Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tatoos?

Options
  • 20-11-2010 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

They seem to be the new "thing", so what do you think of them? Do you have one and if so, why?

Personally, I can't stand the vast magority of them and I think a lot of people are going to regret getting one a few years down the line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I like them.

What I don't like is people telling others that you shouldn't get them unless it has "meaning" to them. Complete bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Don't like them at all at all tbh. I think they just look dirty...and always either black of this muddy green shade. That said, I don't find them repulsive or anything and plenty of my friends have tattoos, I just wouldn't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The way I look at is that once you are 18 you own your body and you can do what ever you like to it.

I like tattoo's and will probably get one in the near future. The whole meaning crap that was generated from Miami, LA and London ink is a bit annoying but if you are very serious about tattoo's most will have a meaning.

Actually there was a thread bumped a few months ago about this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

unknown13 wrote: »

I like tattoo's and will probably get one in the near future.

But why? They're not cheap, hurt like hell and are just a fad that will look crap in twenty years time.

kev9100 wrote: »

I like tattoo's and will probably get one in the near future.

But why? They're not cheap, hurt like hell and are just a fad that will look crap in twenty years time.

In 20 years time, I could have had the tattoo covered up 3 times. If they are done right they won't look crap in 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I like the idea of getting one, but I'd only ever get one if I knew I wouldn't regret it and would happy to have it on my body forever. Although I can't really think of anything I want; I wouldn't get one just for the sake if it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

To be fair, tattoos are not a fad(tehee), they're been around for a very long time now.

Tattoo are starting to last a lot longer because of improvements with ink etc.

Some people are into body mods, why pierce your ears? It hurts and you could get infected :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I have a tattoo, got it two years ago. It's a small black dragon thing on my lower arm. The "you'll regret it when you're older" argument is never one I've paid much heed to; there are things I've done to my body that I regret far more than I could ever regret a tattoo.
    Besides, I don't really see the point in letting potential regrets stop you from doing something you want right now. People make huge, life altering decisions that they might regret all the time, when compared with that what difference does a bit of permanent ink really matter?

I think the people who regret tattoos are generally the ones who rush into it and get something stupid like a girlfriend's/boyfriend's name, some gaudy design that is just going to look awful in a few years or just pick something because it's cool right now. And of course the tattoo artist is incredibly important. You're going to regret a messed up blurry tattoo much quicker than a clean, well done one. But anyway if you put thought into it and come up with a design that you love and the artist reckons will work and age well, then you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Maybe I should get one saying 'Tiocfaidh ar La' so people will think Im tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I think they all look terrible. Cannot think of a single exception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

cat.jpg

A personal favourite.:)

I think they're rotten.

Lawliet wrote: »
    I have a tattoo, got it two years ago. It's a small black dragon thing on my lower arm. The "you'll regret it when you're older" argument is never one I've paid much heed to; there are things I've done to my body that I regret far more than I could ever regret a tattoo.
    Besides, I don't really see the point in letting potential regrets stop you from doing something you want right now. People make huge, life altering decisions that they might regret all the time, when compared with that what difference does a bit of permanent ink really matter?

But anyway if you put thought into it and come up with a design that you love and the artist reckons will work and age well, then you should be okay.

But my point is that the vast magority of people who are getting tattoos these days don't put any thought into it and thus they look crap. They are just doing it because they think it will make them look cool. I mean, a girl I know got the word hope in chinese as a tattoo. Why would anyone get that done? Its just so pretentious imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

But my point is that the vast magority of people who are getting tattoos these days don't put any thought into it and thus they look crap. They are just doing it because they think it will make them look cool. I mean, a girl I know got the word hope in chinese as a tattoo. Why would anyone get that done? Its just so pretentious imho.

That is such a ridiculous generalisation it's not even funny...

I know people with bad tattoos, I know people with amazing tattoos. But I cant judge them either way, it's not my body. What might seem outrageously pretentious to you might actually mean something to somebody else.

For the most part, I dont really like kanji/arabic/hebrew tattoos on Irish people or otherwise, but that's just me not liking the idea of taking a culture completely out of context, that doesn't mean I want to stop other people getting them.

With that said. If I could outlaw something I'd outlaw anyone ever getting a playboy bunny tattoo....

The problem here is that Kev9100 is way too opinionated against Tattoo's and the whole idea about them. I am now backing out of this argument because there is no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

My inner nerd wants to get this done somewhere

AssassinsCreedLogo-1.png

The problem here is that Kev9100 is way too opinionated against Tattoo's and the whole idea about them. I am now backing out of this argument because there is no point.

Fair enough.
    Fad wrote: »
    That is such a ridiculous generalisation it's not even funny...

I know people with bad tattoos, I know people with amazing tattoos. But I cant judge them either way, it's not my body. What might seem outrageously pretentious to you might actually mean something to somebody else.

That doesn't mean I want to stop other people getting them.

Yeah, that was a bit of a generalisation alright. I should have worded it better. But to be fair, I never said I would stop people getting them. I just really don't like them.

But my point is that the vast magority of people who are getting tattoos these days don't put any thought into it and thus they look crap. They are just doing it because they think it will make them look cool.
    I love when people make ridiculous statements they can't prove to justify their views. So you know some people who didn't think and got bad tattoos, that doesn't mean the vast majority do the same.
    I mean, a girl I know got the word hope in chinese as a tattoo. Why would anyone get that done? Its just so pretentious imho.
    Why would anyone get that done? Maybe because they don't like the aesthetic of the English word and prefer the Kanji symbol for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I love tattoos. Particularly, I love them on girls who have full sleeves done. Not a big fan of B/W tattoos, though everyone has their own opinion. Like the OP, I have friends who loathe them, and friends that either have tattoos or love them. One of my friends is particularly against them, and on occasion whilst I'm reading bizarre he can be exclaiming 'what a freak, why would she do that to her body' whilst I'm in the middle of simultaneously saying 'wow, that's really super hot'. Here's some of mine...I don't care what anyone thinks of them, I love them. Though most people do like them, especially girls....I don't think in Ireland they're very typical at all. My girlfriends are done in this style as well. Here are some of mine:

DSC00332.jpg

22458_252429259827_234613914827_315.jpg

Image0008.jpg

Here's my girlfriends (the girl in this tattoo is the same one whose face is in the star in my tattoo)

03122009127.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Im afraid to get a tattoo... if you put on weight or muscle, or loose it, would it not get messed up?

Lawliet wrote: »
    I love when people make ridiculous statements they can't prove to justify their views. So you know some people who didn't think and got bad tattoos, that doesn't mean the vast majority do the same.

Like I said, I worded it really badly. My bad:o.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Ohmygod! Those tattoos above, they burn! THEY BURN!

I friggin' hate tattoos. In my opinion they wreck your skin and make it look tacky. I know there the whole "It's my body" etc etc argument but still, meh, they're tacky. I don't understand people getting random stars and hearts and random dolls and figures etc put on them! WHY? WHY? It doesn't make you look cool, so it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

With very,very few exceptions, I hate tattoos. Some (very rare) times, they can look hot, 99% of the time I think they look tacky, cheap and ugly.

This girl has nice tattoos and they suit her.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cautiousplay

I don't really get how people can just write off all tattoos as "tacky" and "ugly". It's like saying all paintings are tacky, or all pencil drawings look cheap. It's such a huge field with all kinds of styles, there are some absolutely amazing artists out there tattooing and I've seen piece that are just jaw dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

My mother has a few. She got them as a teenager and really regrets it now. Personally, I don't like them unless they have a meaning. That's the only reason I would get one. Not saying that that's the only reason anyone should get one, it's just me. I don't see the point in the pain, unless there is a reason for it.

I know someone who got a tatoo of their child who died. Now that is a good reason to get one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I want to get one, but don't want to rush in and get something stupid, I'd have to think about it.
    I think I said this in another thread too, before my brother got his first tattoo, he'd been sketching it for ages, trying to get it perfect, even drew it on himself to get used to it & what it would be like.

Like thinking back on tattoo ideas I've had in the past year, most of them have been so stupid!
    A girl in my year recently got a tattoo, she's 16 and she got the first letter of her name.
    Like, going to a tattooist who would tattoo a 16 year old is incredibly stupid in itself, I wouldn't trust them, and such a thing to get branded on your skin for life?!

Oh and I'd have to agree with someone above, the one thing that really annoys me is people who get things in chinese...wtf?
    "Oh it's my name in Chinese"
    What? In case you're in China and you forget your name?!

Anyway, I do like tattoos, as long as they're done well and have some kind of meaning behind them, or just look well in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I like the idea of getting one, but I'd only ever get one if I knew I wouldn't regret it and would happy to have it on my body forever. Although I can't really think of anything I want; I wouldn't get one just for the sake if it.

I'm pretty much the same as this. I'd like one, but I don't have a clue about what I'd get. My Mum has a big swallow on her arm, that she got when she was my age, and really regrets it. When she got it, there wasn't much choice for girls who wanted tattoos. So it's been really drilled into me to think it out fully. I've had an idea in my head for the past while that I'd like, but I don't know if I'll ever end up getting it done. I'm afraid of how much it'll hurt tbh.

One of my friends (a girl) has 8 or 9 tattoos and just gets them all as she gets the idea, it's her thing that she doesn't really think them through. Whether or not she'll regret them is her business, she likes them now anyway. I've another friend who got a chinese symbol on her hip when she was like 14 (there's a dodgy place in the town I live that just phoned "parents" for permission). She regrets that, but luckily it's in a place she can cover it up.

Friend of mine got one dedicated to his father after he recovered from cancer. When he showed it to me I knew that it couldnt mean more to him, and I thought it was cool. He even said 'I want a tattoo that means something. Whats the point of having 'Hope' in Japanese tattooed on your chest if you cant read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Friend of mine got one dedicated to his father after he recovered from cancer. When he showed it to me I knew that it couldnt mean more to him, and I thought it was cool. He even said 'I want a tattoo that means something. Whats the point of having 'Hope' in Japanese tattooed on your chest if you cant read it?

Looking tough, duh.

Looking tough, duh.

Nah man if you're hard ya get loads of snakes and naked women and celtic crests and sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Statements like "i think tattoos look tacky" are usually made by people who know sweet FA about tattoos in the first place.

Advertisement