Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mallow AC 10 mile road race 9th january 2011

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭psychozeb

marchino wrote: »
    is there anymore pacers required for this?
    think we're fairly alright for pacers at the moment.thanks for the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

just a quick question.... will it be bottled or cupped water on the day and will you be doing many stations? What miles will they be on?

Thanks!

corked wrote: »
    just a quick question.... will it be bottled or cupped water on the day and will you be doing many stations? What miles will they be on?

Thanks!
    water will be in cups at around the 5 and 8 mile marks in cups and bottles at finish.

psychozeb wrote: »
    final reminder for close of the cheaper online entries,after friday it'll be 20 euro on the day.

for those intending to travel we ask that you please use the bowling green car park which will be signposted.

if coming from cork direction,enter roundabout and take 3rd exit and continue into the town and just past bank of ireland branch take the next narrow lane(chapel lane)to your left to car park.headquarters is 2 min walk from here.

from kerry/millstreet/macroom direction enter rounabout and take 2nd exit and continue into town and just past bank of ireland branch take next turn to your left to car park.

from limerick direction enter first roundabout and take 3rd exit,keep in left lane and take 1st exit at next rounabout to mallow town,just past bank of ireland take next left turnoff to car park.

from fermoy/mitchelstown direction as you approach mallow there will be a waste disposal facility,a few hundred metres beyond that take the next right up muddy hill,at the top turn right and follow the road(market sq is on your right)till set of traffic lights,turn left and then take next right to car park.

also unfortunately we will no longer have 60 min pacers on the day due to our pacers being injured,but will still have 70,80 and 90 min ones.
    looking forward to seeing you all at the race on sundayand hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Sorry to hear that their is no 60 min pacer. Feic it. Personally wouldnt trust em anyway. New arrival to the family yesterday so 5 days of been father of the year and wrecking the mrs head will get me a pass sunday. Will have a crack at the hour this time. I stated in ballycotton i was 3 weeks away from sub 60 so now its time to prove it.
    Is the 2nd mile the hardest one ? The 3rd is downhill on the main road aint it.
    Seen the best sight there last year. Young one with black 3/4 length tights and a tong..I thought she was a pacer as they were so many lads behind her.
    Look forward to it. The hat is a great ally for hte winter training

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Looking forward to this race. Hoping to break the 75min mark after running 76.51 in Ballycotton. Maybe I should try to hold onto the 70 min pacer for as long as possible and expect to fade horribly in the last few miles. What's a reasonable time to arrive in Mallow before the race?

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    Looking forward to this race. Hoping to break the 75min mark after running 76.51 in Ballycotton. Maybe I should try to hold onto the 70 min pacer for as long as possible and expect to fade horribly in the last few miles. What's a reasonable time to arrive in Mallow before the race?
    Sounds like the worst plan ever. You may as well stay at home if you do it. Based on a 76 min 10 miler by between 4-5 miles you will be fcuked. Its like you racing a 5 miler. Then its 10 min miles from there in.........You wont have a hope in breaking 80 with this strategy. Why not get to halfway in 37.30 on target for 75(it aint a rocket science)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Sounds like the worst plan ever. You may as well stay at home if you do it. Based on a 76 min 10 miler by between 4-5 miles you will be fcuked. Its like you racing a 5 miler. Then its 10 min miles from there in.........You wont have a hope in breaking 80 with this strategy. Why not get to halfway in 37.30 on target for 75(it aint a rocket science)
    This is good advice ! I tried to keep up with a friend who set off too fast on a five mile race but gave up after 500 yards and ran my own pace - at the two and half mile mark I had to persuade him not to drop out after he burned out.

Sorry to hear that their is no 60 min pacer. Feic it. Personally wouldnt trust em anyway. New arrival to the family yesterday so 5 days of been father of the year and wrecking the mrs head will get me a pass sunday. Will have a crack at the hour this time. I stated in ballycotton i was 3 weeks away from sub 60 so now its time to prove it.
    Is the 2nd mile the hardest one ? The 3rd is downhill on the main road aint it.
    Seen the best sight there last year. Young one with black 3/4 length tights and a tong..I thought she was a pacer as they were so many lads behind her.
    Look forward to it. The hat is a great ally for hte winter training

small pull from the .75 mile mark to the 1 mile,mile 2 is flat,3 is downhill into roundabout all flat from there to about 6.25 small pull of about .25mile and a few small pulls between that and the finish.best of luck with the sub 60.

• Advertisement

Ecoenergy wrote: »

you'd want to be at youth centre for around 11:30 at least,to give you time you pick your number up and get ready.it's about a mile over to the start of the race from the youth centre.

good advice from the other posters there about going out with the 70 min guys.i wouldn't do it myself,i'd try and run it as even as i could which i hopefully will be doing as i'm pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Cheers guys.

I've no intention of putting myself through that kind of suffering by following the 7min pacer and my plan is about 7.5min pace though I usually tend to go off too fast for the first mile and I have to work on that. This time next year I hope to be doing sub 70 as I've taken 10mins off my previous Ballycotton time this year and for the first time I'm running races regularly. For the moment I'll be delighted if I break 75.

last few hours to enter at the lower rate of €15 till midnight tonight it'll be €20 on the day after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

Hi, just wondering if anyone can answer this between now and the race tomorrow. I notice that the start line is a bit of a trot away from the centre and probably from where most people will be parked. Just wondering- is there a facility near start line to leave a trackie top/ jacket that I might leave on for warm-up?? Sorry, this info is probably on website somewhere but i didn't see it?? Thanks

Corkie100 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone can answer this between now and the race tomorrow. I notice that the start line is a bit of a trot away from the centre and probably from where most people will be parked. Just wondering- is there a facility near start line to leave a trackie top/ jacket that I might leave on for warm-up?? Sorry, this info is probably on website somewhere but i didn't see it?? Thanks
    There will probably be a van at the start to put gear into and that will be at the finish area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone running in Mallow tomorrow (myself included!), looks like the weather is going to be very kind to us :)

• Advertisement

best of luck to all competing in the Mallow 10 tomorrow,hopefully pb's all round.

Results are up on www.mallowac.ie now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

Very enjoyable race today, organisation was spot on & having showers available afterwards was a huge bonus. You might want to get the poll on the race re-opened btw.

I spotted someone wearing a boards.ac singlet so by going over to say hello managed to meet a lot of the gang who travelled for the race so was good to meet some of the people behind the usernames :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Yeah, met you at the end Opus, well done on your time.

I thought the race was well organised and marshelled. Collecting the bib numbers etc was very easy and the grub at the end hit the spot.

It was a pity that there was a problem with the clock at the finish line, as I thought the finish was very hidden. I was looking out for it and only caught the small wire frame at the last minute, not enough time to whip up a sprint. Pity the start and end points were so far away from registration / showers though, but still a great race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Race was very good....Nice bunch of people doing the organising and very helpful! Not sure about the rowdy bunch of 6 boards.ie members drinking cans on the train back to Dublin though :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭boost creep

really enjoyed the race, and i thought it was a nice course, we were blessed with lovely weather too! one 'over enthusiastic' lad went a bit too far at the start though and actually started shoving people out of his way, i just managed to stay on my feet but my clubmate wasn't so lucky and ended up on the ground, the offender being number 991.
    apart from that it was a great day and a big well done to Sandis and Philip for getting a 1, 2 for West Waterford AC, roll on Kilnaboy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Did this yesterday and a good race that is well organised and a good spread of food afterwards. Well done to all involved and if its on in March next year i'ld certainly do it as its a very quick course in my view.

A couple of things though to improve the race imo. It might be an idea to have a steward telling people about 600/700 metres from the finish that the finish is that distance away. The finish was hidden and there was no clue where it was until you come round the bend so alot of people never got the chance to sprint finish from what i heard.

Secondly, the cars on the last mile was just pure madness. At one stage i found myself stuck between the kerb and a car while the driver was looking at me running instead of where he was going and therefore coming in on top of me. I know Mallow AC can't get all the roads closed in the town but the Garda could surely get drivers to divert right once runners turned left off the bridge for 2 hours or so for what is about 500 metres or so.

Love the hat by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It was a good race a nice course and a lovely spread of food.

My only complaints were:
    1. Chip timing- there didn't seem to be any starting mats which kind of defeats the purpose of chip timing I would have thought? At the finish line it appeared that the chip time was recorded by someone standing behind the line waving a sensor over your bib. Maybe this was a back up though and there was another sensor at the finish line (if not it gives lots of room for error as some people will spend a fair few seconds before they get to the man with the sensor).

2. The start and finish were very far from the club house.

Still though it was serious value for a race at only €15 so I would give it 4/5. Sort out the minor glitches and it would definately be full marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

menoscemo wrote: »
    complaints

Sort out the minor glitches and it would definately be full marks.

Jeezus, grow a pair.

I'm sure they will pull out all the stops for you next Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Just use the distance for you warm/up and cool/down

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

Just to put it into context...

The start of the race was 1.5 kms or just under 1 mile from the race hq

The finish of the race was just over 800 metres or half a mile from the race hq

Neither distance is excessive and is pretty common at a lot of races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just to put it into context...

The start of the race was 1.5 kms or just under 1 mile from the race hq

The finish of the race was just over 800 metres or half a mile from the race hq

Neither distance is excessive and is pretty common at a lot of races.

I regret putting this down now, but I was just thinking of any points of complaints. Obviously it is not a big issue (as I said the race is overall excellent). It was just in our case (we were a decent sized group with several different finishing times) we were in a bit of a rush to get going after the race as we had a train to catch. That meant that some of us had to head on to get back and showered and didn't get a chance to see others finish.

It would have been nice for us to have the race finish beside the Clubhouse that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Race was very good....Nice bunch of people doing the organising and very helpful! Not sure about the rowdy bunch of 6 boards.ie members drinking cans on the train back to Dublin though :D;)

There were 4 of you, drunken lout!

thanks to all who travelled to Mallow for the race,it was the biggest turn out with 749 finishers and the course record for ladies being broke on the day too.

keep it coming with any issues as it's the only way we can improve is with feedback from the competitors.on the issue of the proximity of the start and finish areas,it's a bone of contention in the club also as we would love to finish the race on the main street in town but it just isn't possible.the commitee have to strike a balance on either trying to have as fast a course as possible or alternatively a more cental start/finish area which would mean a completely new course which would have to include lots of hilly sections.

Flat everytime. Great course and plenty of grub after it. I was eying the box of opened milk tray behind the counter of the girls handing out the tea. ;)

Would ye not stick to the date every year ? Biggest crowd etc ad little chance of getting called off/posponed ??

• Advertisement

Flat everytime. Great course and plenty of grub after it. I was eying the box of opened milk tray behind the counter of the girls handing out the tea. ;)

Would ye not stick to the date every year ? Biggest crowd etc ad little chance of getting called off/posponed ??

yeah, we'll definitely be looking to keep the race around this time for future runnings.january is too unpredictable and too soon after christmas for a 10 mile race.

Advertisement