Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age you moved out ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

MJ23 wrote: »
    When did you leave home?
    Or is mammy still doing you washing and making your dinner?

15 started working on fishing boats and offshore ships,havent been home since.:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

19, moved to the US for 3 yrs. Moved back and was only in the gaff for a few weeks to find a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

16 moved to london,worked and lived there for 6 years,a real eye opener i'd recommend it to any young person to give it a go,the night life is fcuking amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

17. Go back home now and again but dont think i'll ever move back home again (unless i can't afford to live on my own anymore of course!!) :)
    Have a part time job + a grant to pay my way. Wouldnt feel right asking my parents for money to allow me to live independently.. because well.. its not living independently then is it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Shame on me. I was 27, a week away from my 28th birthday. Only a few weeks ago. I do miss home. I miss having the animals sleep with me. Snuggle up in bed beside me. I only have a teddy now. Not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Shame on me. I was 27, a week away from my 28th birthday. Only a few weeks ago. I do miss home. I miss having the animals sleep with me. Snuggle up in bed beside me. I only have a teddy now. Not the same.

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I was 16 - which isn't even an option on yer poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Even though I answered 20-24, I first moved out and moved to Dublin for work when I was 19. But back in with my parents for a little while when I was 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

moved out at 17 and have never lived at home again, could not wait to move but Id nearly move back now and let my mother spoil me like she spoils my brothers who do not appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

15...boarding school, does that count?...

anyway, there's no poll option for me :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I was 16, nearly 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    I hate hearing people blame the "recession" on all their woes.

Well, I can't even get a part time job at the moment, with the sheer number of people applying for everything going. I try, but it's not happening. Partly because I'm in college too, so I can't work the hours some people are looking for. You need a job to move out. End of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

17 - living with friends is amazing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

17. Moved 5,000 miles from me family to be back home here. Had trouble getting a library card tho cos they said I needed my parent or guardian's signature to join and I had neither in Ireland at the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I'm 24 and still at home. But I did spend 18 months abroad when I was 22+.
    I do my own ironing/cleaning etc, and cook most dinners for the family on days when I'm not in work. Not actual rush to move out just yet. I've enough freedom to not need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

2 days after my 18th birthday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

initially 20 to move to england, then back again til 26, then off to another country where ive been since

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

I'm 37 and still at home. I moved out when I was 18 but, life not being all a perfect tale, I moved back with my parents again when I was 35. Sorry we can't all be perfect like you.

I still love me Ma's cooking. And the parents are so much cooler together than they were when they were trying to raise us all (we've a very large family). They're over 50 years walking out with each other and they are so obviously still in love with each other. That, to me, is super brilliant. Everything is so much cooler at home these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

At 19, I left home to study in London. It was great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

An age older than I am now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

An age older than I am now :(

ha? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I moved out at 18 for college, lived in student residences for first year and paid it myself. I'm now 22 and living independently. When I do go home, I feel like I'm under my parents feet and we all get frustrated!

Love my little home! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Left at 13 to go to boarding school.... moved out for real when I went to college at 17+ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Still at home at 19, would love to move out but there isn't much point considering I'm a 10 minute drive away from college!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Gone when I was 21, my parents wished it was earlier :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Left home in Co Antrim to move to Dublin when I was 18 with no job and only knowing like 3 people in the city. Thankfully it worked out well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Give me a break - I'm only sixteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rahc

Moved out when I was 19. I'm 22 now and been completely independent financially ever since. I pay two rents in two different counties September to May because of college because I still want to keep my "home".

I don't buy it when people can't afford to move out because of college even if they only have a part-time job. It's called budgeting and saving during the holidays!!! Where there's a will there's a way!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I somewhat accidentally moved in with my GF but am dead happy about it. Went to Vancouver at 19 and wanted to get my own place ever since I cam back to Ireland. I'm 23 now and happy to say I'm living out of home. What makes it even better is the fact the my 24 year old brother, 26 year old sister and 30 year old brother still live with my rents :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i moved out in the 17-20 range :D

in my opinion people have no excuse living at home after 21!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Is moving out early some grand achievement? Though fair dues to those who pay their own way through college at a young age. Not something I'd have done, would have gone the way of an apprentice instead I'd imagine.
    23 and living at home. I'm guessing this makes me an underachiever. ;)
    Maybe they have reasons instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I moved out when I was 27, two years ago. But was living at home and looked after my father up until that time as he was/is not top notch.
    Paid rent and bills to him, as you should do from the age 18 really.
    Mammy died when I was 21 and she stopped washing my stuff when i started to sweat lol.
    Is there still mammys out there in this day and age that do everything for their 35 year old? Is there still 35 year old who are working still living at home? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Ah yes. The classic boards "I moved out so everyone else can do the same" attitude.

Personal circumstance isn't exactly accounted for by many people it seems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I moved out when I was 27, two years ago. But was living at home and looked after my father up until that time as he was/is not top notch.
    Paid rent and bills to him, as you should do from the age 18 really.
    Mammy died when I was 21 and she stopped washing my stuff when i started to sweat lol.
    Is there still mammys out there in this day and age that do everything for their 35 year old? Is there still 35 year old who are working still living at home? lol

My brother is 30 and still lives with my parents. Gets all his washing done. In fairness to him though he does make a whopper dinner for the 5 of them... Also he doesn't work as he is studying for his accountancy finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

17, for college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Eh, poverty??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I moved out when I was seventeen because although I get on really well with my mum and she's a good person, she has a lot of problems, really bad OCD etc., and living with her was doing neither of us any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Wagon wrote: »
    Ah yes. The classic boards "I moved out so everyone else can do the same" attitude.

Personal circumstance isn't exactly accounted for by many people it seems.

I moved out at 18 for uni and found it very scary at first.

Having done that, I find it hard to respect a person still living with their parents at 30 through choice and not circumstance. Anyone can wind up at home again for a time, its choosing to stay that way I don't understand.

• Advertisement

I moved out at 18 and haven't been back for more than 2 months at a time since then, so that's over 7 years now. Have paid my own way, bar the odd bit of help now and again. I felt really guilty asking for rent money one month when I had just finished college and was starting a new job in Dublin and hadn't been paid yet, got a big spiel about how I should be responsible for myself. Strange to see so many people my age are still living at home (not meant as an insult, just an observation). Overall, I like living by myself, although I do often miss the home comforts. That's more to do with the fact I keep moving around and thus have basic accommodation with no luxuries, though. I do miss my family a lot as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

17. Never want to live at home again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

My brother is 30 and still lives with my parents. Gets all his washing done. In fairness to him though he does make a whopper dinner for the 5 of them... Also he doesn't work as he is studying for his accountancy finals

Lol lucky him! But if he can make a Burger King than thats A1 to me!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

22. Just finished college and moved half way across the world at the time... unreal kick. Been back and forth since but always had my own place.

For me 22 was a good age. Any older and I'd be outstaying my welcome but I was at least able to look after myself and had earned a bit of money to set myself up. I think it's good for kids who leave at 18 to go to college in another county and stuff, fair play for that. You need to be mature though, I've seen people just throw teenage hissy fits with parents at home and leave but they are rarely mature or responsible enough to actually support themself.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭veruca salt

Moved out at 20.If the IMF have their way I will be back home with Mammy and Daddy in the New Year, bringing a husband and 3 dogs with me :pac::pac::pac: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Moved out at 20.If the IMF have their way I will be back home with Mammy and Daddy in the New Year, bringing a husband and 3 dogs with me :pac::pac::pac: :eek:

I thought the IMF were giving us all 20 grand each? I've already snorted half and spent the rest on hookers with my credit card. Did I miss something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

to those who moved out at 17- 20:

Was this proper moving out or moving out lite when you head to dublin, cork, galway etc to college mon-fr, financed by grants /parents.
    Then back to mammy on friday/holidays with big bag of dirty laundry.

kudos to those any who did it independently, its a big step at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I suppose 18, I moved out for college in Dublin, came home most weekends though to meet up with the girlfriend cause she was in Cork and went home every weekend, I'm just turned 23 and I'm living at home, have a good job at the moment and it so happens that the job is in Kerry where my parents live so really no point getting a place of my own in these times, saving up to move to cork in next september and continue my study with a hdip in education, then with my savings I'll move away for many many years to teach abroad. :cool: Fool proof plan! Or I'll still be living with Mammy till I'm 40 :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Moved out at 21, it was time to considering I'd an 18 month old daughter:D. Went back home few times over first few years when OH and myself weren't getting on. Hated it though, once I had that first taste of living away from home, never wanted to go back. Only did out of necessity, much better than doing time for murder:p. Have a friend of 31 who has yet to leave home:eek:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

home recently, they live in France though, so have the place to self till xmas. I'm 30. Lewwwwzer!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

17 - when I was still in high school. Came to Ireland having nobody here. Wouldn't do the same these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement