Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tatoos?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

All this thread has shown to me is people who dont like tattoos read wayyyy to much into why people get them and just like to make assumptions about everything to do with them.
    Tattoos arn't a new thing at all (actually the obsession with getting them has died down a bit if anything).Like everything there will be exceptions but the majority of people dont get them to look tough, dont look at them as art, dont get them with a deep personal meaning and dont actually get them to show off.
    It simply comes down liking tattoos, seeing a design or getting 1 drawn you like, making sure thats what you want and getting it done. I have 2 at the moment and im getting 2 more once I finalise the designs, and I didnt get them with any meaning.I knew what I wanted for years and I got them done (1 when I was 17, 1 at 21). Theyre not that sore...well except the spine..... and I dont show them off.Like most people I got them for me. Plenty of my friends dont know I have 1 taking up a big part of my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I don't like them. At all. I would never get one anywhere. I would go as far as saying I have a deep hatred for them. I have no real or explicable reason for disliking them, I just don't like them at all and never have. People can do whatever they want to themselves but I'm not going to pretend I think it's deadly when they show it to me. Especially if it's a Playboy bunny in a rather private place. Just no.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

kev9100 wrote: »
    But my point is that the vast magority of people who are getting tattoos these days don't put any thought into it and thus they look crap. They are just doing it because they think it will make them look cool. I mean, a girl I know got the word hope in chinese as a tattoo. Why would anyone get that done? Its just so pretentious imho.

I didn't get my tattoo to look cool. I have one tattoo, a star, heart and crochet on my wrist. It's sweet, simple and surprisingly not even that noticeable. Anyway all I need is long sleeves and it's hidden if I ever need to

I had been drawing my tattoo on my wrist for two years before I got it done to make sure that I wouldn't get bored of it or regret it. A year later I still don't. Maybe I will one day, but for now I love it. It's my little piece of rebellion, the only one I have really had in my life. It represents so much without 'meaning' anything in particular. I'm not ashamed of having a tattoo

There are people who just get tattoos just because but that is their choice, you can't judge them because of that. the most offensive thing said about me once was 'even though she has a tattoo, she does respect herself.' That was unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

storm2811 wrote: »
    I want to get one, but don't want to rush in and get something stupid, I'd have to think about it.
    I think I said this in another thread too, before my brother got his first tattoo, he'd been sketching it for ages, trying to get it perfect, even drew it on himself to get used to it & what it would be like.

Like thinking back on tattoo ideas I've had in the past year, most of them have been so stupid!
    A girl in my year recently got a tattoo, she's 16 and she got the first letter of her name.
    Like, going to a tattooist who would tattoo a 16 year old is incredibly stupid in itself, I wouldn't trust them, and such a thing to get branded on your skin for life?!

Oh and I'd have to agree with someone above, the one thing that really annoys me is people who get things in chinese...wtf?
    "Oh it's my name in Chinese"
    What? In case you're in China and you forget your name?!

Anyway, I do like tattoos, as long as they're done well and have some kind of meaning behind them, or just look well in general.
    +1, one of my best friends got hers done when she was 15, so obviously the artist wasn't legit anyway. He messed it up and she had to get it fixed like three times. Moral of the story - wait until you're 18.
    But yeah, like anything there are good tattoos and bad tattoos; done properly and on the right person they can look awesome and vice versa. Went through a Miami Ink phase during the summer (Tim Hendricks <3) and that made me want one so badly, don't know if I ever would though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I know a lad with a tiny tattoo of 'My Little Pony' on his leg because hes a jockey. Its brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I don't really like them and I don't think I'd ever get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Lawliet wrote: »
    I don't really get how people can just write off all tattoos as "tacky" and "ugly". It's like saying all paintings are tacky, or all pencil drawings look cheap. It's such a huge field with all kinds of styles, there are some absolutely amazing artists out there tattooing and I've seen piece that are just jaw dropping.
    Well when I've seen enough of something and not once come across a single one that I've found in anyway aesthetically pleasing then I think it's relatively safe to say that I think they're ugly. I don't really care what artistic value it's supposed to have, attaching it to a person in no way adds to their appearance.

Keep in mind I'm the kind of person that would get bored very easily in art galleries etc. Obviously I simply can't see the appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I actually quite like Chinese writing/calligraphy; I know it's clichéed but I think it looks pretty nice as a tattoo.

A friend of mine has a rose tattooed on her hip; she says she regrets getting it but I thnik it looks ok.

A guy in my year in secondary school had a massive Celtic cross on his arm; the less said about that the better. He wasn't even a scumbag/chav/scobewhatever you call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Did anyone see that west cork fella showing off his massive tattoo on take me out?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I have 3 tattoos.

This one on my foot. Buddy was my doggie but she was put down a few years ago. Had her for 12-13 years so she meant a lot to me. There was no question that I was getting her name tattooed somewhere on me :P

Pikachu on my leg. I like Pokémon :P

And then this on my ankle. Just 'cos I like music and stars because I thought just the treble cleff would look a bit lonely.

Now not every tattoo has a meaning or has to have one and a few I have planned have no meaning at all, I just want them because they look nice! I've always always wanted to be tattooed and pierced since very young. Absolutely begged my mam to get my ear pierced when I was 4 and just continued from there! Will I regret my tattoos? Maybe, probably, but life is for living. The way I see it is even if you do have a bad tattoo, I'd still never get it covered up or lasered off as it brings back memories of the time you got the tattoo done and that part of your life. Am I going to get more tattoos? Definitely. I want full sleeves and some stuff on my neck, but I'm still young so I have all the time in the world to get tattooed. Basically, if you want to get a tattoo or have one, cool! If you don't want a tattoo or don't like them, also cool!

Next tattoo planned: Swallows on my shoulders because I love really old school tattoos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I have 3 tattoos.

This one on my foot. Buddy was my doggie but she was put down a few years ago. Had her for 12-13 years so she meant a lot to me. There was no question that I was getting her name tattooed somewhere on me :P

Pikachu on my leg. I like Pokémon :P

And then this on my ankle. Just 'cos I like music and stars because I thought just the treble cleff would look a bit lonely.

Now not every tattoo has a meaning or has to have one and a few I have planned have no meaning at all, I just want them because they look nice! I've always always wanted to be tattooed and pierced since very young. Absolutely begged my mam to get my ear pierced when I was 4 and just continued from there! Will I regret my tattoos? Maybe, probably, but life is for living. The way I see it is even if you do have a bad tattoo, I'd still never get it covered up or lasered off as it brings back memories of the time you got the tattoo done and that part of your life. Am I going to get more tattoos? Definitely. I want full sleeves and some stuff on my neck, but I'm still young so I have all the time in the world to get tattooed. Basically, if you want to get a tattoo or have one, cool! If you don't want a tattoo or don't like them, also cool!

This but people that don't want them shouldn't come on here and slate the shít out of people who actually have or like tattoo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

unknown13 wrote: »
    This but people that don't want them shouldn't come on here and slate the shít out of people who actually have or like tattoo's.

Why not? Everyone's entitled to their own opinions on the matter. The point of this thread was to get peoples opinions. You can't get angry just because everyone doesn't agree with your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Why not? Everyone's entitled to their own opinions on the matter. The point of this thread was to get peoples opinions. You can't get angry just because everyone doesn't agree with your opinion.
    Fair enough but you can express your opinions about tattoos without insulting the people who have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

I like tattoos, I think they can look really well. Fair enough, some can be badly done, or regretted later on, but you only live once like :)

I'll probably get one at some stage, I'd probably make sure it means something, just because then I'd be less likely to get sick of it :P

Also, can you get your tongue tattooed?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

People will frequently disagree with different opinions, both in the "real world" and on discussion forums like this one. Asking someone to develop their points, or pointing out where those points are flawed, is not the same as looking for a fight.

Arguments aren't actually all that bad, either. If each side of the argument stays calm and backs up their points with solid reasoning/supporting evidence/relevant articles, then arguments can be very worthwhile indeed. If you genuinely believe in what you post, you should have no problem standing up for yourself and your opinion when challenged on it.

Now, getting back to tattoos. As much as I like colours and designs, I'll probably never get one. When I was younger my dad said he'd kick me out of the house if I ever came home with a tattoo! :P He associates tattoos with gangs and illegal organisations. From his life experience, tattoos are linked too closely to crime for him to accept me getting one.

That didn't stop my little sister though. She has two now. One of them is really awful. It looks like she drew it herself with biros. The thing is awful, and she keeps it covered up now. A friend of mine from college got a raven inked onto his shoulder blade. He had been thinking about getting it since he was a kid. Loved the image, had his own meanings for it. Within months he regretted it. He wants to get rid of it now.

Another friend has the first design of what he hopes will be a full sleeve started on his shoulder. It's like a branch of thorns binding around his upper arm. He got the outline done when he was 16/17 and waited about a year before getting it filled in. His parents still don't know about it, and he's 22 now. Last I heard he still loved it. I don't see why he picked that design though, it ain't the best looking! :pac:

I like lurking in the Tattoos & Piercings forum sometimes. I've seen some amazing designs there, and I appreciate the craft (when it's done by a decent tattoo artist anyway). I just can't think of any picture I'd want to put on my body for the rest of my life though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

OopsyDaisy wrote: »
    I like tattoos, I think they can look really well. Fair enough, some can be badly done, or regretted later on, but you only live once like :)

I'll probably get one at some stage, I'd probably make sure it means something, just because then I'd be less likely to get sick of it :P

It seems you can..:confused:
    tongue_tattoo_hipsters.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

A lot of the time it just looks like someone wandered into a tattoo shop without any real thought and picked something that looked half decent from off the wall.

There's nothing wrong with that, but for what's essentially a permanent thing, it seems kind of strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Another friend has the first design of what he hopes will be a full sleeve started on his shoulder. It's like a branch of thorns binding around his upper arm. He got the outline done when he was 16/17 and waited about a year before getting it filled in. His parents still don't know about it, and he's 22 now. Last I heard he still loved it. I don't see why he picked that design though, it ain't the best looking!
    I was thinking of getting something like that, but if I ever get off my ass and join a gym, my arms would get bigger and it would be all stretched and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting something like that, but if I ever get off my ass and join a gym, my arms would get bigger and it would be all stretched and stuff?

I presime it depends on how good its done?

Personally, I think the sleave ones are the worst. I have never once seen one I like.

Yeah it does stretch, I knew a woman once with a flower on her stomach, when she got pregnant it got HUGE but it went back into shape afterwards.

It doesn't matter how well done it is, skin changes, it wrinkles, stretches, shrinks, like if you drew something on a balloon and blew it up or let all the air out, the drawing would change too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I like tattoos on people, when they're done well. I like the simple stars/hearts/symbols ones (like Ataven-Halen's musical one)...if I ever was to get one it would probably be something like that but I don't think I'd get one tbh...I'd definitely be thinking about it for months and putting proper thought into it. I don't think I'd be able to bear the needles though :P

A guy I know has a pair of wings tattoo'd on his whole back...it looks amazing but I don't know how you could cover such a large part of you with a picture!
    OopsyDaisy wrote: »

:eek: OW!

Yeah it does stretch, I knew a woman once with a flower on her stomach, when she got pregnant it got HUGE but it went back into shape afterwards.

It doesn't matter how well done it is, skin changes, it wrinkles, stretches, shrinks, like if you drew something on a balloon and blew it up or let all the air out, the drawing would change too.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. Exactly like a balloon.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Exactly like a balloon.

Yup, best way I could describe it, it usually goes back into shape from what I've seen anyway but you'd prob get more info in tatts & piercings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Lawliet wrote: »
    Fair enough but you can express your opinions about tattoos without insulting the people who have them.

I don't think anyone has insulted people who have tattoos, just the look of tattoos (in general) themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

throatgoat-frontgif.gif

Preeeeeety (I really like the Sigil of Baphomet in general as an image)

Not arsed going back for quotes, but sleeves are my favourite (Yes I know the above is a neck.....not related), sleeve is one of the body's best canvasses, and I really really like sleeve art.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

in fairness unless you're aiming to compete in mr oylmpia you can hardly compare a pregnant stomach with slightly increased bicep/tricep mass in terms of tattoo skewing. no, it won't affect your tattoo really noticably unless the change is extremely drastic.

Fad wrote: »
    throatgoat-frontgif.gif

Preeeeeety (I really like the Sigil of Baphomet in general as an image)

Not arsed going back for quotes, but sleeves are my favourite (Yes I know the above is a neck.....not related), sleeve is one of the body's best canvasses, and I really really like sleeve art.

That is all.
    WTF happened to that guys ears, bloody hell

in fairness unless you're aiming to compete in mr oylmpia you can hardly compare a pregnant stomach with slightly increased bicep/tricep mass in terms of tattoo skewing. no, it won't affect your tattoo really noticably unless the change is extremely drastic.

Ah yeah I know obviously it won't change as much, just using an example of how they do stretch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

WTF happened to that guys ears, bloody hell

Ear stretching. A long annoying process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Ear stretching. A long annoying process.

But worth it :D

Yeah you can get the tongue tattooed but the ink isn't going to last long. Another place is on the inside of your lip, like this but again they tend not to last long.

Advertisement