal cancer and never had a bad word to say about it, the staff and consultants were always very nice and helpful.

This is compared to Navan where he went for an initial scan before he knew what was wrong, was told he had the all clear from cancer, only to be told 6 months later in Dublin that there is no way the scan could have been clear as he had cancer throughout his entire body.

As an added insult we received a letter from Navan shortly after he passed away stating that they were fully confident in the results given from the scan.

So while Drogheda might be understaffed and lacking capacity, at the very least it has nice staff that know what they are doing.

Thats scary about the scan. The least you expect is to get told exactly whats wrong with you, even if they can,t do anything about it. Good staff make all the difference. Daisy Hill is nearer to Dundalk. Any thoughts on that?

• Advertisement

Smokecloak wrote: »
    Thats scary about the scan. The least you expect is to get told exactly whats wrong with you, even if they can,t do anything about it. Good staff make all the difference. Daisy Hill is nearer to Dundalk. Any thoughts on that?

But you can only use daisy hill for certain things as far as i know .They cant do certain procedures on medical cards from the south so people will have to use Droghedas hospital at some stage ..

Yes, I guess the medical card would,nt cover much in Daisy Hill, but anyone with private healthcare has full cover. And thats a lot of people. Be intresting to know how many people in Dundalk and north Louth on private healthcare use Daisy Hill!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Rather than start a another similar thread, I thought it best just to throw this in here.

Have a brother that is brain damaged and epileptic, lives in a private home that has care there full time.
    He took sick last night (long story, intestines problematic amid other things).
    Rang for a ambulance (which is five minutes away if you drove) at 8.45pm
    ...It turned up just before 11 - and he WAS in a bad way (still is)
    (By the way, it was also counted that there was yesterday in the corridors of casualty, 56 on trolly's alone, never mind in beds.)
    His intestines is blocked since Sunday, gave him TWO enema's and some drugs - then sent him home with nothing solved whatsoever.
    He's now at home in extreme pain and discomfort!

The health system in this country (especially Drogheda) is fcuked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Biggins wrote: »
    Rather than start a another similar thread, I thought it best just to throw this in here.

Have a brother that is brain damaged and epileptic, lives in a private home that has care there full time.
    He took sick last night (long story, intestines problematic amid other things).
    Rang for a ambulance (which is five minutes away if you drove) at 8.45pm
    ...It turned up just before 11 - and he WAS in a bad way (still is)
    (By the way, it was also counted that there was yesterday in the corridors of casualty, 56 on trolly's alone, never mind in beds.)
    His intestines is blocked since Sunday, gave him TWO enema's and some drugs - then sent him home with nothing solved whatsoever.
    He's now at home in extreme pain and discomfort!

The health system in this country (especially Drogheda) is fcuked!

How is it "especially Drogheda" exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Having had a family member on a trolley in a corridor from Sunday to Thursday Biggins, I can relate. Third world standards doesn't even begin to cover it. They closed the Louth as we'd all get better care in a central location? My arse! If I ever fall ill, I'm getting a lift north and calling 999 from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

amacachi wrote: »
    How is it "especially Drogheda" exactly?

I know of many cases that have not been reported in the media where they have screwed up BIG time and where delays/mistakes have lead to possible deaths and certain some further consequential sad results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

I know its only minor compared to what people had to go through with the Lourdes, but my son was referred to get a small operation done on his nose by my GP to the hospital. I had to ring 6months after the referral to see if they got my GPs letter and any sign of my appointment to which the worker laughed and told me it would be 18 months before I would get a first visit and would she take my name off the list as it would be 'much quicker to go private.' :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I replied by telling her I didn't have the money to go private hence me calling!!

So two weeks ago I called again as I hadn't heard in ages, wasn't quite sure how long it had been. Anyways I was again told that I had to wait 18 months for an appointment and I asked how long he was on the list, he has been there since 2008 :eek: She changed her cool attitude and said they were actually giving appointments 'in and around his date'!! So two days later I get an appointment in the door.

It makes you wonder, how long I would have been waiting if I hadn't of rang? How many people are falling through the net of even more serious case than mine? And I wonder how long you would be waiting if you knew the people dishing out appointments!!

All in all I never have a pleasant experience with regards the Lourdes.

Biggins wrote: »
    I know of many cases that have not been reported in the media where they have screwed up BIG time and where delays/mistakes have lead to possible deaths and certain some further consequential sad results.

I'm just wondering how it's Drogheda that's especially ****ed when people in Dundalk only have the same hospital half an hour away to rely on. Drogheda's not doing too badly compared to one place I've already mentioned.

Also paramedics are *snip*. I forgot they basically just need a first aid course to "qualify", then they didn't notice my dad having a heart attack. I remembered how *snip* they are right there and then. And we were half an hour away from Drogheda. "Especially Drogheda" indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

they basically just need a first aid course to "qualify"

That it is just not true! They are fully qualified paramedics and that is the HSE/HPC minimum. They were EMTs in the past and were phased out or upgraded. I am very sorry about your dad, but i am surprised that an AED wouldnt have been used and would have picked up an irregular trace.

had our own emergency yesterday, could not fault the lourdes hospital one bit... thanks to everyone there, ds just home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

whelan1 wrote: »
    had our own emergency yesterday, could not fault the lourdes hospital one bit... thanks to everyone there, ds just home

Hope you're well and a quick recovery to you. :)

thanks, was my son that was sick, kept in overnight... great staff! results came back really quick

Since I made my first post on Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital on 5,11,2010,giving out on the state of things, from what I was told by other family members, I can now say now say what I think. Last March,(2011) at this exact week, I was taken ill, all of a sudden with serious lung trouble. I was admitted from the house by my own doctor. I was that bad I could,nt wait to get to the hospital from Dundalk. Anyway, I arrived at 1pm on a monday, and was taken right in, where a team started work on me right away. I won,t go into what had to be done, it took a lot of work by a lot of people. I was there for 2 weeks, and the care I got from the doctors and nursing staff was second to none. I can,t say enough good things about them all. I wondered why anyone would say anything bad about this hospital. I think all the doctors and nurses and staff there are top class. They do a great job, under difficult conditions. If they did,nt do a great job, I probably would,nt around to write this now.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I have to say that anytime I have been to the Lourdes the staff have been lovely. Yes, the wait is long particularly if you are waiting for a "routine" appointment, but that is not the fault of the staff on the ground. It is not their fault that the government keeps closing more and more services in the surrounding areas and sending them to the Lourdes. The hospital was never built to service four counties. As a previous poster mentioned, be glad that we do not need come from Cavan or Monaghan when we are in need!

I'm just wondering how it's Drogheda that's especially ****ed when people in Dundalk only have the same hospital half an hour away to rely on. Drogheda's not doing too badly compared to one place I've already mentioned.

Also paramedics are *snip*. I forgot they basically just need a first aid course to "qualify", then they didn't notice my dad having a heart attack. I remembered how *snip* they are right there and then. And we were half an hour away from Drogheda. "Especially Drogheda" indeed.

Forgive me if i am wrong but i think he means " Drogheda Hospital " i.e the one we all have to use from louth , meath , cavan and monaghan and that conditions in Drogheda are very bad in comparison to some other areas of the country .

Forgive me if i am wrong but i think he means " Drogheda Hospital " i.e the one we all have to use from louth , meath , cavan and monaghan and that conditions in Drogheda are very bad in comparison to some other areas of the country .

He may well agree with that get-out-of-jail-free card you've just suggested but if he did he would've said so before now. He was just soapboxing like usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

I had my baby there and all my appointments there and tbh I cannot fault them they were brillaint

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

Worst hospital i have ever been in!! So bad I refuse to go back to it!!
    After my son was born, no one noticed he was born with MAJOR problem's, I noticed it myself hours after my section even though the midwife was feeding him during the day. He had to be rushed to intensive care and Crumlin Children's Hospital for major surgery.
    On a weekend went to DOC and he was sent back to Drogheda when he was a few month's old with a "supposed" infection after an operation in Crumlin, won't go into his problems on this, he was weighed at 12lbs and kept in, after 3 days one nurse noticed they had been giving him antibiotics for a 12kg baby!!! lots of tests followed, problems with kidneys since.
    Next day nurse came in to give medication and asked how was Daniel doing today, my son's name is not DANIEL!!!!!
    Best joke was he didn't even have an infection, it was normal after the surgery he received in Crumlin.
    Have never attended it since, we drive the 2 hours to Crumlin than the 40 minutes to Drogheda. My son's life is more important than the journey.
    Could go into a lot more that has happened, could even write a book on it but best advice is, NEVER leave your children or anyone elderly unattended, stay with them to ensure they receive the correct care.

Wizard01 wrote: »
    Worst hospital i have ever been in!! So bad I refuse to go back to it!!
    After my son was born, no one noticed he was born with MAJOR problem's, I noticed it myself hours after my section even though the midwife was feeding him during the day. He had to be rushed to intensive care and Crumlin Children's Hospital for major surgery.
    On a weekend went to DOC and he was sent back to Drogheda when he was a few month's old with a "supposed" infection after an operation in Crumlin, won't go into his problems on this, he was weighed at 12lbs and kept in, after 3 days one nurse noticed they had been giving him antibiotics for a 12kg baby!!! lots of tests followed, problems with kidneys since.
    Next day nurse came in to give medication and asked how was Daniel doing today, my son's name is not DANIEL!!!!!
    Best joke was he didn't even have an infection, it was normal after the surgery he received in Crumlin.
    Have never attended it since, we drive the 2 hours to Crumlin than the 40 minutes to Drogheda. My son's life is more important than the journey.
    Could go into a lot more that has happened, could even write a book on it but best advice is, NEVER leave your children or anyone elderly unattended, stay with them to ensure they receive the correct care.

Really sorry to hear that . But like anything in life some of us have good experiences and some of us have bad ones , i personally have had both in this hospital . IMO its down to the lack of money , staff and the total overcrowding of the place . Hope your son is doing well now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Really sorry to hear that . But like anything in life some of us have good experiences and some of us have bad ones , i personally have had both in this hospital . IMO its down to the lack of money , staff and the total overcrowding of the place . Hope your son is doing well now .

In fairness to make a mistake of confusing kg to lbs is just incredible...its life threatening!! OP dont stick to complaining here - get on to the hospital admin, DoH, childrens ombudsman, newspapers and everyone else possible otherwise such incompetance will kill some unfortunate.

I wouldnt worry about using the wrong name too much as long as they are working with the correct chats and records.

Advertisement