Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age you moved out ?

• 20-11-2010 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

When did you leave home?
    Or is mammy still doing you washing and making your dinner?

Age you moved out ? 336 votes

17 - 20
    0% 0 votes
    20 - 24
    55% 186 votes
    24 - 28
    29% 100 votes
    28 - 32
    11% 39 votes
    33 or higher
    1% 4 votes
    Still at home
    2% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Well i help my mammy around the house i'll have you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

i was 19, couldnt wait to move out but at the same time i was terrified. I could never work out how my mother always had food in the cupboard, even when it looked like there wasnt anything there. Food shopping as a 19 year old consisted of noodles, biscuits, potatoes and beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Moved out at age 20 while in third year in college, best decision I made! In saying that I do spend an odd amount of time at home. Creature comforts I guess.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

21 and still at home! But I'm in college with a part time job so there's no way I could afford it.

EDIT: but I do all my washing and ironing, and my own dinner 3 or 4 times a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

19 starting college and living at home. I'd love to move out though. A lot of people from outside Dublin living in and around campus up here keep telling me how much fun it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

17 moved to London on my own, kinda scary experience but WOW what an eye opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Does moving out to go to college count? 18 then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

moved out at 18 for college, to Cork. Moved to clare in the summers for a job. Now in Germany. I miss the mammys cooking tho, roll on christmas!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Moved out at 18 but returned for varying periods (unemployment/working in hometown) over subsequent years so none of the options above really apply to me.

Oh any most of the cooking/washing in our house was done by my Dad or myself as my Mum was the main breadwinner (and fully acknowledged that she couldnt boil water without burning it)

23. Would still be out only landlord gave notice, thought my OH might finally be moving over here to Ireland and didn't see the point in signing another lease without him
    Back home again but paying rent, cooking cleaning etc
    Wouldn't feel right living here without paying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

17 - but I still go home every day for bitty.

I still go home every day for bitty.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

22. Moved countries. Twice. Back at home now and too broke to move out. Stupid country :( Leaving in the new year for a job and my own space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was 20 and haven't been back since :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

19 starting college and living at home. I'd love to move out though. A lot of people from outside Dublin living in and around campus up here keep telling me how much fun it is
    You dont know how good you have it at home until you move out.

19 - come home any time I need to raid the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

21 - ok i havnt actually moved out yet but il be gone come June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Moved out when 18, but had to stay with them for a few months a couple of years ago. Humiliating. Woulndt go back if you paid me.

I've found it's a lot different being back... more independent now I guess, and we're careful to give each other room. I don't mind it at all, and I was dreading it before I did move back.
    Of course, I still want my own place soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

I was 19 when I moved out, and all the way to England for University! Was horrible at first but mostly due to being in another country on my ownio.. Tis all gravy now!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

23. Moved back a couple of times briefly out of necessity, and while I hated it initially, I would always start to get very used to the comforts. But once I was moved out again, no way would I move back unless I had to.

Moved out at almost 24 as I was moving to a different county, There would be a large possibility Id still be living at home if I had a job near home. Hate throwing money away in rent and sure living at home is a grand job.

Go home most weekends though and for all holidays, long weekends etc so still spend a lot of time there and yes I do bring my washing home with me if I'm going home :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

28 and I rent my parents flat which is next door to them, so I'm both technically moved out and living at home. They still cook me dinner and I use their washing machine/dryer as I don't have my own. But I do have my own living space so I can keep to myself if I want. It's just handy coming home from work and having my dinner ready for me.

sink wrote: »
    28 and I rent my parents flat which is next door to them, so I'm both technically moved out and living at home.

Thats cheating so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I moved out at 19. Paid my own way through life since then.

Never understood people who still relied on their parents to do their washing when they were in college.

They were basically big, drunk children as opposed to the big, drunk adults that college is supposed to turn you into!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

21, then came back a couple of years later & stayed till I was 36!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Im 29 stuck at home jobless at the minute and its a cnut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

16. Longest I've lived at home since then was eight months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Never understood people who still relied on their parents to do their washing when they were in college.

Ive never got this one either.

Surely dragging a large bag of stinking manky clothes home (often 100+ miles away) every weekend involves as much time/effort/expense as actually doing it oneself ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

18. Did the leaving and started working that summer,was always broke and lived on crap food.Went home a lot of weekends but paid my own rent and bills.Dont think you have really "moved out" if your mammy and daddy are paying your rent and bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

As always with this type of thread, there's a difference between moving out and still being supported by your parents, financially/nutritionally etc. as opposed to being completely independent.

I moved out at 23 after I got a good job. Love it and could never move back now unless I had no other choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

22. I had been living in an apartment with my parents and was planning to move out with a friend anyway, once we found a place we could afford, but my parents beat me to the punch and moved from Dublin to Cork, so I had about a week and a half to move into the first house share I could find.

So yeah, essentially my parents moved out before I did :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

As a last resort, you could have temporarily moved to Cork with them while your friend sorted out accommodation in Dublin.

You'd have preferred homelessness wouldn't you...? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I was 26. But from the time i was 17 i was pretty much just renting the room from my mam-did all my own shopping and washing and cooking and bought all new bedroom furniture for myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I was 23 or 24. I'd gotten a decent job after college, and after a discussion with my dad, instead of giving him rent, saved up for a deposit on a place and moved straight into my first house!

The first year nearly killed me in terms of the bills - I had no social life at all and was furnishing rooms one at a time. After that though, I was flying. Have never moved back in and in fact, two years after I moved out, my Dad sold the family home so there was no where for me to 'go back' to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I moved out at 19. Paid my own way through life since then.

They were basically big, drunk children as opposed to the big, drunk adults that college is supposed to turn you into!

I bring my washing home, but I do the washing myself. Washing machine/dryer is expensive to run! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was 19 but like a lot of Irish young-wans I was financially supported by my parents, but once college was done with I was properly moved out. Could never go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Haven't properly moved out yet. I live in Cork during the week for college but still come home for weekends. And still live at home during the summer. Been doing that since I was 18.

Am probably going to move somewhere else when I'm finished college in summer though, so I'll move out fully in about 7 or 8 months, I guess. I'll be 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Dudess wrote: »
    As a last resort, you could have temporarily moved to Cork with them while your friend sorted out accommodation in Dublin.

We're talking west, west Cork, not Cork City...
    Still wouldn't have moved to the city though :p

• Advertisement

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Ive never got this one either.

Surely dragging a large bag of stinking manky clothes home (often 100+ miles away) every weekend involves as much time/effort/expense as actually doing it oneself ?

Yeah putting a bag of washing in the boot of the car is much more effort than washing, drying and ironing loads of clothes :rolleyes:

I always find these threads funny. People saying they moved out at 18 and never looked back/ looking down on people who haven't moved out. Lets be honest living at home is the job and most people only move out as they would be too far from work/college to stay there.

I also think there is a city/country divide. I think city people are in much more of a rush to move out and put distance between them and their home, not visit home most weekends etc.

Whereas say people I would know/people around where I live only really move out when they have to, call home very often and most people around me build houses at home near to their parents house, even if they move away for a while they usually come home and build a house. A thing I hope to do myself if I can get a job near home in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

29 and I moved out when I was 20ish. 3 houses and 4 apartments later here I am stuck in negative equity. Screw you Eddie fvcking Hobbs with your

"Get on the property ladder adverts on TV".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

17- moved out for college and at 22 now i could never imagine moving back! :)

I tell ya the first year was figuring out how to do things such as pay your esb bill and spagetti bolognase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I'm 23, nearly 24 and still living at home because I was screwed by the feckin' recession.
    I'm hoping to move out early in the new year though.

tatabubbly wrote: »
    figuring out how to do things such as pay your esb bill

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I moved out at 18, I'm only 19 now but so much more independent. I wouldn't change a thing about when I moved out I love not having to depend on anyone. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

To all these people who moved out at 18 and 19..where the **** did you get the money???? Did you all have full-time jobs lined up for you or something??

To be honest I don't count moving away for college and being funded by your parents as really 'moving out'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

18 for college, though I go home for the summer. Its the most boring thing going home again except hopefully I'll stay in the big smoke this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

19, go to college, live at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

To all these people who moved out at 18 and 19..where the **** did you get the money???? Did you all have full-time jobs lined up for you or something??

To be honest I don't count moving away for college and being funded by your parents as really 'moving out'.

I moved out at 17 and supported myself through part time work. I'm 20 now and pay for college, rent and bills. I'm 100 percent financially independent. Its fairly tight and getting by isn't always easy but its certainly not impossible. All it comes down to is clever budgeting. Plenty of people have to do it and they do. I hate hearing people blame the "recession" on all their woes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement